“Surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Decided to stop off for one night on way back from Scotland on the train. We choose Carlisle had a look on the net for a hotel near to the station did not realise just how close it was. When we arrived it was raining very hard so after waiting for 10 min in the station we decided to get a taxi to the hotel. On walking out of the station we spotted our hotel just across from the station what a fab location. The hotel itself was very nice lovely reception area and bar looking out at front of the station. Our room very nice very clean with a nice comfortable bed. We did not eat our evening meal there but the breakfast next morning was very good loads of choice. The staff were very friendly Receptionist advised us were to go and what to see.

Room Tip: Asked for quiet room when we booked. Had a room at the back. Rooms at front have good view of the c...
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the team and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Claire Flint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Thai first
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I had great expectations of this hotel and am sad to say I'm very upset. The room I had was terrible (bed cover was stained and the ceiling and cornice above the window was terrible) and the bathroom is an absolute disgrace (flaky paint, dirty and no effort at all to make it welcoming). It is a building with a history, I appreciate that, but is very very tired and in need of a huge overhaul in its interior (especially it's rooms and corridors). Due to the heat we had to ask for a fan which was delivered really quickly which was great, but it was again dirty and sounds like an industrial refrigerator. I could go on but I won't. I travel quite a bit and am always keen to promote the good in the hotels I visit, but truthfully on this occasion I can't which saddens me.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. Had these things been mentioned during your time in the hotel they would have been dealt with immediately for you and we would have happily changed your room.
I have instructed maintenance to rectify any points that you have raised and this will be done immediately.
With the extreme heat at the moment fans are in short supply we have managed to find a supplier that can get some and we have new ones on order the one supplied to you was old and will be going into the bin when the news one arrives, but at the time that was the only option.

Thank you again you points will be actioned and rectified.

Yours sincerely

Claire Flint

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Cracking hotel in a cracking location right next to the train station
Room was lovely
Food was alright
The service in the hotel is top notch and very friendly
I don't think there is anything bad you could say about this place
Except there wine was warm

Stayed July 2014
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your comments onto the team. I noted the one about the wine which I must apologise for and this will be dealt with immediately.

Bournemouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

As has been said by others, this hotel is very handy for the station so no complaints there. We arrived as part of a group of 40 and were given room 224. Whilst the actual room room was acceptable the outlook was another matter. Firstly the window had wire mesh over it (perhaps to keep pigeons out) and the view was of a dirty, scruffy small inner courtyard, probably facing buildings that do not form part of the hotel. This was towards the end of June and the room was airless. Added to that the periodic fan noise that started up during the night was the icing on the cake. To be fair, we did call down to Reception re the heat in the room/noise outside and they promptly sent a fan but with the window closed and the fan going sleep was not easy so we switched it off as it was just pushing around warm air.

So, it was window closed and sleep in a 'sauna' or have the window open in the hope there might be a bit of breeze and the chance to nod off when the extractor fan was not working. Probably had very little sleep at all. Could not face eating in the function room with it's black curtains excluding all light which was allocated to our group so had dinner and breakfast elsewhere.

Pics are attached of the outlook. Don't accept 224.

Room Tip: Decline Rm 224 if it is allocated to you.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and your points which we take on board and will look into and rectify where we can.
Being a City Centre Hotel views can be restrictive The room allocated did look onto a neighbouring building as do a lot of our rooms, we are very limited as I said for rooms with any views.
I am sorry that you felt you could not dine in the room allocated, this is the room used for large groups of which we have never received complaints before. I am sure had you dined you would have enjoyed the experience and the food as the rest of your group did.
Thank you again for your review and points and apologies that you did not enjoyed your stay with us.

Yours sincerely

Grangemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I had a brilliant break at this hotel. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. (Room 116). With good views of the square even with the window wide open at night it wasn't too noisy. My friend is a wheelchair user, the hotel is old, and has 2 quite steep ramps however a member of staff always assisted us in and out of the hotel with a smile on their face. Breakfast was excellent, one of the best ever, only small gripe is no knives for you toast etc and a shortage of serving spoons for fruit etc, but crusty bread and croissants are outstanding. Carlisle is a lovely city with a very restful,atmosphere, I will be back soon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review and I am glad that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us, and especially that the staff looked after you as they did. I will pass your comments onto those involved and the rest of the team and we hope to see you both again soon.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just steps away from the Carlisle railway station, nothing could be more convenient than the Hallmark Carlisle. It's been nicely made over, but all the fresh paint, carpet and decor can't hide the fact this is a quite old hotel. No matter, it is perfectly comfortable, beds are terrific, and whilst a bit loud with the windows open, things mostly quiet down after 11. Super friendly and helpful staff, breakfast buffet nothing special but okay to start your day. Large baths are nice. Rickety old elevator. Doors slamming on your floor occasionally startle you awake. Wi-Fi in the reception and bar, but not in the rooms - at least not on the upper floors. But clean, comfortable, reasonably priced and convenient. Perfect for an overnight.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are a bit more quiet. Your choice whether you want street noise or train station no...
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your nice review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your comments onto the team and we hope to see you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is very handy for the train station, cathedral, shops etc. my daughter and grand daughters room was large and spacious. My double room 301 was in comparison small and quite pokey. There was not extra lighting in the room save the central ceiling light, making applying make-up quite difficult as the room was dark to start with. During my nights sleep I was bitten on my neck, shoulder, upper arm and back I don't know what by - but the manager next morning was quick to point put it wasn't 'bed bugs I had twenty four bites in all, this resulted in my visiting my local well being centre the following day and being given double strength antibiotics. The manager inspected my room four hours after I vacated it and 'reassured' me that there was no blood on the sheets! Surely house-keeping had cleaned my room by then, I over heard him say to I presume a care taker 'to Hoover that bed'. I didn't feel that my complaint had been dealt with to my satisfaction. Sophie on reception was very polite and nothing was too much trouble.
I would not feel happy staying in this hotel again, I realise that bugs can be everywhere, but I feel I got short shrift from the manager and would not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review although we do find some of the comments unjust and unfair. The complaint was dealt with by the Duty Managers in a swift and competent manner and I have since conversed with you directly on e mail.

Regards