“Very good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Durham, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I spent 2 days at this hotel earlier this week. Great location, very friendly and helpful staff ( one even brought us a circulating fan for our room ). The breakfasts were excellent with a good choice. The room was very clean and the maids that we met were lovely. A suggestion that we would like to make is at the foot of the bed there was a large blank wall that could have benefitted from some artwork. we will go again. JW. Co. Durham.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for your lovely review we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Claire Flint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

After driving six hours from Scotland, all we wanted to do was find a comfortable bed to lay our head.

After seeing the reviews on trip advisor, we decided to book in. One of the advatages was the free parking. After paying £119 to a less than friendly receptionist, and advised we had to park and pay at the station carpark, were given a key to our room. Unfortantly, we were booked into a room that was already occupied. Down to reception we go to indicate that our room was already occupied. The less than friendly receptionist gave us an apology and could not understand what had happened. What annoyed us mostly was her lack of empathy to two tired people.

We decided to have dinner in the restaurant and was told by a young man there was a back log with meals. There were only 17 people in the restaurant! Starting dinner with a negative comment was not a good start. On a positive note, a young lady with short hair looked after us and was bubbly and lovely. The food was good and we did not feel there was a delay in receiving our meals.

Back in our rooms, we noticed that our lights did not work and the shower would not stop leaking. Being late at this stage we decided to go straight to bed. We found the mattress quite uncomfortable.

The next morning we advised reception about our lights issue. The same receptionist gave us a less than sincere apology. We then paid £9 for parking. I would have at least expected the hotel to offer to cover these costs as their free carpark was full.

Overall, we left Carlisle with a less than positive experience and would not go back. In the closing days of our honeymoon, we were bitterly disappointed with the experience and would definitely not go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review we very much appreciate it. My apologies for the issues that you encountered rest assured these will be looked into by myself and actions taken to ensure that there can be no reoccurrences in the future.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food and service in the restaurant I will pass on all your comments to the team who looked after you.
My apologies for the lights in the room, until these things occur we can not rectify them had we been informed on the evening we would have resolved them immediately for you.
In regards to car parking we are very lucky to have a car park being in the city centre, all be it limited but we do clearly state on all our websites, partner sites and our correspondence that the car park is limited and once full parking locally will be payable by the guest.
Thank you once again for your review.

Kinds regards

Claire Flint

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just returned from a lovely stay at this hotel. The best thing is the staff. They are always very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful.
The hotel itself is on an excellent location near the shops, castle, cathedral and the park, all of which were delightful to visit. Yes the hotel is near the the pubs and on the Saturday night there was some noise from people enjoying themselves but it really didn't keep us awake even though our room was right in earshot at the front and we slept with our window open.
Our room was lovely with a great view and very good value on a groupon voucher. The food was excellent, we had the tapas in the bar one night and the three course meal on the other night. Both were excellent and made even better by the staff who couldn't do enough for us. Breakfast was also excellent with everything hot and a good selection. The smoked haddock was particularly good. A mention for Chelsea, Naomi and the waitress with short brown hair who were very attentive but all the staff were great.
I would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Preecey1
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for your fantastic review we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to all the staff especially the ones mentioned they will be thrilled and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

I booked into this hotel at the last minute. I was given a room at the back of the hotel which had clearly had a damp problem in the recent past- very unpleasant. Some of the walls were still wet to the touch! I was too tired to complain and think that I was rather unlucky in my room as others look rather nicer.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was very nice. I would not stay there again, however, due to the standard of the accommodation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Martin R
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Thank you for your response my apologies for the issues encountered rest assured they will be dealt with immediately.
I have responded to you directly on this matter and look forward to hearing from you.

Broughton in Furness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Dirty glasses, dirty bedding, noisy and poor communication with no proactive customer appreciation. Just my experience that spoilt my family weekend

Room Tip: Don't do it
Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DanJWuk
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for your response my apologies that you have not enjoyed your experience with us.
The comments that you have made are taken very seriously and will be investigated and the appropriate steps taken to ensure that there can be no reoccurrences in the future.
We very much appreciate you brining them to our attention as it is only when guests do can we act and improve on the service standards given to our guests.
My apologies once again.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

I've stayed here several times recently on business. The rooms are well kept and comfortable. The staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts are pretty good too! All in all a pleasant place to stay, probably the best hotel in Carlisle.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and your comments will be most appreciated by all the team.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Best wishes

Largs, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have stayed in nearly every room of this hotel over the past ten years, mainly when it was previously called the Lakes Court but recently I have stayed in it under its new guise as the Hallmark Carlisle. Ten years ago it had a makeover in progess but that involved some new paint and some new wallpaper in the rooms and not a lot else.

It was a pleasant surprise during my recent stays that it has been given a real makeover now. I hardly recognised it as the rooms are now amazing. The same old friendly hotel right in the heart of Carlisle city but with a new fresh look which has raised the style and character of the rooms by 200%+

The staff were exceptional. A particular young lady with red hair at reception dealt with a very tired me who turned up with no booking because my company or their booking agents had made a mess of the booking and it had not gone through. The receptionist gave me a winning smile and said, "I will get you a room. It's no problem." And neither it was. I got such a good sleep that I didn't fully appreciate the extent of the refurbishment until my next visit a week later. She gets my "Top Receptionist Of The Year 2012 Award" and it is only July just now!

I have not had a chance to eat at the Hallmark during these recent visits but I went into the bar to check it out and it too has been totally refurbished with a stylish and contemporary look. If you are visiting Carlisle on business or for pleasure then I totally recommend this hotel. I have a whole decade's worth of experience staying here and it has now improved to the point that I would recommend it to even the fussiest person I know. It is literally about 40 feet from the front door of Carlisle railway station and a five minute stroll will get you up past the Courts into the very heart of the shopping district. Because it is in the centre of a busy provincial city there is sometimes quite a bit of noise outside depending on what floor you are on and what side of the hotel you are on. The trains run infrequently through the night but are not overly loud, the biggest noise comes from traffic in the morning and people out enjoying the local hostelries of an evening. Want a a top tip from the travelling Koala? Buy some earplugs from Boots and get the maximum enjoyment from this wonderful hotel.

On my most recent visit I had a couple of gripes on arrival:

1. There was only ⅓ of toilet roll in the bathroom and no spare.
2. There was no soap in the bathroom, only shower gel, body lotion and hair conditioner.
3. As per 2. there was no shampoo

I can honestly say this is the first time I have encountered an oversight like this since maybe seven or eight years ago when they were being mean with the toilet paper and I gave up and bought my own from Tesco and left the spare rolls of it sitting in the bathroom when I checked out as a 'statement'.

Apart from the above minor gripes, and yes I could have complained and asked for some and I am sure I would have got it no problem but was too tired to leave my room, the hotel is just great. The atmosphere in the bar is great and in the past I have had a few sessions into the wee small hours with colleagues.

Room Tip: Second floor or above and ask for the side facing the station. Night freight trains are less annoyin...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a wonderful review thank you so much we very much appreciate it. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay and you have seen some improvements since the last time you visited. I was disappointed by your couple of niggles in the room and rest assured these will be dealt with immediately.
Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes