Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
US$112
Travelocity
US$204
US$65
Cumbria Park Hotel(Carlisle)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$132
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,259 results
All reviewsrailway stationtravelling by trainchristmas partynight portercity centrebit datedevening mealtwin roomstayed for one nightfollowing morningclairecastlerearscotland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was our second hotel on our Great Railway Holiday. It was next door to the station and very convenient for the town. We were allocated a room on the third floor. On first appearance all look well but there were old crisps on the floor in the corner by the desk!!! There were posh cups and saucers, but it would be better if more attention was paid to the cleaning. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet even though we were overlooking the front of the hotel and the station. The bathroom needed some TLC but the bath was clean and there was a good supply of hot water. I could hear the TV from the room next door. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant because the group was allocated a room for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was tasteless and not very good. Breakfast was served in the same room and was buffet style - not good! There was free wifi in the hotel but unfortunately this didn't reach our room. It was very fast in the reception and bar.
Would I stay again or recommend? Don't think so....

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Speges
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to the room I have spoken with the Head Housekeeper who in turn will speak with the person responsible as this is not acceptable, this will be done on a formal basis and remedial actions will be taken.
Regarding the food, we cater for large parties throughout the year and we do use an alternative room to the restaurant as the restaurant is not suitable for large parties. The menu is reduced in choice as you can appreciate with a large group it is impractical to order from a large choice menu however the quality and standard of the food is the same is on our restaurant. We received many positive comments from your group on that night regarding the food I am sorry that you did not enjoy it as much as other did. Breakfast again is buffets style the same as in the main restaurant.
I will pass your comments onto the team as I mentioned before the Housekeeper certainly will deal with the cleanliness issues as this is unacceptable.
Thank you again for your review and I do hope that in the future you would be willing to return and give us a second chance and see what our regular customers have come to love and return again and again for.

Your sincerely

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just got back from an over night stay at the Hallmark Hotel. We picked this hotel mainly because of the closeness to the railway station, it was literally 20 steps away. After a lovely welcome from Samantha at the reception desk, we went up to our room on the second floor, the room was a good size, nice decor, and very comfortable, the only negative for me was the fact we were unable to open the windows, the room was a bit too warm for my liking. The breakfast was plentiful, cereals, fresh fruit, croissants, different fruit juices and everything you could ask for on a full English breakfast, though this could have been a bit hotter. Overall our stay was very enjoyable and we would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and your nice comments especially about Sammy, I will pass these are to her she will be thrilled as I am as Sammy is a new member of our team.
Apologies about the window and breakfast I will have these issues looked into immediately as they are not acceptable.
I am glad that you will return and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed hear a few times and find it central and staff and hotel is perfect for my needs, would recommend it to any one for a short break, only down fall is that you have to leave the hotel to fine leisure facilities

Room Tip: dont be afraid to ask for what you need
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for your review I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and nice to hear that you do stay on a regular basis. I too wish we had space for Leisure but unfortunately the hotel has no extra grounds for this to happen.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Apart from the staff being courteous and helpful and breakfast being okay I cannot say anything else good about this hotel.

On first impression, the rooms were okay and pretty standard albeit a bit pokey, the bathroom needed updating and good use of mould remover wouldn't be amiss. The hotel is situated right next door to the train station so it is very noisy when the window is open. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning and no fan provided so without the window open the heat in the room is unbearable (we booked to stay at the end of July), not a problem in our children's room though because the window in the bathroom would not close. The walls are so thin, not only could we hear the girl in the room next door speaking on her phone, but we could also hear the person she was talking to (at 1am).

However the worst thing about this hotel was the quality of the mattress. Every spring could be felt, it sagged without anyone sitting on it and my husband ended up sleeping on the floor just to try and get some sleep before our long drive the following day. This is a four star hotel, the least we expected was a decent bed.

On check out the receptionist didn't bother to ask us if we'd had a nice stay - I guess from the suitcases under our eyes as well as on the floor she knew it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicola B
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your review my sincere apolgies and I will respond to you directly.

Yours sincerly

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed for two nights a Friday and Saturday. We had room 104 which was looking onto a pub garden. Music played loudly for the two nights and even though there is secondary double glazing the noise could still be heard and interrupted my sleep. The hotel room was clean and tidy but the ensuite shower had not been part of their refurb and had black in the grouting and around the shower tray. We would stay again though but would ask for a quieter room. The breakfast was great and the staff were friendly and helped us when asked.

Room Tip: Avoid room 104 and adjacent rooms on that corridor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your review I will respond directly to you via e mail.

Kind regards