“Our weekend”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We spent the weekend of 26th April 2014 at this hotel. It was our 3rd vist and was for our 1st wedding anniversary. As expected, the hotel was lovely, our room was fab (clean, modern, great view, comfy bed and extra pillows - lovely :)

The staff were great, friendly, welcoming and very helpful. They went above and beyond the call of duty, as when we arrived home, I realised I had lost a special pair of gold earrings. I phoned to ask if i had left them in our room. The staff phoned me back, saying they had been recorded as being found by housekeeping. I was so happy and grateful that 'housekeeping' had found them. The lady I spoke to, offered to post them back to us the very next day to save us a trip to collect them. Fantastic.

I would just like to say what superb service - and as Arnie would say, 'We will be back' :)

Thankyou

Jill

Room Tip: We loved room 321
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill M
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for a fantastic review I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will pass on all your comments to the team and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Claire Flint

Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here over the Easter weekend and I really wish we hadn't.
After a 9 hour drive, we checked into the hotel to be told there was no free parking and we had to pay to use the station's one. The receptionist was rude, disinterested and unhelpful. She gave me the wrong room key for only 1 night, we had booked 2. She fobbed me off to the Duty Manager who tried to help. He referred to the customers who use the hotel car park as 'di@@s' and promised to get us a space the next day - he never did. If he referred to hotel customers in that term to our faces, what does he say behind our backs?

I was asked to pay £97 - I wasn't told why, the receptionist muttered something about a 'holding fee'. I was told that I just had to pay the remainder after checking out but when I did so, another stroppy receptionist charged me the full amount. A £190 weekend ended up being £100 more expensive.

Although the room was spacious, the bathroom was very outdated and needed a complete overhaul. Food was adequate and location OK.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank CavBay
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for your review to which I have responded directly to you.

Yours sincerly

Reviewed 16 April 2014

It is easy to reach this hotel, it has a car park, but only with very limited space. It is behind the hotel, secured by a gate. The hotel itself has a lift. The atmosphere in this hotel is friendly and nice, the stuff is friendly and helpful. Unfortunately I had to change my room (308) because there was no WiFi available (at the very end of the corridor). After speaking to the manager it was no problem to change the room. The rooms are clean, but mine (101) was very small, but still big enough for 1 guy like me ;) The bed was comfortable, so I had a good night. There are a lot of nice bars and pubs just around the corner to get some nice food and/or drinks. The breakfast was okay, apart from the scrambled eggs and the mushrooms (anyhow strange), everything else - nothing special.

Room Tip: Room nr 308 is not covered by WiFi, located at the very end of the corridor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Franz F

Thank you for your review and comments which we take on board. The WIFI has now be rectified this was done immediately once we were aware of this.

Thank you again and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

my wife and i whent to this hotel for a 4 night stay at the end of march .The recepionist was very effcient and greated us with a smile .The room was clean and very well presented .We had booked breakfast and evening meal for 2 nights and the meals were that good that we booked the other 2 as well [ try the musseles and the lanb ragu they were both very good ] .Nothing was too mutch trouble for any of the staff from the the resturant manager [shame he is a arsenal fan ] waitimg on staff and cleaners .The only down side was that we thought the wine was too expensive .All in all this was a very good break and one that we will repeat

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the team especially the Head Chef he will be thrilled that you enjoyed your food.
Apologies about the staffs taste in football teams, I completely understand Arsenal of all teams!
Thank you again and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I recently spent Two nights at this hotel, a Saturday and a Sunday Night. Staff were efficient and helpful at check in. The Room was Clean, and very adequate for our needs. Bathroom was very spacious and with plenty of Shampoo, soap, body wash ect.. Breakfast time was very busy and was a little Shambolic, with long Ques , having to wait for the very small Buffet area to be re-stocked.. Food provided though was Good and the Coffee was Great..The Hotel is in a Great Location with regard to the Train Station and all Local attractions.. I would recommend this Hotel for a One or Two Night stay..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank biddieboy

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Apologies about the queues at breakfast, this is sometimes unavoidable when we are busy and everyone decides they would like breakfast at the same time.
I will pass on your comments to the team and we very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just come back from a nights stay at hallmark hotel.Great location next to station but surprisingly enough we weren't disturbed by the noise of trains.We upgraded our room and were delighted at the size and amenities ,we had a great nights sleep.Hotel staff were really friendly and our breakfast was lovely,plenty of choice .Will definitely stay there next time we are in Carlisle.!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We were checked in for Mother's day, for 2 nights, a present from the children via Groupon, at least we learnt never ever to use Groupon again, shoddy, rude and aggressive!!! The hotel room, number 224 was lovely, apart from one of the wardrobe doors hanging off, and the bathroom mirror light not working, oh and no hot water in the evening or next morning for a shower before breakfast.... A really nice guy from maintenance soon sorted the water problem however. Other than that the room was great, big comfy bed, terrible view over an alley, but fine for a hotel so convenient to the railway station. Overall, the staff were lovely and really helpful, the bar was very pleasant, but unless you've recently won the lottery, or enjoy being ripped off, I would avoid it, glad we brought our own to drink in the comfort of our room. The bistro restaurant seemed welcoming, but sadly the food can only be described as shocking! If you want value for money food, there are loads of great restaurants and takeaways very close by... I'm guessing it must've been the chefs' night off and one of the staff's 4 year olds' had been left in charge of the kitchen, my partner is vegetarian, there were only 2 options for the starter, and one for the main course, to say they were bland, tasteless and very poor quality would be an understatement, the non vegetarian food wasn't too bad, but not much of it and astronomically priced for what it was, we both left feeling very shocked and still hungry, just grateful that we hadn't had a bill for it as it was part of the 2 night deal. I'd have enjoyed a £2.49 Mcdonalds happy meal more, and it would have been more tasty, filling and nutritious!! Breakfast the next morning was a different story, welcome back Chef! It was excellent, great choices, well presented and more what I would expect from a quality hotel. I must add that we enjoyed our stay at The Hallmark, and would go again, if only for the superb Indian restaurant over the road, would just make sure to avoid the bar and only have breakfast there.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ptl42
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for you review and my sincere apologies you have been disappointed by some aspects of your stay. The comments regarding food shock me as you can see from other reviews this is not something we hear often. I will of course ensure these points are raised with the Head Chef and his team. Regarding the bar prices, we continually monitor our prices in the local area and we are in comparison with venues of similar standard, we will of course never match some of the competition in the area but then again they are of a much lower standard then us so we would not want to.
Thank you once again and I do hope that you would consider re visiting in the future.

Yours sincerely