“All change!”
Review of Gilded Lily - CLOSED

Gilded Lily
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2014

In times past I always prefered the service in the Thin White Duke, but in recent times the Lily has really picked up service wise, friendly, helpful & effective. I have always found the food to be good and the menu at the moment is excellent. My only snipe is the old glamour brigade that think they have a right to take up a 5 seater table & spread their bags out so it can't be divided, the staff soon arranged for us to sit & eat. I would advise you to try this place regardless of the recent bad press.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I got the steak and it wasn't bad, probably liken it to decent bar food but more expensive. The setting is quite nice and bustling, with enough space to have a private conversation. The window seats offer a view of the street, and there is a heated area out the front that you can drink and smoke in.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Last night my husband and I went out for a meal in Carlisle and we chose to eat at the Gilded Lily.We were greeted by friendly staff , we ordered drinks then our meal , my husband had a nice starter. I chose haddock fish cakes for my meal and he chose Smokie , I must say I have never tasted fish cakes like them they were disgusting , at first I thought that there was cheese in them , so I asked the waitress who then came back from the kitchen to tell me that there was'nt ,the taste was so bitter,I even wondered if the fish was off, and as for the chips they were just as bad, my husband would never recommend the Smokie to anyone either.We will never be back and we would never recommend the Gilded Lily to anyone. We did pay the bill but that was a big big mistake. But saying that we were never offered to have anything deducted from the bill !!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a great place and I've got to say they do the best sunday roast's I've ever had.I'd heard about this place off another couple so we thought we'd give it a try and we were not disappointed.I had the lamb and it was just fantastic,The setting is really nice and the staff we're really friendly and helpful.the only criticism I could make was that the food did take a while to arrive but as I wasn't in a hurry it did not bother me at all,but if anyone was in a rush this maybe isn't the place to eat.I can't wait to go back and try the roast lamb again.FANTASTIC

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We found the Gilded Lily by chance whilst visiting Carlisle for the day. We were all impressed by the idiosyncratic and eclectically decorated restaurant which had a luxurious and exciting atmosphere. The menu was enticing and we all found it difficult to choose from such an array of tempting sounding dishes. The food did not arrive speedily, which I actually prefer as it gave time to enjoy the surroundings with anticipation. I had perfectly cooked salmon with delicious caper mash. All dishes were interestingly and imaginatively presented. A great lunch with friendly and very attentive staff. I would love to return in the evening as I would imagine the place has a great buzz at night.