“A home from home - Fantastic”
Review of Warwick Hall

Warwick Hall
Ranked #9 of 61 Carlisle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Val thanks for providing such a warm welcome and looking after me so well. This is really an exceptional hotel with a warm welcome. The room standard is excellent very clean and well presented, lashings of hot water and basically you can make yourself at home in this stately home. Informal but very attentive with such pleasant staff.

Beds are very comfortable and although only a few miles from the main motorway network, this hotel is so quiet at night.

I've stayed in hotels across the USA, Europe and the Middle East and you would be hard pressed to get the same mix of quality and charm. This beautiful country home will appeal to discerning guests from around the world.

Really enjoyed my stay and I will be back to fish very soon -

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here overnight en route from Scotland back to our home in Gloucestershire. I was attracted mainly by its 2 mile proximity to the M6, but found it something of a gem in its own right. Warwick Hall is a large country house set in its own private estate, with beautiful views overlooking the River Eden. We had a spacious peaceful bedroom comfortably furnished in traditional style, with a large bathroom and closet. The lounge and dining room are magnificent, with views to match. The owner, Val Marriner, made us extremely welcome, provided afternoon tea in the lounge on arrival, and then cooked us a superb dinner. Breakfast the next morning was equally good. Val Marriner proved a charming and attentive hostess, and overall, our experience felt more like staying in a friends country house than in a small hotel. Highly recommended, and we would love to come back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Valowner, Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Thank you! We are so grateful for this! We do try so hard to get things right - especially our lovely good natured staff - it means a lot to them when someone like you takes the time and trouble to give us all a pat on the back.
I hope you'll be back when next you're in the north. There's lots to see and do - come and stay a while and let us thank you in person.
Kind regards
Val Marriner

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Am I that little boy, you know the only one who could see the King was naked? I feel like it having read the glowing reviews on this property because my view is rather different. Perhaps others are blinded by the setting and grand nature of the house or are swayed by the other glowing reviews, who knows?

Yes the setting is stunning, yes the building is wonderful but I’m sorry it is simply not ‘luxury’ as suggested, at least not the suite we occupied.

My wife and I stayed in one of the two suites which, I understand, were the first rooms to be used and were initially used for self catering. Ours looked well used and tired and sorry but a little grubby. They say the camera never lies but it can do a good job at deceiving and the pictures of the suite on the net do just that. Don’t be fooled the River Suite is not as large or as smart as it appears.

There are various descriptions of the property on various internet sites, as a ‘Luxury Hotel’ with a ‘Restaurant’ it’s not; it’s a B&B with a dining room. There is no ‘chef’ the lady owner cooks when she is there and when not the job devolves to a member of staff, the breakfast eggs, by a teenage boy. Don’t get me wrong, the cooked breakfast was perfectly OK, mark you large jars of home-made marmalade with other peoples crumbs in them does not say luxury to me but then, that’s just me. There was no evening meal menu, ‘what do you fancy and I’ll see what I can do’ came from the ever so friendly, willing and helpful temporary IC, she did however find a list of things the owner had done in the past. We decided to eat out but I was told, by another resident, that the food was plentiful and of a ‘home-cooked style’ – hum, if I wanted home cooking, I’d stay at home!

Lots of little things let the place down, not I must add the staff, they could not have been more helpful. Little things like a double duvet on a king sized bed (a thinner replacement for the original 4000 tog swelterer – hey, it was June after all) at least I assume it was a double, it hardly covered the bed, with no one in it, to boot; loo rolls lined up on a shelf rather than on a holder, a piece of used soap left for the duration etc etc. All little things that, when rectified, help to add up to a basic 4 star B&B rating. As of 18/6/2011 LateRooms.com still has the property as 4 star and as being assessed by VisitEngland, it’s not on either count and to their credit, the owners make no such claim.

It is apparent from the reviews and the refectory style dining table (no intimate candlelit diners here) that much of the business is taken with exclusive use house parties where, perhaps, the setting is more important than the accommodation. Perhaps it would be best to stick to this and cut out the casual odd night B&B use and please drop the ‘Luxury Hotel’ approach it only disappoints those who know what it actually means.

Sorry Val, poor value for the £150 per night you charge, you only get a 3 star rating from me. Did I just say poor? Make that very poor. If this was ‘Three in a Bed’ you might just make it to £90 or £100 at a real push!

Having seen some of the rebuttals to other comments I have no doubt I too will get a rough one!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank FoodieOswestry
Valowner, Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Gosh! What an onslaught! I’m so sorry this particular guest had such a bad experience when he came to stay us.
Except did he?
It’s hard to know where to start. At least the setting is stunning, and the building is wonderful. Thank goodness we had the slip covers in their suite laundered a week before they came. And I must thank Pam, our hard working housekeeper, for the thorough spring cleaning she gave its kitchen a short time ago. I know she washes the hardwood floors in the sitting room before each guest arrives, so at least I don’t have to apologise for that. The windows were cleaned – professionally – what was the problem?

