“What a disappointment!”
Review of Gilded Lily - CLOSED

Gilded Lily
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having been a fan of the Gilded Lily since it opened. Eating there at least once a week and taking all our visitors there for a treat, we awaited it`s reopening with eager anticipation. Oh, what a shock and disappointment! No longer a place for us! It was empty at 12 noon,usually already filling up, and still empty at 1.45 when we looked in again! Need I say more?

3  Thank Richard C

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just like one of the recent reviews, my issue is with the attitude and decision making of the owner plus the dreadful attitude of a staff member! I have always been an avid supporter of this restaurant so coming up to my son's Graduation (several months in advance) I booked a table for us to celebrate on Graduation day. It was already heavily booked as Cumbria University has 4 consecutive days of Graduations and I couldn't get my first choice of time (hey ho understood!), Can you imagine my horror and utter distress when I received a phone call out of the blue around 2/3 weeks ahead of Graduation day to be told by a really dismissive, uncaring and condescending member of staff that the owner had decided to do renovate the restaurant several weeks earlier and works were behind. Therefore my booking was cancelled! Just like that. Clearly I was far from the only person affected. This restaurant was fully aware of the high volume of bookings in place at this time and when I challenged the staff member on how unprofessional and unacceptable this was - I was merely told - "look I am only making the call on behalf of the owner". Yes I appreciate delays can happen but the dreadful manner in which this was handled was incredulous. This type of attitude doesn't deserve our cotinued custom so I for one will be talking with my feet and going elsewhere in future.

1  Thank LindasScotland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

OMG! The owner has made the best decision of his life to shut that door forever. I met business colleagues after work for a quiet drink, but unfortunately the peace did not last long. When ordering our first round of drinks I was appalled at the language of a small guy behind the bar shouting and swearing at the staff. I was informed shortly after that the abusive man was in fact the owner......shocking! We decided to have one more drink before we left but that was a big mistake......I can only presume the member of staff who served us was training because we ordered G & T's but were served Vodka. When we took the drinks back to the bar she tasted them and still insisted it was Gin. I have drank Gin for over 20 years so I'm sure I know the difference.

2  Thank Itsjustme889
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We came here on a Saturday lunch time for a girls day out. The cocktails were the best we had that day (will definately be back for a Passion Drop). It was very busy, but the staff were very accommodating and the atmosphere is good, so we didn't mind waiting for a table. The food very good, perhaps a tad on the expensive side for the quantity but the quality does make up for it, for a special occasion. Overall a very pleasant experience.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I've always liked the GL. I was surprised about the write up regarding their rating on "scores on doors" as the food has never been a cause for concern when served - always tasty and looks and smells great. Wine really good. Good choice.