“Disappointed”
Review of KEEZ Bistro - CLOSED

KEEZ Bistro
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We have visited this restaurant a few times and have never felt totally satisfied. Following a visit by friends who praised the roast chicken breast on garlic mash we decided to give it a try. On being show to our table I was disappointed to see the mess of broken biscuits under the table and as we were early dinners I assume that this be from the night before (later confirmed by the waitress as being the case) the starters were OK but I was disappointed by the chicken, small piece of chicken on well wilted spinach over nice mash in a very thin sauce. I am sorry but I could not get over the mess under the table and kept thinking if they cannot keep front of house clean what is the kitchen like?

Visited August 2014
3 Thank chris5110

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and very good prices!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I visited KEEZ Bistro last night and were unsure what to expect as our last visit to the same location when it was under a different name many years ago was nothing to write home about. This time around we were more than happy to find ourselves very pleasantly surprised with both the food and prices.

Getting a first class 3 course restaurant meal is becoming an expensive night out, but KEEZ proved that you don't have to take a second mortgage to be served some fantastic and original food and wine!

Every course was really enjoyable, including the steak and duck main courses we chose which were both cooked perfectly - a medium-rare steak which was nicely charred on the outside yet juicy in the middle, and a duck breast which was similarly cooked to a nice pink colour in the centre. Our starters were just as good, with the rabbit/risotto mix being one of the nicest starters I've had in a good while.

The deserts were a great finish. The chocolate and ale cake was really good, a combination which I was a little unsure of but certainly worked well.

We would certainly book again, though next time we'd have a drink at the bar whist waiting to be seated, as after choosing to have the wine served at the table we had a little more of a wait than expected. Not really a negative, more a point of note - the cocktail menu sounded great so we'll have to come back again to try one!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank ChrisWilcox
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Innovative menu”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We regularly visit this restaurant but Iain the Chef, and owner, never fails to come up with exciting and interesting ideas. Last week we had a great night out and I thought the food was terrific. The starters sounded so good I couldn't decide so had two ( instead of a starter and Main course). I had Beetroot tart and then had Smoked Chicken salad with Apple and Mango.
My husband had a fish night starting with Plaice and Crab Sandwich followed by Salmon with crab crushed potatoes. Naturally we couldn't stop there so the desserts were equally as delicious Glazed Lemon tart and Rum and Raisin Cheesecake.
This restaurant is slightly off the main routes in Carlisle but venture down the steps to Keez Bistro and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Heather M
Arrowtown, NZ
“Excellent Carlisle cuisine”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a very enjoyable meal with our party of 10 who had just complete the walk along Hadrian's Wall from the east. The staff were very helpful and the chef was very ready to accommodate one of our number who is gluten intolerant. The food was excellent with a lot of menu diversity - I loved the wild pigeon! Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank drkenbuck
Annan, United Kingdom
“Another place to add to our regular list”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

After our visit on the 31/5/2014 Keez will be another place to add to our regular list of Saturday night dinning.The food was delicious and the portions were generous served by very friendly and professional staff.The fish dish and the sirloin steak along with the desserts of coconut and lime cheesecake and gooseberry crumble were fabulous.We will be back soon.

• Visited May 2014