“Does the job”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
greater london
“Does the job”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights for our daughter's graduation. We picked the hotel for its central location. This hotel must have been lovely in its heyday but could badly do with some updating, the bathrooms particularly (the shower is abysmal) but the rooms are of a decent enough size. The staff were pleasant and helpful. I would ask for a room at the front if you want a decent view. And take a pair of earplugs...not for any party revellers but for the loudest, stroppiest gangs of seagulls you have ever heard who have no regard for people trying to sleep.
First trip to Carlisle and loved the city, the cathedral is spectacular and there are lots of cafés and restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank skitortoise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
New Cumnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at county hotel. Basic room shower hanging off the wall the carpet was stained £67 for room only per night. Wouldn't recommend it.there was 16 in our party and 8 rooms booked only one room came up to standard toilet was poorly lit no soap and toilet paper was like sandpaper. Didn't complain as the guy at the desk didn't seem to interested in anything. Won't be back there in a hurry.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank William T

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Room 113 (I think)

This Hotel is situated in a good spot for shopping and sightseeing around Carlisle.
It is right across from the Train station.

Check in was fine and the size of the room was great because we were given a triple when we only ordered a double. 3 big windows opened up to a nice view of the street and the turret things (I forget what they are called)
The room could be noisy at the weekends I suppose and the traffic noise but it didn't bother us and we had all the windows open as it was quite hot.

Didn't eat here so no comments on that.

Wifi dropped in and out a bit but overall was ok.

Lots of TV channels was good too.

I do have one major issue with this hotel though. I specifically wanted a hotel with Parking. I even cancelled a reservation that morning and booked this hotel as it stated there was parking.
Firstly, if you are driving put MARY STREET in to the satnav (Not 9 botchergate) As when you have got to that point youve passed the carpark and its a bit of a pain to get back round.

Now I passed the hotel and struggled to find the car park so I called and spoke to a man who said i needed to find 'Mary Street' and park in the car park there.
I found it parked and went to reception.
At reception I was joking around explaining that I had had trouble finding the place and the girl who checked me in said 'Are you parked out the front?' I said 'No Im out the back in the big carpark' I entered my registration in to the system to make sure I didnt get a parking ticket and that was that.

Then in the morning, I checked out at 11am and found I had a parking ticket timed 10:55am.

I was so angry about this. I went inside and asked them why when I had put my reg in the system. They told me that the 'Car park on Mary Street was not the right carpark' and they meant parking spaces to the rear and right of the hotel.
Im so angry that the 2 people I spoke too never confirmed which carpark to me and now I have a £60 ticket for a £50 room stay.

If you are coming by train you shouldnt have any problems.

Room Tip: Make sure you are parked in the right car park!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma B
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed one night in this hotel on our way back to Inverness. We paid a very low price and wasn't bothered too much about what it would be like. We were however pleasantly surprised as we the staff were extremely friendly and were accommodating with our two dogs. The location was good and there were plenty of restaurants near by to chose from. The room was clean, and had everything we needed. The hotel is in need of a make over, but the fact that the staff were helpful made it a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nomars
South Midlands
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed for one night at the County Hotel Carlisle just as a rest over during our journey onwards to the Lake district the next day.
Plenty of parking (CCTV covered), friendly reception staff, full English breakfast, free wifi and an iron (for my enduring wife) available on request, pretty happy with £45 per night.....no drama`s
Had a double room - was clean and tidy although this and the bathroom (in fact, the entire hotel) are in a tired state.

Would stay again but remember your not paying top whack so don't expect the ritz.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel assist a good nights sleep...........
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank red600man
Crediton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

While travelling back from Scotland stayed for one night in this hotel. It was chosen because of its close proximity to the station and the reasonable rate. When my friend and I got to our room we were horrified, it was small, dark and extremely shabby. The beds were clean but that was the only thing good about it. The floor had not been hoovered, the curtains were torn and dirty and the window looked out on a filthy litter strewn roof. The bathroom was beyond belief and there was no way we could have used it. After complaining we were moved to another room which was a great improvement. The public areas were generally better but had worn carpet and dirty torn curtains.
On the up side the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was good but it is not an hotel I would stay in again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sadie1995coco
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Good points
Close to the station, interesting building
Bad points
incredibly hot in summer, especially the corridors, breakfast for non-coach parties is a bit like visiting a Little Chef, not very clean.
Some rooms are OK, some less so, it is a bit of a lucky dip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business