All reviews tapas stable block wing mirrors spanish owner manager james kind gesture four poster bed recommend this lovely hotel bus lane very pleased with our stay pot roast off street parking colchester town town centre location small hotel stuffing bay window
Reviewed 6 October 2017

What a little gem!!!!
My daughter and I popped in for a quick lunch today . Even though they weren't strictly open we were invited in and offered drinks...... a wonderful welcome..
The menu was tapas and there was an excellent choice. The food was absolutely delicious, in particular the prawns and calamari.
We were given free ciabatta and olives to accompany the dishes.
The recommended red wine was perfect to accompany the food, had we not got other things to do we would have definitely lingered for a couple more.
The service was fantastic, Danny was excellent- attentive ,charming and very helpful explaining the different dishes, checking everything was ok.
We will definitely return and would recommend this to anyone wanting a delicious and satisfying lunch. Gracias!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2017

I normally visit Colchester for a few days two or three times a year, and decided to try a different hotel for my one night stay on this occasion. Blue Ivy has apparently only been open for about eighteen months, which is probably why I had not noticed its presence online previously. The proprietor and staff were all welcoming, friendly and helpful, and the bedroom (in the converted "stable block" to the rear of the main building) was clean, nicely furnished, comfortable, characterful - and well lit, the lack of which is often my bugbear in hotels ! The bathroom was also exemplary (as long as, like me, you prefer a shower to a bath). Breakfast was included in the very reasonable nightly rate; it was perfectly good, though nothing special. Off-street parking was available, via a narrow arch from the street. Anyway, I recommend Blue Ivy and plan to return !

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear should be quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2017

A pleasant little hotel based very close to the centre of town the very blue, Blue Ivy offered us a comfortable place to rest our head with a very comfortable bed and a room of adequate size for our visit, all at an average price for Colchester.

A warm welcome and friendly staff, offering attentive service, they serve a fair breakfast although the cold selection was not overly exciting or extensive.

The hotel was very clean, although ours was overlooked for a service on one day of our stay, but I found that the toiletries were not sufficient and the windows in our room did not open (it was supplied with air-conditioning but I always feel that nothing beats fresh air whilst you sleep).

A good outside terrace area and offering parking, the hotel has character and charm and we enjoyed our stay and although situated in a relatively lively location I was surprised by the lack of outside noise and we enjoyed 3 peaceful and restful night's sleep.

Overall, the Blue Ivy offered value for money and I would personally have no hesitation in recommending a stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cazz111_12
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful hotel. Staff were very welcoming and attentive. Rooms were cosy and enjoyed a good nights sleep .

The tapas were excellent and the wine accompanied it well. Waiter recommended my whole meal and it didn't disappoint.

Breakfast was good.

Would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2017

Went into the tapas restaurant in the hotel for lunch,amazing, we will visit again very soon, the food was great the people were lovely, ,Colchester needed a great Tapas place and this is it.Very Good.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends