“Great food, rooms need a refurb”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Newcastle-Under-Lyme
“Great food, rooms need a refurb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business recently and looking at the website before arrival I was quite looking forward to it.

Obviously the website only shows the best rooms (as they all do!) but my 'executive' room was tiny and the spec just didn't match that of even a modern Premier Inn. The washbasin was in the actual room as there wasn't room for it in the bathroom and there was 1 spare plug socket in the entire room which just isn't enough these days. The decor was old-fashioned and the wi-if signal didn't reach my room rendering it useless.

However the food was great. I had my evening meal in the hotel and the food was tasty, good quality and plentiful. No complaints with breakfast either which was great too (full hot and cold buffet, cereals etc.). Service from the restaurant staff was really good too.

Overall I would say that the rooms need a bit of attention to match the grandeur of the rest of the hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Hols_and_Meals_Out,
Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Please accept my apologies that the room that you were given was not up to the standard that you had expected. I am sure that if you notified reception after you had seen the room they would have tried to move you. The hotel is currently going through a refurbishment on its bedrooms and corridors so some of our rooms have not been completed yet. I am glad that you enjoyed the meals that you had during your stay, I will pass on your comments to the kitchen. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you into the hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Great view of the market square which was busy over the Easter weekend. Room was spacious and comfortable. The hotel itself was old and carpets a little threadbare but didn't take anything away from the grandness of the building. Staff were very helpful and friendly and the food was great. I'll go again in a heartbeat and so should you.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Peter,
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and found your room to be suitable. The view from the front of the hotel is one of the great features of the hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you in the hotel again soon.
U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Having enjoyed my November stay in this hotel, I decided to lunch there when passing through the city recently - the sign outside clearly stated the opening times of the pub, that food was served and that non-residents were welcome. The pub, situated towards the back of the building, was a bit "old-fashioned" in decor (this is not a criticism) and fairly quiet. The staff were welcoming and service was prompt. The price - for a vegetarian main course and glass of water - was just over £9, probably more than I would have spent in one of the cafes in The Lanes, but worth paying for a "different" dish enjoyed in the civilized atmosphere of The Crown and Mitre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pausilypon
Dear Pausilypon,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at the Tavern Bar. I will pass on your comment to the Food and Beverage Department. Thank you again and I will look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.
Bury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Room was not in the main hotel, it was in the Annexe. I have stayed a few times at the hotel in the main body, but would never stay in the annexe again. The outer lift door slams on closing on both floors and can be heard from one of the furthest rooms from it, hence not a lot of uninterupted sleep. The room wasn't clean. There was dirt under the wall ironing board, not dust it was grime.
Mould on the bathroom tiles. Generally not spotless which should be the norm. Outside between the annexe and main body of hotel is the smoking area. The smell in the hallways of the annexe was what can only be described as a stink from the smoke drifting into them. Never again.

Room Tip: Stay in the main body of the hotel not the annexe.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jan b
Dear Jan B,
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. I have notified our maintenance manager about the lift in the Annexe to see if there is any problem with it, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Regarding the room that you stayed in, I can only apologise that the room was not up to the standard that you are used to when staying at the hotel. If you had notified reception they would have tried to move you to a more suitable room. Thank you again for your comments, I hope that you will visit us again soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business Monday 7th April ( previous review made me laugh because if you were on 3rd floor, it was probably me snoring!). My company paid, and glad I didn't, as was shocked when I signed the bill next morning. VERY top heavy on price for a hotel undergoing refurb. HOWEVER, food was good, especially breakfast, evening restaurant gloomy (no windows) - why don't you use the "stately" breakfast room? Cleanliness was fine, everywhere smelt fresh. Bedroom around 1994, but very adequate for what I needed. To those people who feel it necessary to take a photo of a net curtain or underneath a toilet, then GET A LIFE for goodness sake - did it hurt you? I suspect not! Best marks go to the staff here, without exception, they were all excellent, friendly, well presented and courteous as well as professional. And my job is a Hospitality Training Officer (not at this hotel). Great hotel, keep up the good work Mr Crossley, I hope to stay again soon!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Royalscot88
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Royalscot88,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are undergoing a refurbishment of the hotel and we are currently updating our bedrooms which you were aware of but I am glad that you mentioned it did not disturb your stay. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the future.
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Staff friendly however hotel is dated, room tiny, walls paper thin, I am not exaggerating when I say I could hear next door snores all night! Was also kept awake until 4.30 from rowdy guests. Car park was a nightmare to find and a joke! If you wanted to take your car back out it would have meant major manoeuvres as cars were parked back to back. Would not go back as hotel not worth the money

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mandy W,
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the noisy guests that you encountered during your stay. We are a hotel in the city centre and unfortunately the car park is not accessible from the front of the building. We do have directions to the car park and a separate postcode which is CA3 8HB. As the car park is quite small and parking is limited but we do try to fit everyone in to avoid people having to use other car parks. This is why we ask for keys to be left at reception so if any car is blocking the way we can easily move it quickly and efficiently. We would rather be in this situation than having to inform guests that they would have to pay for parking in another car park as we are full whereas ours is complementary to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you can come and visit us again soon.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed in this room. Upgraded to a king room, as supposed to be refurbished. Yes it has a king size bed and new wallpaper, but room very small and dated. Couldn't see out of windows as very dirty, old sash windows with wind howling through. I have stayed old period hotels in the past and these have had secondary double glazing fitted. Bathroom door very inadequate as slatted louvre door. Bathroom very old. Bath has turned a horrible yellow colour with use and age. Shower curtain turned pink at bottom with soap scum. Soap dispenser hanging of wall and soap holder rusty. Used shelf to steady myself when climbing into bath for shower and this came away from the wall. The bed yes it was big but pillows and duvet inadequate and poor quality. Spoke to receptionist and was advised the room is as described. (I didn't realise putting new wallpaper up is classed as refurbished) and certainly not like photos in site. no other rooms available. The walls and floors are very thin. Next door left extractor fan on all night which was very noisy which kept awake most if night. On checking out we were not asked about our stay by the young miserable receptionist, however that may have been because the person in front of me had complained about lot of the same points as above. Poor poor poor. Won't be booking again!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tphippsuk
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Tphippsuk,

Thank you for your review and bringing your comments to my attention. Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems that you faced, the hotel was very busy during your stay which is why we were unable to move you to another King room. The maintenance issues that you have mentioned have now been dealt with. I do agree with you that the duvet is a little small for the king bed and the duvet has now been replaced, but the room that you stayed in has been refurbished for 2 years now and this is the first complaint we have had regarding this room. However, I do think decoration can be down to personal taste and everyone is different. I have also written to you regarding your recent stay at the Crown and Mitre Hotel.