“...Noisy, drunks, and did I mention the noise?”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Bristol, United Kingdom
“...Noisy, drunks, and did I mention the noise?”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This hotel is somehow sold as a four star, which won't be helping them because you go expecting...a four star hotel. It isn't. The noise was phenomenal from the street. I am a light sleeper but do take ear plugs and could hear the noise through this. The hotel bar was no retreat either as there were several people in there that had been drinking themselves into an embarrassing plight and Police had to intervene. No food provided for us as we were five mins late after kitchen closed, probably fair enough but we had driven from Devon to Carlisle and it was only half nine. There were no bar snacks either. The rooms were adequate enough, but if you're expecting four star luxury that is not the case. THe bottom sheet barely stretched across the mattress and the bedding was heavy and complicated. Staff were generally pleasant and the breakfast was adequate. Location was central and handy, but seriously, ask for a quiet room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you for your review we very much appreciate you honest feedback as it is only when guests provide us with this can we act and improve on the service and standards given to our guests.
I will be looking into the matters that you pointed out in your review with the Managers responsible and actions will be taken to ensure that there can be no reoccurrences in the future.
Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Yours sincerely

Claire Flint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Thai first
Harrogate
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Hallmark Hotel in Carlisle. The hotel is situated about ten steps away from the railway station and town hall and as such is very central.
Be warned that car parking is in very short supply at the hotel - only one space left by our 2pm check in time!
Reception staff were great - couldn't have been more helpful and we were pleased with our room (203). It was modern and clean, although the bathroom was a little dated and the view from the window was of a very dirty and very noisy side alley (generator type noise). We later discovered that the bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable!
The hotel kindly offered free tapas in the bar for guests between 530 and 730 which was a lovely treat - well worth a try.
Breakfasts were delicious. A fab selection of hot and cold buffet and we both agreed among the best we have ever had at any hotel. Service at breakfast time was impeccable too!
However, despite all these good points we are unlikely to return to this hotel.
Carlisle itself was such a terrible let down and a bit of a shock really. The town centre is very run down, there are lots of boarded up shops, an abundance of Poundstretcher type shops and hundreds of take away and kebab shops.
There is very little for tourists to do in the centre - even the Tourist Information Centre directed us out of town to Hadrian's Wall or The Lakes.
However, the real shock came on the Friday night when the town was awash with gangs of large, drunk, scantily dressed women and loud, jeering, beer fuelled men, hooting at each other and at us as we passed by.
We went out and braved the gangs to find a restaurant for a pleasant meal and faced with a choice of kebab houses, the smashed windows of Nandos and greasy pizza joints we went back to the hotel and had a packet of biscuits and a bottle of wine instead!!
The hotel seems to be right in the centre of where the nightlife is and as a result is very noisy at the weekend (nightclub music until the early hours) - although we had no problem sleeping on the Thursday night.
To be honest, it was downright scary in Carlisle on Friday night. The police were out in force but were clearly outnumbered by lager louts in a town that felt more like Ayia Napa than Carlisle!!

1 Thank Abbsys
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for your review we very much appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the staff looked after you.
I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy Carlisle itself, this is not something we hear often. I was bitterly disappointed by your comments relating to the Tourist Information Centre, as Carlisle has several Tourist attractions in the city itself, such as Tullie House Museum and the Castle to name but a few. I will be raising this point with our contact at the centre.
I do hope that your visit to the City will not put you off visiting us at the hotel again in the future.
Thank you again for your review.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The location is noisy next door to nightclubs, Invest in double glazing! Room decour is tired. Bathroom is a closet with a shower. 1 towel only. Ironing board that collapses. No duvet just uncomfortable sheet, blanket and heavy throw. VERY drunk non residents who the barman continued to serve and not eject resulting in emergency services attendance. Breakfast was adequate but the space provided for the buffet results in a bunfight to get anything. the staff have to constantly restock items and on both mornings my wife had eaten by the time I got what I wanted. NO APOLOGY just excuses and to top it off a car park for so few cars that you have to pay for the railway station car park which is an insult especially as the receptionist said she had only just managed to get a space in the hotel car park! Overall, very disappointing for the price and not 4 star by any stretch. Tavel lodge next time.

