“Noisy, hot and disappointing.”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
London, United Kingdom
“Noisy, hot and disappointing.”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Checked in for one night as part of the Hadrian's wall walk. Check in was fast but from then on, the stay was disappointing. Windows painted hot..room stuffy. Furniture placed just behind the door so could hardly get through with rucksacks. Woken at 3am by street noise and bin collection.
We fed this back to the staff at check out..no eye contact and feedback ignored.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Louise B
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay. We will take your comments on board and take any necessary steps we can to ensure that these are rectified.

Yours sincerely

Claire Flint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Visited here by chance in March on my way to Scotland. Welcomed by polite helpful staff and given clear directions to our room.

WOW our room was amazing we upgraded for £25. Although the view was a wall i didnt go to stay in a hotel to look out of the window. We had a 4 poster bed the was huge. Tea coffee and really nice biscuits.

One thing I loved and dont see very often is a full length mirror. Little things make a big difference.

Evening meal was out of this world. I wasnt expecting the excellent menu and quality we were presented with. Starter, main and dessert I ate every single bit and think i could have licked my plate clean.

Breakfast again wonderful - help yourself with tea and coffee n your table within minutes.

Quite a few business people travelling seem to use this place as right next to Carlisle train station.

I cant wait to go back and although its a long was for a night stay its well worth it - upgrade a must as a couple we spoke to in the bar had got a group on voucher (or simular) said room ok but wish they had upgraded.

The 2 lads on the bar were hilarious and really entertained us. Think one was called Andy had us in stitches when told us last week he was called juile. We looked puzzled but then went on to explain he didnt have his name badge so borrowed one but julie was the only one left.

Room Tip: Upgrade to 4 poster bed its the best nights sleep you will ever have
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tori4187069
Thank you for your wonderful review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your lovely comments to the team, especially the bar staff and we hope to see you again very soon.

Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night on business; it has a good central location right next to the train station and within easy walking distance of a shopping centre. There are also loads of restaurants and bars close by.
The good bits! Check in was fast and the two members of staff were really friendly. Breakfast the following morning was also pretty good with choices of juice, cereals, pastries and some very good cooked options. Free wifi was also on offer.
The bad! I had room 204 and it was easily one of the worst rooms I’ve had for a very long time. The furnishings and décor were OK but nothing to write home about. The bed was truly awful, the mattress was completely gone and all I could feel were the springs! The bathroom was also of a very poor standard and if typical of the hotel they need to upgrade soon. The worst thing for me, the room stank of stale smoke, and the windows were sealed up with paint. When I asked to be moved I was told the hotel was full but they would try and get the windows open and leave air fresheners in the room. I went out for dinner and on my return the windows were open but no sign of the promised air freshener. On going to bed I soon realised the smell wasn’t just in the room but impregnated in the bed spread and blanket, it was disgusting for a non-smoker.
There weren’t any ashtrays in the room, and I’m not sure if the hotel has a non-smoking bedroom policy, but if you are booking the Hallmark and hate the smell of tobacco smoke as much as me ensure you ask for a non-smoking room!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan S
Thank you for your review and comments which we very much appreciate and take very seriously. The hotel is non smoking unfortunately not all of out guest abide to this and we do get people smoking in the bedrooms. Once this is identified we do have the rooms cleaned and the bedding etc and charge this to the guest which has now been done.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention whilst the housekeeping staff are very good at what they do sometimes they can miss things like this when busy its easy done.
Many thanks again and I do we can see you again at the hotel very soon.

Claire Flint

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Our room was great, but our friends suffered from noise from the night club next door. Don't let that put you off though, the food, especially the breakfast, is superb, the rooms are comfortable and spacious and the hotel is right next door to the rail station. Ask for a room on the station side of the hotel and your stay will be perfect.

I would recomend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shian2010
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your review and nice comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the team and we very much hope to see you again in the future.

Gourock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have been to this hotel a number of times, for christmas shopping days in Carlisle, also the New Years eve gala in the hotel. lovely rooms, staff, food etc. Be early as parking is a little tight in the car park. But, on the whole a nice place.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review and delighted that you have returned yet again and enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the team and we look forward to seeing you again, maybe even at New Year?

Hitchin
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Decor a little dated but service, cleanliness and food absolutely great. The dinner menu was quite limited. Happy to return for the second pre-booked night. Being the closest hotel to the rail station was a bonus for us leaving on the 08.28

Room Tip: Just book it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

liverpool
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed one night in a twin room - 115. Lovely spacious room. Bathroom suite a very dated colour and a shower curtain - but extremely clean and nice toiletries. It overlooked the side towards the station. Didn't hear any noise and we slept with the window open. The hotel own parking is tiny and tight to say the least! You need to drive through the station car park to find it and have nerves of steel when it comes to parking. The breakfast was lovely. Everything you need, hot and plentiful. The only complaint, which is not the hotel's fault really, is the number of smokers literally either side of the main entrance. You have run the gauntlet of smoke to get in and out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Apologies about outside we do try and keep people away from the main doors but with it being such a public place and near the train station, sometimes we are fighting a loosing battle!
I will pass on all your lovely comments to the team and we do hope to see you again in the future.