“What a delight!”

Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2014

It is always good when a restaurant does what it say it will. When we booked we were promised that we would be served promptly as we were on a steam train trip and needed to get back to the station.
The staff were delightful, service perfect and we were leaving within an hour.
The food was first class, good portions, hot and well presented with a lovely combinations of flavours. All at reasonable prices.
Train day trippers, this is the place to visit. We booked and explained our requirements and they were very well met.
Well done Bijou!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We made a booking late on Friday evening for lunch the following day. We explained that we would be arriving on a charter train and only had an hour to be in, served, eat, and out. They assured us that they could manage it.
On arrival the staff had reserved us a table. They were aware of our tight time schedule and quickly provided us with drinks and menus. A good selection of food on offer and we opted for the daube of lamb. It was beautifully cooked and arrived after about fifteen minutes. The house wine by the glass was excellent.
Although tight for time the service was excellent and nothing appeared too much trouble. Because of this, lunch did not feel rushed and was very enjoyable. True to their promise we had the bill after fifty five minutes and were out on time. We would certainly visit again and would like to take more time over the meal.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Whent with my husband for the dinner menu, and everything was delicious, cooked to perfection. The lamb just fell apart, it was so tender. The meal is ala carte, the restaurant is posh, and abit expensive so ideal for couples and special occasions. But worth every penny. We will be going again.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

It wasn't bad, just not good or good value. For example my cod had pea puree. I had forgotten this when the meal came until it was pointed out to me the little smudge of green hidden underneath was the puree. The meat platter (if I remember the name right) was ok, not enough bread but nothing special. Won't go back.

1  Thank Ian E
Jamesfhill, Owner at The Old Bank City Pub & Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you or your review, we are sad to here that you think we are not "good" or "good value"

all our ingredients are freshly cooked in house and each dish is cooked with time and care, both dishes you have mentioned are our top sellers and we haven't previously had any complaints about price or quality of the dishes which surprises me with your comments.

The cod dish is a good size piece of cod battered in home made beer batter, with crushed new potatoes, pea puree, home made tartar sauce and finished with pea shoots. not sure what you think pea puree is but there is ample amount on the dish and I do believe that when staff came to ask if every thing was ok nothing was mentioned in return about it been not good!!!

the Meat platter as you call it (The Cumbrian deli slate) which it is on our menu! is a platter of not just meats, it consists of all locally sourced produce (Solway salami x 2, Cumbrian air dried ham, two local cheeses, home made fish pate, fillet of Smoked salmon, Cumberland sausage in honey mustard, fresh bread which there are two good slices of, and olives from silver and green.
you can also add a glass of wine to this all for £11.95 I feel that is very good value !!

what disappoints me with a review of this kind is all my staff do check all customers to make sure the food is what they expected and nice, why not bring up these points then, also when paying again my staff ask, "was everything ok" second opportunity to mention comments and to let us know you are not happy, Feed back is very important to us, this is why my staff are trained in asking customers and if we didn't want to know we just wouldn't ask!. Also on an evening we have comment cards on the tables for the customers to fill which proves customers feed back is important to us. nothing can be done after the event and had we been given the chance to hear your complaints we would have acted upon them and made sure the rest of your visit was a happy one.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Me and my husband have dined here for several years and it is without a doubt the best restaurant in Carlisle.

Our most recent visit was for my birthday in January. Me and my husband both had the taster menu and we could not fault any of the courses and it gave me the opportunity to taste things I would not normally order.

The staff were very knowledgable, informing us of every course of the taster menu as it was served to us. When we ordered the taster menu they also took any allergies into consideration, which is vital as my husband has a nut allergy.

The selection of wine is very impressive, and we particularly enjoy the Rioja.

All of the staff were very polite, friendly and attentive.