“A brief overnight stay - but perfectly sufficient.....”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“A brief overnight stay - but perfectly sufficient.....”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I spent one night here returning from Scotland on bussiness - asked our "admin" people for something in the Carlisle area and this is what they came up with.......

The hotel is right in the middle of the City. If arriving late in the evening one must drive down a street which does'nt appear to go anywhere (Think its marked as a dead end or no entry or something) and arrive at a large gate and an intercom. There is ample secure parking.

Reception is friendly and efficient.

As has been pointed out by other reviewers the hotel is old. Now I like a building with history - a sense of the past and a lived in quality. If you are looking for "Designer" "Quirky" or "boutique" (Im not sure what that actually means - but this isn't it ! ) then maybee this isnt for you. Historic (in a complimentary way) solid and traditional then this is for you. However the rooms are comfortable and have a warm feel to them. The free wifi works very well.

Used the free swimming pool in the morning - it's certainly not a big pool but its free and sufficient for a quick dip.

Breakfast was ok - just had cerials but the cooked fayre looked ok. Serving staff were friendly and helpfull.

I liked the place - a "traditional" red brick town centre hotel with charisma and charm. Ok - the lifts a bit rattly and the floorboards a tad creaky but its comfortable, convenient and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 June 2013

For people who are into things vintage, this is a must visit place. For those of us who enjoy the comforts of modern architecture and building design, definitely not the place to stay at. Room are very small, seem stuffed with not much space to move about, lighting is pretty bad, the windows kept banging all night from the wind, no hot water the shower, the staff didn't seem to welcoming either, not impressed at all. On a positive note, food pretty good, there's an indoor swimming pool, but you have ask for the keys at reception and it closes at 11 PM, hotel is very conveniently located, right in the town center, five minute walk to the train station, shopping mall and local shops, restaurants and Carlisle Castle.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review our page, I apologise that you did not find us welcoming and that your room was not up to the standards you hoped for, I do hope if you mentioned this to reception that this was rectified. I am happy to hear that you found the food nice, you need to ask for keys at reception but this is for safety reasons so people can not just walk of the street and go in the pool without us knowing, it closes at eleven also because that’s when our reception staff finish and we have a night porter that isn’t at the desk all night however he is reachable. We do hope that you come back to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I held my 60th birthday party at the hotel on Friday 31st May. As most of my family live away there were 14 rooms booked at the hotel for my party guests. Some of them said the rooms were a little cramped but everyone said the rooms were clean and comfortable. People who chose to pay a little extra for executive rooms said they were spacious and clean. Everyone said the staff were friendly and helpful. Personally I found all the staff made me feel special and they could not do enough for me, they contributed greatly to the success of the evening. The food at the hotel is very good and the food given to my guests at the party was excellent. This is a city centre hotel which is still undergoing refurbishment in some parts. It is a very old, beautiful building with lots of character and should not be compared to the more modern hotels in the city. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your birthday party and the staff were helpful with making your stay with us enjoyable and a one not to forget. Our superior rooms are large and spacious and we are glad the family you had with you also enjoyed the stay. We are pleased to hear you would come back and stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My journey to the hotel was stressful due to flat tyre and failure of breakdown team to arrive for 2hrs. Met by Nathan, duty manager at hotel, really brilliant guy. Immediately made me feel that I wouldn't have to worry about getting car fixed, he even arranged for my luggage to be taken to my room. Whilst I had a drink in the lovely lounge bar. Shelley receptionist on Sunday morning so very smiley and helpful. OK the décor in the public areas is a bit dated, room was clean and tidy. Met Nathan again this morning and he remembered me and made sure I got safely on my way home. The staff are really a credit to the hotel and the service of the two I have mentioned were the icing on the cake of a lovely weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we will pass on your lovely words to Nathan and Shelley. I agree Nathan Is really great guy and an absolute credit to our management team and we are happy he was there to help. It’s also nice to hear everything with your room was clean tidy just the way it should be, and we hope you stay with us again.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Not a brilliant experience. Room was cramped and jaded. Restaurant experience was dire with a waiter who really tried his best but was stymied by poor service from the bar, kitchen and other staff. Whilst we had several complaints about the service and food, we heard many complaints from other guests who were leaving the restaurant complaining that they hadn't received the wine they'd paid for, and that food was not up to scratch. As far as accommodation is concerned, I would probably stay there again for convenience, but would certainly eat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lizzie P
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you found the restaurant service poor and we do not expect our guests to feel this way at all, I am also sorry to hear that you found your room to be cramped and I hope if this was mentioned to reception that we tried to rectify the situation, we do hope you to stay with us again very soon and we look forward to seeing you.
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed here as part of our Coast 2 Coast cycle route. The room was fine and although a little tired it was clean and comfortable but basic. Breakfast was adequate but got busy and you had to queue for the cereal and juice table. I would stay here again but not as a romantic getaway, more of a convenient stop over. The hotel were helpful though and allowed us to park our bikes in the boiler house over night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as you hoped too, and I hope to see you again very soon and maybe change your mind a little so you can enjoy everything we have to offer, maybe next time relax in the jacuzzi and swimming pool.
leicestershire
Reviewed 27 May 2013

hotel rooms were basic but ok for couple of nights in annexe. If functions in main hotel then was noisy and you had to walk through the smokers surrounding the exit door to the annexe. Quite noisy from the disco and people talking outside when smoking.
breakfasts were excellent.
group meal in evening in green market room was not very good, they forgot to ask if we wanted any drinks so lost out on us spending more money with them.

Room Tip: ask if they are near the function room.