“Beautiful Castle and Grounds” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 47 things to do in Carlisle
Frankfort, Kentucky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful Castle and Grounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I visited Carlisle Castle with a tour group. We were given a brief history of the castle by one of the guides, which was very interesting. He talked about how the castle had been built by the Normans and the improvements that had been added. Then he spoke about the various occupants of the castle. Then we were turned loose to explore the castle and grounds to our heart's content (Warning: if you fear steep staircases--this place has a LOT of them).

Though there wasn't much in the way of furnishing or art, you could still feel how old the the rooms were and still get a sense of what it might have been like when occupied full-time. There were a few folks wandering about in period dress, which helped set the tone a bit (one man was "knighting" children, granting them a gold "token" of chocolate--I was a bit jealous as I suspected it was Cadbury's, lol).

After exploring the castle, I visited the gift shop (which was very nice)--It actually had two sections: one for trinkets and children's gifts (the kind of things I like, lol) and one side for more 'grownup' gifts (aka, expensive stuff that I can't afford). Then we wandered about town for bit before leaving Carlisle. I really enjoyed being allowed to take my time and stroll about the castle and ground and had a lovely time--the fact that it was a warm, sunny day only making it all the better.

1 Thank mary g

Cowes, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“day trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Bit disappointed as we went in to see the exhibition advertised.
All there is are some stands with information on. To me this is not an exhibition

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Very lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Beautiful Castle, but not much to it. All of the rooms are empty except a room for reanactors, which was great.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Easter visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Visited here whilst on Easter holidays during a trip to lakes. We had English Heritage membership so had free admission. A great castle that could be so much better if only there was more signage and information around. I felt as though there was far too little info around castle and I'm guessing staff think this as well as they encourage you to buy the guide book to enable you to use the map in the back. As it was Easter hols I was expecting there to be some kind of Easter Egg hunt up and running for children. Well there was but this was only from Good Fri til Easter Mon. Our visit was on the Wed so no hunt sadly, which I thought was a bit tight to be honest as other EH properties we have visited usually have a bit more going on for the younger guests.

We were there for about 3 hours in total and we had took some lunch with us which we were glad about as there was no food available at all. Again a bit disappointing that you couldn't even get a drink. Although there are obviously plenty of places to eat in the centre Carlisle which is only a short distance away. My son enjoyed the dungeons and trying to spot were the prisoners had licked the walls to get the moisture from, horrific times... He also enjoyed sitting on the cannons & the huge tank they had stored in what was probably originally the stables. Pity the barracks were not accessible as they were been refurbished.

In a nutshell not a bad way to while away a few hours, but EH please take note more signs with information on are needed and also a map. Not everyone wants to spend £3 odd for a guide book

Telford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lovely castle, for a castle.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Visited in April and was quiet. Free admission as English Heritage membership. Spent about one hour looking around and saw everything there was to see. The barracks weren't open to the public, which was a shame as they looked interesting. The castle was intact and a great example.