“Pleasantly surprised”

and 1 more site!
Lynebank Guest House
Ranked #38 of 61 Carlisle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Didn't really know what to expect as we thought we'd paid a "budget hotel" price, however we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We were in a very large family room in spite of there only being the 2 of us - only comment I would make is that instead of 3 single beds the room would appear roomier if 1 set of bunk beds and a single bed were in the room - we had a good sized en-suite shower room which was more than adequate and on the whole clean.
The host and his daughters were very friendly and pleasant even on Sunday morning when they were run off their feet cooking/serving breakfast.
We would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and we would return ourselves if back in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Arrived to find we were the only couple in the hotel on Saturday 29 December. Our host Steve made us feel very welcome and cooked us a lovely steak meal which had all the trimmings. We then spent another 2 hours in the bar talking with Steve and his neighbor Will who popped in for a drink. Steve then prepared a lovely breakfast the next morning which set us up nicely for our journey to Stirling. Thanks again Steve.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home. Steve cooked us a cracker meal, I was surprised until I found out he had travelled internationally as a chef so from then on we looked forward to every meal. Eina was a star and kept the kids entertained, a hostess with the mostest ( some places pretend kids aren't there). Her fun loving manner and energy ensured we were all well looked after in their comfortable hotel. 5 star value at a 3 star price... I'd recommend it to family, couples and business travellers alike.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I travel regularly over the border Scotland/England so I thought I'd found the perfect stopover (I've been searching for ages!) Sadly not. The room was great - very clean and modern but let down by a couple of minor points - I could only get BBC2 on the tv - and once in my pjs I'm not going to wander downstairs to investigate - and the towels in the morning were really tatty - one even had a hole in it! Couldn't find a hairdryer so I didn't bother washing my hair. Worst of all - after establishing that it would be OK for me to have breakfast at 6.30 because this was a business trip and I had to leave at 7 - I sat in the courtyard outside for 15 minutes as the place was locked up and not a soul in sight. I eventually phoned and was let in but too late for a full breakfast. To be fair - they did rustle up scrambled eggs on toast at breakneck speed but I had to bolt it down to get away by 7. I see that this place generally gets good reviews but I can only comment on my experience. Sorry guys it's back to the tatty travelodge for me next month.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Happyhoos, Owner at Lynebank Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Since this review was placed, the property has been taken over by new, experienced hoteliers (September 2014) and we will be carrying out a full refurbishment programme and will address any points raised in less favourable reviews. We hope that you would re-visit the property to appreciate.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I booked out the whole hotel for my wedding dated 3rd Aug. We all arrived on the 2nd and from the moment we arrived Steve , Ena and the girls looked after us all. Nothing was too much bother and we all felt like one big happy family. The food could not be faulted, we all had great bar meals on the first night and our 3 course wedding meal was wonderful the next day. Breakfast could also not be faulted. The bar was well stocked and reasonably priced. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. All our wedding party were very impressed and we would all recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We were visiting friends locally and couldn't have picked a better place to stay. It was easy to find with a big car park. The owner met us and welcoming on our arrival. Huge room with a 4 poster bed! Breakfast was excellent. Good value place to stay with warm welcome.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stopped off here on the way to Edinburgh. We had a great room for a family of 4. There was a double bed and 3 single beds in the room and still plenty of space. There was TV and tea/coffee making facilities in the room. No problems with parking as there was a car park at the back and parking at the front of the guest house. The room was on the front of the hotel facing the road which was quite busy and the cars/lorries do go very fast. I wouldn't let the children out on their own. Breakfast was excellent and everyone was very helpful. Paid with my credit card, no issues. Many thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family