“Buy a gift ”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Lanark, United Kingdom
“Buy a gift ”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Cracking hotel in a cracking location right next to the train station
Room was lovely
Food was alright
The service in the hotel is top notch and very friendly
I don't think there is anything bad you could say about this place
Except there wine was warm

Stayed July 2014
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your comments onto the team. I noted the one about the wine which I must apologise for and this will be dealt with immediately.

Claire Flint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Thai first
Bournemouth
Reviewed 23 July 2014

As has been said by others, this hotel is very handy for the station so no complaints there. We arrived as part of a group of 40 and were given room 224. Whilst the actual room room was acceptable the outlook was another matter. Firstly the window had wire mesh over it (perhaps to keep pigeons out) and the view was of a dirty, scruffy small inner courtyard, probably facing buildings that do not form part of the hotel. This was towards the end of June and the room was airless. Added to that the periodic fan noise that started up during the night was the icing on the cake. To be fair, we did call down to Reception re the heat in the room/noise outside and they promptly sent a fan but with the window closed and the fan going sleep was not easy so we switched it off as it was just pushing around warm air.

So, it was window closed and sleep in a 'sauna' or have the window open in the hope there might be a bit of breeze and the chance to nod off when the extractor fan was not working. Probably had very little sleep at all. Could not face eating in the function room with it's black curtains excluding all light which was allocated to our group so had dinner and breakfast elsewhere.

Pics are attached of the outlook. Don't accept 224.

Room Tip: Decline Rm 224 if it is allocated to you.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your points which we take on board and will look into and rectify where we can.
Being a City Centre Hotel views can be restrictive The room allocated did look onto a neighbouring building as do a lot of our rooms, we are very limited as I said for rooms with any views.
I am sorry that you felt you could not dine in the room allocated, this is the room used for large groups of which we have never received complaints before. I am sure had you dined you would have enjoyed the experience and the food as the rest of your group did.
Thank you again for your review and points and apologies that you did not enjoyed your stay with us.

Yours sincerely

Claire Flint

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I had a brilliant break at this hotel. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. (Room 116). With good views of the square even with the window wide open at night it wasn't too noisy. My friend is a wheelchair user, the hotel is old, and has 2 quite steep ramps however a member of staff always assisted us in and out of the hotel with a smile on their face. Breakfast was excellent, one of the best ever, only small gripe is no knives for you toast etc and a shortage of serving spoons for fruit etc, but crusty bread and croissants are outstanding. Carlisle is a lovely city with a very restful,atmosphere, I will be back soon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review and I am glad that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us, and especially that the staff looked after you as they did. I will pass your comments onto those involved and the rest of the team and we hope to see you both again soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just steps away from the Carlisle railway station, nothing could be more convenient than the Hallmark Carlisle. It's been nicely made over, but all the fresh paint, carpet and decor can't hide the fact this is a quite old hotel. No matter, it is perfectly comfortable, beds are terrific, and whilst a bit loud with the windows open, things mostly quiet down after 11. Super friendly and helpful staff, breakfast buffet nothing special but okay to start your day. Large baths are nice. Rickety old elevator. Doors slamming on your floor occasionally startle you awake. Wi-Fi in the reception and bar, but not in the rooms - at least not on the upper floors. But clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and convenient. Perfect for an overnight.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are a bit more quiet. Your choice whether you want street noise or train station no...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your nice review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your comments onto the team and we hope to see you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is very handy for the train station, cathedral, shops etc. my daughter and grand daughters room was large and spacious. My double room 301 was in comparison small and quite pokey. There was not extra lighting in the room save the central ceiling light, making applying make-up quite difficult as the room was dark to start with. During my nights sleep I was bitten on my neck, shoulder, upper arm and back I don't know what by - but the manager next morning was quick to point put it wasn't 'bed bugs I had twenty four bites in all, this resulted in my visiting my local well being centre the following day and being given double strength antibiotics. The manager inspected my room four hours after I vacated it and 'reassured' me that there was no blood on the sheets! Surely house-keeping had cleaned my room by then, I over heard him say to I presume a care taker 'to Hoover that bed'. I didn't feel that my complaint had been dealt with to my satisfaction. Sophie on reception was very polite and nothing was too much trouble.
I would not feel happy staying in this hotel again, I realise that bugs can be everywhere, but I feel I got short shrift from the manager and would not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your review although we do find some of the comments unjust and unfair. The complaint was dealt with by the Duty Managers in a swift and competent manner and I have since conversed with you directly on e mail.

Regards

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stopped by at the hotel en route to using the station next door to continue my trip north for a cup of coffee

The coffee was the most expensive I have ever had at a hotel, being well over £3, and was out of a machine for that. I would not recommend at all as it was not pleasant. Also the staff were complacent about price and quality - not a good sign

Room Tip: I cannot comment further on anything other than coffee and staff attitude
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review which we take on board. Our coffee is competitively priced for the fresh ground quality that you receive and we get numerous compliments about it.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Enjoyed a 2 nights stay (with the reviewer below) on a golfing break in Cumbria.

Hotel is ideally situated and rooms well appointed.

The staff here are it's prize asset with superb service from every member of staff we encountered throughout our stay.

The food is of the highest quality, unlike our golf, and I would have no hesitation in visiting again and recommending the Hallmark to others.

Thanks in particular to Claire who organised our stay some 6 months in advance.

Room Tip: Depending on where your room is, the neighbouring premises has some noisy air conditioning units tha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Look forward to seeing you all again in the future.