“Graduation celebration”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Graduation celebration”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My daughter, grand daughter and myself visited here on 17th July as a pre graduation celebration, we were not disappointed. The scallops were heaven, the steaks cooked to perfection and a lovely haggis bomb delighted the taste buds
The service was attention but not obtrusive, the wine selection was good, although a medium priced champagne would not go amiss.
It was lovely to meet our chef, Matt, thank you for a wonderful time which made the celebration of all Katie's hard work even more memorable
Sincerely Barbara

• Visited July 2014

Cumbria, UK
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Went for a birthday treat to Bijou and we were interested to try the "taster menu" which we'd heard about. We were not left disappointed!
We were made welcome from the moment we entered the dining room by the very polite and attentive staff. The food was very tasty and well presented. We had course after course with enough time in between to not feel rushed. It took us around 2.5 hours to complete the meal.
Prices are at the high end for a city like Carlisle, but as a special treat we would recommend Bijou to anyone.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank seanandnic
Carlisle
“Excellent fine dining with attentive service”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

For a city of its size Carlisle has too few restaurants such as Bijou, where one can enjoy "fine dining" in pleasant surroundings with attentive service. The head waiter here is friendly and knowledgable about the menu and explains each dish as it is served. The chef uses locally sourced produce whenever he can......including an excellent Bombay Sapphire style gin, distilled in Keswick.
The course portions are generous and are preceded and interspersed with complimentary appetisers, bread and a palate cleansing sorbet. After all this, I'm afraid my husband & I were unable to face any dessert/coffee, so my advice would be, do not eat for several hours before coming here and try (if you can!) to forego the bread. I'm actually surprised the restaurant can afford to be so liberal with these "freebies".
We were seated in the smaller of the two rooms and, to an extent, agree with a previous reviewer, that the spacing between the tables should be increased.....by removing one altogether.
All in all an excellent place for those "special occasion" meals.

• Visited June 2014
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“lovely meal, great service,”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very high standard service, tasty food, well presented.
just the right pace of courses
calm, welcoming ambience
The only minor criticism is that the tables were a little close to each other

• Visited April 2014
“Still as good as ever”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We had friends comming up that we hadn't seen for a while and we couldn't decide where to go and eat. We decide to go back to bijou as we hadn't been for sometime and we had thoroughly enjoyed our previous visit.
As soon as we arrived we were greeted warmly by very friendly, professional staff. We were shown to our table and looked over the wine list whilst tucking into some stunning canapés and dips ! Mmm delicious. The menu looked as good as ever showcasing new season produce throughout the menu and also serving as much local produce that they can. I choose the goats cheese as my starter. Beautifully presented and the flavours were to die for! For main, I had the spiced pork belly again beautifully tender and the lentil accompaniment to go with it was exceptional. The other 3 had different starters and mains but they said there's was as equally as good.
For dessert I choose the raspberry arctic roll which was heavenly took me back to my school days ! Well presented and the flavours were top notch. The other 3 had bijou's sticky toffee pudding which they regarded as the best stp they had eaten !
Throughout the meal the service was professional yet relaxed as the staff engaged in talks with us which really made us feel welcome.
Overall this restaurant gets better and better each time we visit and I'm glad we choose here to bring out friends

Keep up the good work bijou !

• Visited May 2014