Room Tip: Pick a travel lodge
1 Thank Guy R
Thank you for your review, my apologies that you have been disturbed by outside noise, all of our rooms do have secondary glazing fitted.
I am sorry you seem to have encountered a few issues during your stay this is not obviously what we wish our guests to experience and the points raised will be looked into and appropriate actions taken to ensure that there can be no reoccurrences in the future.
Regarding breakfast I am sorry there was a delay on bringing items from the kitchen, we do operate a buffet breakfast and in order to keep this as fresh and hot as possible, items are cooked fresh as and when needed to give the best possible standard.
Once again thank you for your review.

Claire Flint

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

england
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Booked a 2 night stay in the Hallmark with one night dinner,bed and breakfast over the weekend. The hotel is in a good location in the main area of the centre of the town.
Regarding the appearance it is good in the main areas but the guest toilets and bathrooms need to be updated.
The first night we had the 3 course meal. I hoped the food would have been more exciting than fish and chips , steaks and general pub food. However I can say one desert was very nice named after the hotel- "Hallmark" a chocolate treat.
The service in the restaurant was very slow and it was not busy. Not sure why? The breakfast was better as it was self service and the food was good, although sometimes running low on the basics.
The noise was a problem on the Saturday night as I was kept awake by the people in the local pubs even though we were opposite the train station away from the front.
I understand that this can not be helped, but it kept me awake.
The hotel was ok for what we wanted as we were going for a spa day and enjoyed the shops and local pubs/restaurants.
One thing I noticed that the hotel does not have in the rooms is info about the local area. I think they should have this information available as we are not from this area and would have been helpful.
I would not stay again over the weekend period unless I was going out for a late night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review we very much appreciate your comments.
My apologies that you did not find the food more exciting, this is not something we hear often as we do offer a wide selection of dishes to suite most tastes along with daily specials. I will look into the issue with the slow service as this should not have happened. On a positive note, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Hallmark Chocolate dessert this is one of our most popular choices.
You mentioned lack of information on the local area in the rooms, we do have a directory in all our bedrooms which does run through the attractions in Carlisle and also directs you to reception for more information on them or anything else you need.
Once again thank you for your review and we do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel for a return visit in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Stayed at the Hallmark Hotel for one night and it was fab. Excellent service from beginning to end. Room was spacious - huge triple bed and huge bathroom - superb! Breakfast was excellent in every way - loved everything about it.

We booked the hotel with a GroupOn voucher and the cynic in me expected one of the lesser quality rooms ( if any rooms like those existed), but we got a great room with a front of hotel view, which was lovely. We went mid-week and yes, I could imagine that at the weekend a room at the front could experience a lot of city centre noise from revellers, taxis etc - but hey, you're slap bang in the middle of the city centre, what do you expect? Ask for a room to the rear of the hotel, if this would bother you.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to all you Trip Advisor readers and to friends - and would recommend Carlisle too. Great city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the rear of the hotel if you're bothered by noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review we very much appreciate your comments.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on all your lovely comments to the team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed here after a long haul flight from Aus and then a train journey to Carlisle. Service was cold, but room was to a good standard. Some nice new look rooms, bathroom certainly could do with a bit of work to bring to the same standard as the room. The one thing that puts me off this hotel is the management responses, the manager seems to make excuses for all shortfalls instead of just apologising, and this is certainly reflected in her staff too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nic P
Thank you for your review I very much appreciate your comments, however I do find them unjust and untrue. You mention that I make excuses for our shortfalls rather than apologise, you will find on most reviews I do offer my apologies, but I prefer to deal with guests direct on a one to one basis rather than post comments for all to read so I find your comments unfair.

Yours sincerley

Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Had been worried that this would be noisy, central location next to railway
Station, they proved us wrong. Very comfortable, with options to eat in, or venture into central town, wonderful.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for your lovely review we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to seeing you again.