“A broken, dying hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
“A broken, dying hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I'm struggling to understand how this hotel has any excellent reviews. It's not the worst place I've stayed in but it's full of issues.

Positives
- Great location
- good sized rooms in the executive suites

Negatives
- everything about this hotel felt like an establishment that was once great but has recently hit a bad patch and everyone had since given up (the staff). Even basic courtesy like asking how the stay was was missing.

- I stayed in decent sized room but got a mattress which was so worn one side had collapsed and there was a spring that had partial come through. Still not sure how room service could miss this

- the bathroom had a leaky shower which dripped throughout the night. The worst part about the bathroom, apart from the mould in the shower was the fact the shower head was mounted at about 5'9. Bad news if you're tall.

- A minor but the complimentary WiFi didn't work. I noticed that the WiFi network was a budget router tapped to the wall on each floor (not a joke!) I'd expect more from a hotel of this price

- breakfast wasn't too bad. I ordered a latte and it was good, but the experience was ruined by stale, hard Danish pastries, sausages with less meat than a supermodel and two dirty plates being all that was left. I told the waitress who took twenty minutes to bring clean ones, then simply piled them on the dirty plates.

Overall, a pretty poor experience from a brand I used to trust.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Juk123
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your response and feedback which we do take on board. My sincere apologies that you have not enjoyed your stay with us, and the matters that you have raised will be fully investigated and steps taken to ensure that there can be no repeat in the future.
Once again my apologies and I sincerly hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future for a second chance to show you what our regular guests have come to love and return for week after week.

Yours sincerly

Claire Flint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Thai first
north ayrshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Had a 2 day break in Carlisle in the Hallmark Hotel . Great hotel , fantastic staff , right next to railway station and slap bang in the middle of town. We went B & B , but never ate lunch or dinner and only had 1 drink in hotel ( bit expensive , i mean £9.60 for 2 gins and lemon ) . Hotel double room , nice and big , all the usual stuff , tea and coffee facilities , hairdryer in dressing table drawer , nice big bathroom with all toiletries and nice fluffy towels . We got the 2 nights for just £143 with Booking.com . Lovely comfy bed with more pillows in wardrobe if required a really lovely hotel and breakfast was buffet style , again , with all the usuals . There are plenty of pubs and eateries all over the town so you really can take your pick , but if you do fancy one , please book a table , we didn't and were just lucky to get into our chosen one . Going back to hotel again , i think the only downside was that the windows were old sash style and only opened about 6 inches , but since it wasn't exactly boiling it didn't really matter . All in all a great 2 days in a lovely town with plenty to see , do and plenty of shops . Would go back again and would definitely go back to the Hallmark . We were there from 16-18 August

Room Tip: We had 204 , but were looking into an alleyway , not bothered but others may be .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank klaza-w
Thank you for your lovely review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the team and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind regards

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

we were visiting Carlisle for the football and decided to stay overnight as it was over a 5 hour journey home. Bearing in mind there was no double glazing and no air conditioning it was necessary to have the windows open. But this let in the noise from outside which did not stop until 5.00 in the morning so having had no sleep we then had to drive home and were worse off by over £100 for the privilege of staying - we did have breakfast which was ok apart from the dirty plate on the stack

The room and bathroom needed major refurbishment and the work that had been done in the past was extremely shoddy including a mirror in the bathroom which was not even straight. Also the light in the bathroom failed to work as did the WIFI.

All in all a very bad experience and how this hotel has got 4 * i will never know it is possibility a 2* if I'm being generous

I feel as though i've stayed in another hotel to some of your other guests who have praised it but the majority seem to have issues

Room Tip: dont use this hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Peterjm43
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you have been disturbed by outside noise this is something beyond the hotels control, and being in the City Centre some this can happen. The rooms are fitted with secondary glazing as double glazing is not permitted due to the hotel being a listed building. We don’t have air conditioning as again this is are not straight forward for us but we do not advertise that we have it on any 3rd party booking sites or our website.
The bathrooms have been partly refurbished and we are currently looking into further refurbishment but I will have maintenance look at the mirror that you mention. With regards to the light, these can blow at any time as it could do at home.
Regarding our 4 star rating, we have just been re – evaluated with the AA and awarded 4 stars again, the criteria is very strict and they are more than satisfied with the hotel and the services we offer.
Thank you again for your comments have been taken on board as every comment is, and steps taken to ensure that there can be no repeat in the future.

Yours sincerely

Claire Flint

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed one night in April 2013, allocated room 106.

This was a late booking to attend a Youth Cup Final so just had bed and breakfast which cost £77.50!!!!!!!!

It was OK, a bit oldie worldly but had a good night sleep and was handy for an early morning train departure. The room was fine and there was a hearty breakfast.

I would probably not stay again unless I got a far better rate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GasFromSomerset
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your review and comments I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall. Regarding rates they do change daily and like any hotel the earlier you can book the better rate available.
Thank you again and we do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Got a visit with stay over for my birthday. Location was perfect. Easy walk into town, room was clean and spacious. Breakfast was good. Staff very friendly. View from room window was excellent. Defiantly use this hotel if in area again

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your nice review and belated Happy Birthday. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we would love to see you again in the future.

Very best wishes

Bromley, Kent UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This was our second hotel on our Great Railway Holiday. It was next door to the station and very convenient for the town. We were allocated a room on the third floor. On first appearance all look well but there were old crisps on the floor in the corner by the desk!!! There were posh cups and saucers, but it would be better if more attention was paid to the cleaning. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet even though we were overlooking the front of the hotel and the station. The bathroom needed some TLC but the bath was clean and there was a good supply of hot water. I could hear the TV from the room next door. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant because the group was allocated a room for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was tasteless and not very good. Breakfast was served in the same room and was buffet style - not good! There was free wifi in the hotel but unfortunately this didn't reach our room. It was very fast in the reception and bar.
Would I stay again or recommend? Don't think so....

2 Thank Speges
Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to the room I have spoken with the Head Housekeeper who in turn will speak with the person responsible as this is not acceptable, this will be done on a formal basis and remedial actions will be taken.
Regarding the food, we cater for large parties throughout the year and we do use an alternative room to the restaurant as the restaurant is not suitable for large parties. The menu is reduced in choice as you can appreciate with a large group it is impractical to order from a large choice menu however the quality and standard of the food is the same is on our restaurant. We received many positive comments from your group on that night regarding the food I am sorry that you did not enjoy it as much as other did. Breakfast again is buffets style the same as in the main restaurant.
I will pass your comments onto the team as I mentioned before the Housekeeper certainly will deal with the cleanliness issues as this is unacceptable.
Thank you again for your review and I do hope that in the future you would be willing to return and give us a second chance and see what our regular customers have come to love and return again and again for.

Your sincerely

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from an over night stay at the Hallmark Hotel. We picked this hotel mainly because of the closeness to the railway station, it was literally 20 steps away. After a lovely welcome from Samantha at the reception desk, we went up to our room on the second floor, the room was a good size, nice decor, and very comfortable, the only negative for me was the fact we were unable to open the windows, the room was a bit too warm for my liking. The breakfast was plentiful, cereals, fresh fruit, croissants, different fruit juices and everything you could ask for on a full English breakfast, though this could have been a bit hotter. Overall our stay was very enjoyable and we would definitely return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your nice comments especially about Sammy, I will pass these are to her she will be thrilled as I am as Sammy is a new member of our team.
Apologies about the window and breakfast I will have these issues looked into immediately as they are not acceptable.
I am glad that you will return and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best wishes