“60th Birthday Party”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I held my 60th birthday party at the hotel on Friday 31st May. As most of my family live away there were 14 rooms booked at the hotel for my party guests. Some of them said the rooms were a little cramped but everyone said the rooms were clean and comfortable. People who chose to pay a little extra for executive rooms said they were spacious and clean. Everyone said the staff were friendly and helpful. Personally I found all the staff made me feel special and they could not do enough for me, they contributed greatly to the success of the evening. The food at the hotel is very good and the food given to my guests at the party was excellent. This is a city centre hotel which is still undergoing refurbishment in some parts. It is a very old, beautiful building with lots of character and should not be compared to the more modern hotels in the city. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your birthday party and the staff were helpful with making your stay with us enjoyable and a one not to forget. Our superior rooms are large and spacious and we are glad the family you had with you also enjoyed the stay. We are pleased to hear you would come back and stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My journey to the hotel was stressful due to flat tyre and failure of breakdown team to arrive for 2hrs. Met by Nathan, duty manager at hotel, really brilliant guy. Immediately made me feel that I wouldn't have to worry about getting car fixed, he even arranged for my luggage to be taken to my room. Whilst I had a drink in the lovely lounge bar. Shelley receptionist on Sunday morning so very smiley and helpful. OK the décor in the public areas is a bit dated, room was clean and tidy. Met Nathan again this morning and he remembered me and made sure I got safely on my way home. The staff are really a credit to the hotel and the service of the two I have mentioned were the icing on the cake of a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we will pass on your lovely words to Nathan and Shelley. I agree Nathan Is really great guy and an absolute credit to our management team and we are happy he was there to help. It’s also nice to hear everything with your room was clean tidy just the way it should be, and we hope you stay with us again.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Not a brilliant experience. Room was cramped and jaded. Restaurant experience was dire with a waiter who really tried his best but was stymied by poor service from the bar, kitchen and other staff. Whilst we had several complaints about the service and food, we heard many complaints from other guests who were leaving the restaurant complaining that they hadn't received the wine they'd paid for, and that food was not up to scratch. As far as accommodation is concerned, I would probably stay there again for convenience, but would certainly eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lizzie P

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you found the restaurant service poor and we do not expect our guests to feel this way at all, I am also sorry to hear that you found your room to be cramped and I hope if this was mentioned to reception that we tried to rectify the situation, we do hope you to stay with us again very soon and we look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed here as part of our Coast 2 Coast cycle route. The room was fine and although a little tired it was clean and comfortable but basic. Breakfast was adequate but got busy and you had to queue for the cereal and juice table. I would stay here again but not as a romantic getaway, more of a convenient stop over. The hotel were helpful though and allowed us to park our bikes in the boiler house over night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as you hoped too, and I hope to see you again very soon and maybe change your mind a little so you can enjoy everything we have to offer, maybe next time relax in the jacuzzi and swimming pool.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

hotel rooms were basic but ok for couple of nights in annexe. If functions in main hotel then was noisy and you had to walk through the smokers surrounding the exit door to the annexe. Quite noisy from the disco and people talking outside when smoking.
breakfasts were excellent.
group meal in evening in green market room was not very good, they forgot to ask if we wanted any drinks so lost out on us spending more money with them.

Room Tip: ask if they are near the function room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you did not enjoy where you were staying, did you mention this to reception to see if we could accommodate you to a quieter room in the main building? I apologise that you did not get offered any drinks during your meal service but happy to hear that your breakfast morning were good.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

A fine city centre location on Carlisle's pedestrianised square. Stayed as part of a group and rooms were fine, comfortable and clean. However this hotel is badly let down by its catering ability, or in my view lack of it. The breakfast x2 were adequate without being memorable. The one evening meal was a group meal and was utterly disgusting, both in standards of service (amateurish and indifferent) and the quality of the food was frankly cheap and nasty - seen better school dinners. One of the group even found part of plastic ice cream cartoon in ice cream. An apology was received for this but it seemed to sum up the indifference of the whole event. A great pity as this hotel should be Carlisle's gem but needs to up the game on its catering if it is to achieve this.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking your time to write a review, I sincerely apologise for the incidents that occurred during your evening meals that you had with us and the service you received I do hope that you would try us again so we can rectify the problem and make sure that this did not happen again. On a lighter note I am pleased to hear everyone found their rooms comfortable and clean which is to be expected and you found everything else with your stay with us enjoyable, we look forward to welcoming the group back again with us.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Just stopped for lunch on this visit ,Good food with a nice selection of dishes either in the main rest. of in the Bar. The hotel is also a good place to stay in the hart of Carlisle with in walking distance of the shops and other attractions in the city

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review, its nice to hear about other people coming in to visit the hotel even if they are not staying with us, and I am happy that you enjoyed the food we have to offer and hope you come back soon and maybe even stay over,