“Tired Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Tired Hotel”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

As the heading says this is a tired hotel in urgent need of some TLC. Our room was OK and the food was acceptable bearing in mind we were in a group which had a seperate dining room to the other residents. Our room was on the second floor and the carpet on the stairs was not just worn, it was a health and safety hazard!! The hotel lacked any atmosphere and its only saving grace was that the dining room and bar staff were a cheerful and very helpful lot. Would we stay there again? An emphatic NO

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

When I read previous reviews of this hotel I almost cancelled, so glad I didnt! Okay, so its not a modern chain hotel, its an older building and the inside has a lot of charm. The rooms I saw were roomy, bed was clean and comfy. Perhaps the furnishings were a bit dated but sufficent for our needs. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. The location was perfect. I would return if I was going back to Carlisle.

Room Tip: Room at back nice and quiet. No traffic noise!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret B
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The service at the reception desk was friendly and efficient.
You could see the building was once very luxurious and impressive but now it's fading and in need of a make over.
Besides that, the location is great, the beds are good and the sheets clean.
If you are picky about bathrooms: they are outdated and there were lots of pipes and plumbing in sight.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BelgianLaurie
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

While in pursuit of accommodation at the County Hotel. My aim to secure two rooms for myself and my work colleague were unsuccessful. After waiting at reception to enquire, the receptionist informed me that no vacancy’s existed for that night.

I returned to my car and called other hotels in the area to secure accommodation, we never left the car unattended at any time. We then left car park and proceeded to the alternate hotel. Why a hotel chain would then claim £100 parking charge is beyond me, as guests at the hotel do not pay parking and my intention was to be a guest that evening.

Being in the hotel car park for genuine reasons and not looking to park unlawfully.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MontyGee

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Having read some poor reviews before my visit , I was pleasantly surprised and well pleased with my stay, the restaurant, food and staff were very good, the menu choice was to my liking, the hotel was very clean and the room was fine, there as some little problems that need attention but I'm sure this is in hand, I would not hesitate in choosing this hotel if I ever come back to Carlisle, an enjoyable stay, thanks to the friendly staff.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill M
WIRRAL-ENGLAND
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Having wrote a bad review on the Travelodge Central, Dump of a hotel in Carlisle, I would add that my wife and I had to find a suitable Hotel for the remaining 5 nights in Carlisle. We found a lovely hotel called the County Hotel, Which is owned by the Cairn group of hotels, and it was right by Carlisle Train Station and right in the centre of Town. We found the County Hotel to be a pleasant friendly, good quality and quite cheap for B.B. We had a very spacious bedroom that was nice and quiet and although at the rear of the hotel it was a dream room, compared to the Travelodge Hotel. We stayed on a B.B Tariff which was actually cheaper that the Travelodge hotel. Breakfast was a ready cooked, help yourself English breakfast, which was Excellent. The staff at the County Hotel where very friendly, and nothing was to much trouble for them to make your stay a pleasant one. Although the County Hotel was quite an old Hotel and could do with a makeover to bring it up to date, my wife and I would seriously recommend it as a Very Good Hotel for all Tripadvisor Quests looking for a place to stay for a Holiday in lovely Carlisle.

Room Tip: Try and book a room at the rear of the Hotel for a quiet nights sleep.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lbc43
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Look, city centre, ideal for everything, free parking, worse than Morrisons breakfast but cheap as chips. Staff lovely, if you want more don't criticise, pay more!
I have to say the staff were really nice and deserved a better environment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo