“not a good experience”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
uk
“not a good experience”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

used this premier inn as a stop over during a long drive from south of London to Scotland. Booked a 'meal deal' which was a bad mistake. When on a meal deal you get to choose from a very limited menu which does not include pudding. Both me and my partner choose the steak he med rare, me well done; neither of the steaks were edible. The waiter having seen the meal not eaten asked us what was wrong and by way of compensation gave us a free pud. The bed was VERY hard and did not afford us the restful sleep we craved and needed before continuing our drive.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Norwich england
Reviewed 31 May 2010

What amazing value. At £29 a room it is difficult to understand how Premier Inn manages to do it. Having stayed at an awful Travelodge a few days earlier this was a pleasant change. The rooms are what you would expect but meet all needs and are much better appointed than aforementioned establishment. A good nights sleep always seems to come along with a premier Inn. Service was gracious and the only gripe was the ridiculous bar charges (think London prices and then some) and the bar food which those who partook were not impressed with. The breakfast was good though and again with great service. We had 4 rooms and whilst there is a walk down a corridor it is hardly a problem. Overall well done to Premier Inn for showing exactly what can be done at budget rates - unbeatable at this price.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Wrexham
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Stopped here for a one night stay and to be honest, after reading some of the reviews here was a bit concerned about what we'd find. Need'nt have worried, reception staff were very helpfull and friendly and the room was spottlesly clean.
We had evening meal and breakfast in the restaurant and both were very good. (Drinks in the bar are a bit steep though!)
At the end of the day, if you want 4 star service you'll have to pay 4 star prices, but for £29 a night and under £10 for a 2 course meal, you'll have to go a very long way to beat it.
As a conclusion, if value for money in a very well run and operated hotel is what you're looking for, I would highly recommend this Premier Inn.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I stayed in this Premier Inn whilst working one weekend

I have stayed at numerous Premier Inns and have always found them to be good value and well run.

This isn’t well run and I will avoid in the future.

The hotel is an old holiday inn and is generally in good order. My gripe is really with the poorly run bar and restaurant.

My room was fine with the usual large comfy bed blackout curtains and good shower etc.

I dined in the restaurant with a colleague on the Friday night and given the bill was £20 each (food only) I can honestly say it was the worst meal that I have ever had in a hotel / restaurant and I actually begrudged paying for it on my companies expenses. For info I had a small piece of steak dry chicken and half a plate of lettuce When settling the bill our comments were passed on to the waiter only for him to say that he was glad he hadn’t served us as he would have felt guilty. We obviously dined out on the second night which cost less and was at least 10 times better.

The bar lacks ambience is expensive £3.50 ish a pint £4-£5 for a glass of wine On the second night they had run out of gas and had no draught beers or soft drinks.

Some guests may wish to ask for rooms near the reception to avoid the 100m plus walk to the furthest rooms. I was shocked to see a disabled chap wheeling down the corridor so far and he told me that the disabled rooms were at the far end

Bottom line is there are 3 other premier inns in Carlisle and all would be a better choice being newer and being sited with pubs/restaurant rather this tired hotel where the bar and restaurant seem to be an inconvenience

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
NE England
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I have stayed here before and was not overly impressed. The room we had this time was damp. The carpet was wet near the bathroom. The bathroom was dirty and their was mould on the ceiling. This could easily have been cleaned off but was clearly beyond the reach of the staff so they didn't bother. I switched the shower on in the morning to be hit by the whole shower head that fell off the wall causing water to spray everywhere. I had to fix this myself. Whether this is something to do with the wet carpet I am not sure. The bed was uncomfortable. I had to walk miles to get to the room to find that the key-card didn't work anymore so I had to return to reception. The restaurant was ok and the reception area is looked after but once you get downstairs to the rooms then the place is dirty and dated. Not a place I want to visit again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LittleOl
Spalding
Reviewed 27 October 2009

What can you say about a Premier Inn that has not been said before. Pound for pound it is hard to beat. Is this the best hotel in Carlisle? No. Is this a really good stopover on your way to the highlands? Yes. Cheap, good quality, excellent service and surprisingly very good breakfast. Staff very helpful especially in the restaurant and bar.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpaldingMark_S
Brechin
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed here night before cruise transport pick-up to Southampton.Hotel is pretty much what you'd expect,and having requested a room near the back door for ease of moving luggage our request was met .Check in had a very slow turnaround, we stood for ages.
Room was plain and seemed clean enough,bed comfortable.We ate in the bar off the main menu .Food was a bit slow in arriving ,our drinks were finished before it arrived and wasn't that exciting for the price in my opinion.
We didn't have breakfast as we had too early a pick-up time ,but it was £7.50 a head extra on top of the room prices,much to the disgust of the family of five who checked in before us .Has to mount up right enough.If we added the evening meal to the room price and breakfast as well we'd have been over £100 for a very average stay.
We'd use this hotel again for the same purpose,but would rather find a nice 4* B&B for the money if touring.
We get a suite sleeps 4 with complimentary cooked to order breakfast and free happy hour drinks for less money in the States!

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple