“Pity they have moved”

Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Colchester
Rutland House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 40 Colchester B&B and Inns
Freiburg im Breisgau
“Pity they have moved”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We had the opportunity to stay at Rutland house in October 2008—it was a marvellous experience. When planning our trip to England this autumn, we had to learn it no longer exists as a B&B—a real loss!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Andy1976FR

Families
Business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at this B&B.

The cleanliness was excellent, great service and a lovely breakfast. The attention to detail makes it above and beyond what we expected and it certainly provides value for money.

• Liked — Cleanliness and attention to detail
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 24 June 2008

James and Laina have made an excellent job of adapting this large house to be a B&B, with three very spacious, well-designed rooms. From the dressing gowns for guest use to the chocolate on the pillow, everything has been thought of, to make this a 5-star stay. The cooked breakfast is superb, using high quality produce - the 'organic kippers' are the best I've ever had (though, as they only buy the best when they are available, you'll need to check the night before whether they have any kippers in). I'm visiting Colchester regularly at the moment, and really enjoying staying here. So much so that, when they were full, they let me stay in a fourth room that they don't advertise because they regard it as 'too small' to let . But that (twin) room is the same size as many other B&Bs I've been to, and furnished to a much higher standard! If need be, I'd rather stay in their 'fourth room' than anywhere else. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Friendliness of the owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
hertfordshire
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We knew it was going to be nice just from the photo's on the Web site and all the other reveiws, but it was better then nice, it was fantastic.
~Laina and James are wonderful friendy hosts
~there home is wonderful and the Garden is to die for, you are welcome to sit out there. We didn't have time.
Our room the Lloyd loom room was very comfortable and clean. and a had a very modern practicle en-suite.
You even get bathrobes, and a chocolate on your bed.

Breakfast was plentiful and a great choice if you don't like cooked bacon and eggs.

I would without a doubt go back and stay here.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
wirral
Reviewed 2 June 2008

If you like cleanliness, attention to detail, lovely decor, quality food and friendly hosts then this is the place for you. We were especially impressed by their child friendly manner, nothing was too much trouble, even when we arrived at 10pm.

Stayed April 2008
Netanya, Israel
Reviewed 30 January 2008

As I came from overseas to visit Colchester for several days to visit my aunt in hospital, I was in need of a warm and homelike atmosphere.
Laina and James were wonderful hosts. The warmth of their welcome sometimes made me feel that I was part of the family! The three dogs and the cat greeted me sagaciously and I was honored to have them flop down and prop themselves against my knees
The room I slept in was attractively furnished, very comfortable and there was provision for hot drinks. There was a beautiful modern bathroom close by and I was even provided with a terrytowel robe. Normally I am used to ensuite accommodation, but in this case it was of no importance whatsoever.
Breakfast was served in a pleasant front room and there was a choice of good breakfast items and if I wished there was the possibility of using the front lounge to relax in. But my room was a welcome and relaxing place too.
I did have time to enjoy the town of Colchester. Though this is the first Roman town in Britain, it has kept up with the times and is enjoyable to visit - and it also has great eating places.
One day I hope to return with my family to enjoy a relaxed holiday at Rutland House.

• Liked — The warm friendliness of my hosts
  • Disliked — Cant think of anything
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Exmoor
Reviewed 30 November 2007

A Guest House with extremely high standards which deserves a higher rating with the powers that be! The house is very comfortable with large, elegently furnished rooms with many extra's that make for a relaxing stay. Very convenient for walking into Colchester and plenty of parking space.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled solo