“3rd Anniversary Stay”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Prenton, United Kingdom
“3rd Anniversary Stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

just back from another wonderful weekend at The Crown and Mitre for our 3rd wedding anniversary, we were so well looked after by the wonderful staff who also left us an anniversary card in our usual bridal suite room 13, we had our evening meal at the hotels peace and plenty restaurant which was delicious i had chicken with spring onion mash hubby had the mixed grill and his first taste of haggis ( of course i had to try a bit too ) was surprised how nice it was, i also ate his portion of onion rings haha delicious!!, we has full cooked English buffet breakfast which we always enjoy, so much to choose from.
we also took advantage of the swimming pool and Jacuzzi. Anyone thinking of booking think no more just do it you wont be disappointed, we have already made our reservation for next year and will continue to do so for many years to come, wouldn't dream of celebrating aour wedding anniversary anywhere else

Room Tip: room 131 , the room is massive comfortable bed and great view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Dianejudge12, thank you for your review, happy to hear you enjoyed another year with us as always. You were sadly missed last year and we were happy to see you this year. I will pass on your kind comments about the food to the chefs and glad you enjoyed all of the food even nicer when you share! We look forward to welcoming you back with us again next year take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed with my family for a night to begin our summer holidays. Reading through previous posts i didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised by everything. Don't let the olde world style of the building put you off , when you understand the age of the hotel it becomes a pleasure. Yes the carpet has bare patches and the stairs creak and the small lift takes you back in time but this is character sadly missing in the new premier inns or the like. The main entrance is right on the main shopping area and also close to the catherderal and castle so great for shopping trips and sightseeing. All the staff were very helpful and well mannered which is very uncommon these days and all the more remarkable as a lot of the staff are young. Many thanks to Kayleith who ran the restaurant in which the food was fantastic and to the guy who did all manner of jobs from opening the carpark gate to fixing the sky television.
Whilst there we thought we would avail of the pool and Jacuzzi and loved it and as a bonus we had it all to ourselves. The pool wasn't that deep but more than enough to swim.
The breakfast had all you would expect and even kippers if you wanted. We had a selection of food from the restaurant all of which were of a very high standard, the Baileys creme brulee was to die for!! If the management read this please put a restaurant menu in every room so more can avail of the fantastic food as it was just chance we looked in while checking the pool. All in all the best stay and food of our holiday.

I have to say well done to Peel Hotels in what is a hidden treasure right on my doorstop.
We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Themeparkguru16, thank you for your lovely kind words, I am happy to hear that previous reviews did not stop you from enjoying what the hotel has to offer. We have always been complemented on how friendly our staff is and I’m glad this is still the same now. I will also pass your kind words about Kayleigh it’s always nice to hear how well individual staff are working and also to the gentleman which will have been our duty manager that evening. All in all happy to hear from your arrival, to the food which compliments will be passed on to the chefs, to the end of your stay you enjoyed and I look forward to welcoming you back with us shortly.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed at the Crown & Mitre for one night as my daughter graduated from Uni of Cumbria and the ceremony was held at Carlisle cathedral on 18/7/13. The university uses the facilities at the hotel to host a celebration reception after the ceremony. It is also where the official photographs take place. The location is perfect as it is just round the corner from the cathedral and also the Tithe Barn (where gowns are collected). As you can imagine, the hotel was extremely busy and there was a great buzz about the place. The staff were very professional. We ate dinner in the hotel on 17/7/13 and also had breakfast and lunch the following day. The meals were excellent, although it would be helpful if breakfast could be served earlier than 7.30am as it was a rush to fit breakfast in with collecting gowns on graduation day.
We had 3 rooms in the annexe 105 (twin), 109 (double) and 118 (single) and they were perfectly adequate. I would definitely return back to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Kathryn567, thank you very much for your review, we are glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I am also glad to hear the staff were very helpful and I will pass on your kind words to the kitchen staff about your food. We do look forward to seeing you return to the hotel and enjoying another stay with us.
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

In mid June we once again stayed in the Crown & Mitre. It has now become a bit of a tradition that we have a couple of nights here before we drop down to the Lake District. This year we arrived in the middle of a rather large overnight conference. All staff were very busy and professional, but as usual we were once well looked after. Our room at the front of the hotel was spacious and very comfortable with a very clean bathroom. Being a bit unsteady after a recent operation, I requested an inside the bath mat. This was delivered to our room within a matter of minutes. We only stay on a B&B basis, and we well rate the breakfast choice. All in all the hotel is in a good city centre location and much better than several other Carlisle city centre hotels we have stayed in. All being well, we look forward to next year's stay.