The things about the River Suite our guests usually exclaim about – the superb (very expensive) bed with its down pillows and Egyptian cotton pillowcases – not a word. I’ve learned the team changed the duvets 3 times. The first night the duvet was too warm, too big in spite of the unseasonably cold June nights we were experiencing. Sarah, our darling head housekeeper, changed it for summer duvet. That was big enough, but still too warm. So she put on a top sheet with a blanket, and a small light eiderdown, to pull up if the night turned cold. Which must be the duvet which wasn’t big enough! I honestly don’t know what more she could have done.

How weird to read that this guest has spent his time researching us on ‘various internet sites’. Why would anyone ferret around the internet about a place he’s already staying in?
Anyone wanting to know about us has only to read our own website. It will tell you we’re a genuine English country house, with relaxed, comfortable accommodation, and absolutely delicious food. As has been attested to many times by other guests.
It’s hard to see what our poor team did wrong. Breakfast – cooked by a grown up, as it happened – served by one of the lovely young men we’re lucky enough to have as waiters –our wonderful homemade jam and honey from our own beehives, put out in small but not airplane size jam jars – most of our guests try to take some home with them. He did say it was fine, but why bring it up in the first place? And why the comment about his eggs being cooked by a teenager? What kitchen in England doesn’t have apprentice help?
The comments on our dinners – which he hadn’t eaten – seems equally odd to me. Thank goodness our other guests like our food as much as they do.

The cost of £150 per night for a sitting room with an open fire, free logs, a useful kitchen, a bedroom with a view of the river and the hills beyond, and a bathroom with a huge bathtub and a very powerful shower, including vat and breakfast, not to mention a private terrace with table and chairs and a lovely view, is, I believe very fair value.

FYI. When we did participate in the Visit England rating system, the River Suite was awarded 5 stars for self catering and 4 stars for hotel accommodation. I dropped out of the programme because it’s a big expense; I felt our word of mouth recommendations would serve us equally well. As they have done.
If I sound indignant, it’s because I know how hard our staff work to deliver the best possible service. We know this person is in the B&B business himself, but we’re all perplexed as to what his agenda could be.

Reviewed 23 May 2011

We have just returned from spending a weekend away with friends at Warwick Hall to celebrate a 50th birthday. Our party had the whole of the premisies which gave this a very special feel. Warwick Hall is beautiful; set in acres of land with the river Eden just metres from the terrace. We had a suite next to the 'rod room' which was beautiful. The food was delicious and to a very high standard. Throughout the stay we were supported by Val and her very attentive team.

Would love to return here again in the future. If you want a relaxing time away this is the place to go.

K Stanton, Essex.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Valowner, Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

I really appreciate getting such a generous and positive review - thank you so much for taking the trouble to write in. You were a super house guest! Many thanks from everyone here.
Val

Reviewed 17 May 2011

When you enter the grounds to this hotel, the sheer beauty of it will take your breath away - the river Eden runs right through - it really is like the pictures on here! The rooms are large and comfortable - it's not like being in a hotel where things are so standardised and cold. Warwick Hall has a unique ambience which I think puts people at ease immediately, and it has a really interesting layout, but I don't want to give much more away than that! There is such a relaxed atmosphere, created by the owner Val - no strict times for breakfast - which will allow you a lie in! Just what you need on holiday! I can't wait to get the opportunity to return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your week-end. Lady Gaga certainly put Carlisle on the map for 24 hours! Thank you for making the effort to send in such a good review - we all love to hear about things going right - it's nice when people let us know they've noticed. Many thanks indeed.
Kind regards, Val

Reviewed 16 May 2011

wonderful hotel, grounds and great hospitality. A must to visit .
sarah and Greg x

Room Tip: all rooms look lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for doing this. Your kind comments (and boxes ticked) gave us a terrific score on the Trip Advisor scoreboard - thank you so much. I hope you'll get a chance to come back and see more of Cumbria.
Best wishes, and many thanks
Val

Reviewed 16 May 2011

My partner and I stayed here for a festival this weekend, we had no previous experience of Carlisle or the local area so it was somewhat a pot luck choice. Well what can I say?-possibly the best choice ever! The owner-val-was a host of exceptional status, we were welcomed with enthusiasm and the customer service received by both her staff and herself was 5 star. The location was ideal for us (we were going to the airport) the gardens and views surrounding the hotel were beautiful, there had clearly been some thought given to the floral displays as the sight from our bedroom window was magical.
The staff were very attentive and helpful at all times. The suite we had was well furnished and planned out-it had everything you would need and expect in a small
Residence. I would recommend this hotel and will no doubt visit again should I visit Carlisle in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011

It was quite a week-end wasn't it? You were all so intrepid - no amount of wind, rain or loudspeaker spoiled the mood. Thank you very much indeed for writing in to say such kind things about us - it's greatly appreciated.
Kind regards, Val