“Lovely lunch but service slow”
Review of Merienda - CLOSED

Merienda
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Ate here in Feb 2014 with family, for lunch. Very good choice on the menu, and there were many items I wanted to order. The food was fresh and tasty but the service was slow, unfortunately, meaning that we only had time for one course. The staff were a little unattentive, and it took us a while to attract the attention of a member of staff. The food, however, is wonderful The salads were delicious, bread very fresh and homemade hummus very very nice.... Wish I'd had time for a cake! I would definitely return next time I visit Carlisle.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely dinning room and bar area, it is a little bit different . There were a few people seated but I wouldn't say it was overly busy and we waited a bit to get our order taken. We had the milkshakes to drink which were amazing but I would say we waited around 30-40minutes for our food to arrive. I ordered the steak burger from the specials board as it sounded amazing and I figured for £9 it would be. I was so disappointed. It was so dry I struggled to eat it, it was quite burnt on the outside too. No body came to ask if everything was ok so it gives the impression that they are quite happy to take your money but not bothered about you as a customer. Real shame because it could have the potential to do well but with the shabby scholar round the corner I would go there instead of here!!

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I have been here loads and i was surprised to see the ratings but then.reading the reviews its similar to.mine...the food is lovely, sometimes seems abit over priced but its all fresh and local which i support. The service however is not good. Ypu walk in and im alwags sat for 15 mins before someone comes and even takes drink order...i've even tried to order at the tills which i don't mind to be told someone would come take my order. Staff just seem really unattentive. However i do love the food and can always get in with my buggy!!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have been to Merienda a few times. Lovely location, good concept and a good choice for Carlisle.
The food is pleasant, simple fare. Brie and bacon tart is lovely.
The service could be improved a little. Some of the waitresses are pleasant though it is not apparent at first that Merienda is waitress service, someone greeting and seating you would save a lot of confusion for first-time visitors. We were also not instructed to settle our bill at the till on any of my visits, so be aware of this before you visit.
Another criticism I have is of hot drinks service. The first time I visited, I ordered a flat white only to be brought a cappuccino. For someone particular about their coffee this is not acceptable. I have since ordered green tea, quite thrilled that it was on the menu. I love the idea of the infusing tea pots BUT green tea is not properly served this way. It completely ruins the flavour. The preparation of green tea should be done in the kitchen/at the bar before service and should have the leaves absolutely nowhere near the tea after the initial infusion. It was undrinkable.
I probably would visit Merienda again, hopeful that the apparent issues are simple enough to sort out. The good concept mentioned could be improved upon dramatically with a few tweaks- notably some staff training.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Visited Merienda again today and had a lovely lunch. We visit Carlisle once a year and always make a point of having Sunday lunch here. We love the design, menu and general vibe of the place. Everything always tastes very fresh, menu is refreshingly different and service very good from the young staff. Recommended as an antidote to the chains of high street coffee shops.