Room Tip: Ist floor are on the breakfast room level.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mary E, thank you for taking your time to review, it is always nice to know that our regular guests look forward to coming back to us year after year. Also wonderful to hear that the staff were helpful with everything you required. We look forward to welcoming you back with us again next year and hope your feeling much better after your recent operation.
London
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed for one night at a conference. Overall it is the classic ageing central hotel with some character but faded in a lot of areas. Had a single room booked (it was the last one they had, hate hotel rooms with single beds but had no choice) but was upgraded to a double room which had recently been refurbished. The receptionist was friendly and helpful and she sorted me out with the connection to the free wifi (which worked well in all parts of the hotel). The room was a decent size, clean with all the basic amenities. Bed was comfortable and sleep only disturbed by an alarm going off in another (presumably unoccupied room). I had quite an early breakfast so there was plenty of food laid out and it was decent. Did seem to have a limited number of small tables (for 1 or 2) so wondered how they coped with seating once it got busier. DId not eat in the restuarant in the evening, it did not look that appealing. Overall it did the job, it was not spectacular or that memorable but nothing fundementally wrong and have had a lot worse experiences in other similar hotels.

Room Tip: Go for one the new reburbished ones on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Randello, thank you for taking your time to comment on our page. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your free upgrade and the reception staff helped you as much as they could upon check in. it is wonderful news to hear throughout your stay everything was in good working order and you enjoyed your time with us. As for breakfast if we have larger groups in the hotel we do have two room for breakfasts and from the set up you have described I believe you were in the room for privates so this will explain the amount of seating available. We do hope you come and stay with us again sometime in the near future.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I had rung ahead - (was it a bad move?) to request a quiet room and was issued with a fourth floor room No. 443. Rooms on the fourth floor are not served by the lift. To access these dreadful quarters customers have to take the creaky lift to the third floor and negotiate a long corridor walk, followed by a steep staircase climb, into the garret. The corridor to the room was airless and hot and I opened windows as I went to dispel the heat and entered the tiny hot room which had a tiny sashed window. The window was secured to open only a couple of inches - presumably to prevent despondent residents from throwing themselves to their deaths.
After negotiating the access to the room after an arduous journey from the south, I immediately went into the small, integral, oven like bathroom for a shower. I turned on the taps - there was cold water but the hot water tap failed to produce any water at all. I returned to reception to advise them of the problem and was promised that the handyman could come to investigate the problem. I went back to the room and waited for some time but no one came. I went back down eventually to see find were he/she had got to and was then asked if I would like to move rooms. I BELIEVE the problem with the room was already known. A very pleasant lady apologised for my inconvenience and accompanied me to my room and helped me move next door to room 442. Another stiflingly hot room with a tiny window secured to prevent suicide! I asked if there were any fans and was told, “No, it’s not usually hot up here!” I checked the hot water supply and it was evident and unpacked again. The conference began and after a busy afternoon and evening I retired to the sauna of my room. I ran the bath - ironically the cold water was warm enough to bathe in and was a relief from the oppressive heat. As I lay down ready for a peaceful nights’ sleep I realised that I was surrounded by a booming and constant water feature. The night was long and restless, as in my heat induced delirium I feared a dam overhead would burst and I would be engulfed in a tidal wave and would wash me into the streets of Carlisle.
Dawn eventually came and I prepared for the busy day ahead. I visited reception to inform them of the problems I had faced, reminding them of my early request for a quiet room, and asking if the pump adjacent to my room could cease during the night. The receptionist seemed amused by my predicament but said that she would ask the duty manager. After breakfast I went back to reception to enquire and was told that, unfortunately, the pump was responsible for providing water to the whole hotel (obviously, with the exception of Room 443) and could not be turned off. I asked to be moved. At lunch I returned to see what had been decided and was told that it was difficult because the hotel was full but was offered the next room - 441. I let it be known that was dispirited by the prospect of the same hellish corridor – wonder why these rooms were still available as the hotel was “full”. However, once again I was helped to move. Room 441 was still grimly hot but did, however, have the benefit of a decent sized bathroom with another secured sash window which it had been ventilated in advance of my arrival.
The food at the hotel was average, fresh fruit had to be requested at breakfast and there was a distinct lack of anything green on the menus which were served. The Annual Dinner Menu was a hearty starter of Cumberland sausage and mash with tomato sauce, a hefty, dry, over-cooked stuffed chicken breast with bacon and more tomato sauce followed by bread and butter pudding and custard. A request for a fresh fruit alternative was declined. This event was held on the longest day of summer – I wonder what choices would appear for a Winter Conference menu?
I could have forgiven the food but the accommodation that I was provided with at this hotel marred what would have been an excellent conference and a fond memory of the city of Carlisle.

Room Tip: Keep away from the fourth floor!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lescase
Dear Lescase,
Thank you for your review, as you are aware I have personally contacted yourself regarding this matter this matter while you were staying with us at the hotel. Thank you fro your comments
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

While the event that i attended the hotel for went without problem and served up some lovely food the rest of the stay at the hotel was awful. Woken up by a 'fire drill' at 7am , room was very dusty and unclean and the breakfast in the morning my fried egg contained metal Brillo pad! Also my original booking and payment had been lost and staff were less than helpful to try and sort it out! I was refunded a few pounds for my breakfast but the over all attitude of the staff in the morning was just awful and i was spoken to like i was an inconvenience. That sadly marred our stay and certainly for the money id rather of stayed in a travel lodge or such like. That said the evening do was wonderful i just wish i hadn't stayed in the hotel overnight

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends