“Very enjoyable stay..”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed last Saturday night and really quite enjoyed it.
We had a nice room overlooking the front of the hotel. The room was nicely decorated with slightly dated furniture, but hey, it was clean tidy and everything worked. Nice big bath and a well stocked bathroom. Free wifi in the room too with a good solid signal.
We ate in the restaurant, the food was excellent with good service. No problems here at all. Breakfast again was good, busy but we were served quickly, asked for poached eggs and decaff tea and it arrived quickly and hot. All good.
Sure the hotel is a little faded in places with the odd bit of worn carpet but its got character, is clean and tidy and we'd go back without hesitation.
Car parking can be tight for room and you may have to leave your car key so they can juggle but many city centre hotels also do this.

1  Thank Neilb62
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Neilb62,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us last Saturday. I am also glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience with every aspect of your stay. Reviews like yours let me know that the hotel is keeping to the high standards that are expected. We are currently going through a renovation of the hotel and updating parts of the hotel where it is needed so hopefully you will see these changes if you stay with us again. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Crown and Mitre again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked this hotel for my wife and her mother, a one night stay after a week end in Keswick for the jazz festival, I booked with Zoe on reservations and explained they would not arrive until late on the Saturday night about mid night, I was told this was not a problem and it turned out not to be a problem as the night porter was on the ball with the booking. My wife could not understand the comments about the car park as she found it straight away and found the size ok for the hotel. They had a good nights sleep and enjoyed a hot breakfast the next day all in all perfect end to the trip

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Germanshep,

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that your wife and her mother enjoyed their stay with us. As we have a 24 hour reception we can be flexible with arrival time which benefits a lot of our guests. Thank you again for you review and I hope that you all visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed recently with my partner and just wished we hadn't. Firstly we struggled to find the car park, the hotel postcode is different to the car park postcode which we were not informed of leading to 30mins driving round Carlisle. At reception we were not informed on departure time, had to ask twice where to park and not told of the location of any facilities. It felt like a conveyor belt with the reception staff disinterested.
We booked a 'luxury' room and what we got had nothing to suggest it was luxury. We were in the annex at the back of the building, which had a strange odour. Upon entering the room it was really small. The sink was in the room itself, the iron didn't work, the bed was just two twins zipped together and certainly not a standard double, the room was so compact that the bathroom door was cut down to fit. The decor seemed really outdated and old fashioned.
We felt that reception wasn't approachable to amend any of these flaws. We definitely won't be bothering return as this is just disappointing and not value for money.
The one upside to the hotel is that once we found the car park, the gentleman organising the cars was very friendly and helpful. We left our car keys with him and he did the rest.

4  Thank bluey338

Dear Bluey338,

Thank you for your review and bringing this to my attention. I am very sorry for the issues that you faced during your stay. I have looked into your booking that you made with booking.com and you were not allocated the type of room that you had booked upon your arrival.

I have now personally emailed your partner with an apology which I hope in some ways helps build you trust back in the hotel and that you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

we have just celebrated our daughters wedding at this hotel. we stayed for two nights, with b&b and we were very impressed. the standard of attention was excellent. the food was fresh and hot and top class. We had the wedding itself, the wedding breakfast in the afternoon and the evening reception in the ballroom, the staff were amazing the bar staff certainly earned their wages and i would like to thank Maggie for all the hard work she put in over the whole weekend. whatever she gets paid it is not enough.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the hotel will give you a nice view looking out at the old town hall.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear st0rs,

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your daughter’s wedding. As a hotel we work very hard to ensure that all of our guests are well looked after and that all of our events run as smoothly as possible, your comments let me know that we are achieving this. Thank you again for your review and I would like to wish the happy couple a very long and prosperous future together.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Came back this year on same offer we had last year. Lovely room,food,service last year. This year. We was meant to have a executive room however i feel it was a very basic double room. Not much room. Water was Luke warm at best. I strugled with geting in and out the bath. Very thin bath i think. Tv control did not work so coundnt watch tv. The hotal was been redecorated. However the hall we was in smelt of paint. And carpet. Up at doors of rooms. Food also i think it has gone down from last year. Staff mainly was friendy. Car park very full. I think the car park its to small for size of hotel. Pool i think was very cold. I will not b returning to the hotel again. We did not complain as my other half was ok with these things. But i was not.

Room Tip: Ensure room is type you asked. For. And try and be in the main building. Be fairly early to find a s...
1  Thank 1,980,873

Dear 1980873,
Thank you for your review and bringing your comments to me attention. I wish you had mentioned these to reception or to a duty manager during your stay as we could have tried to rectify these problems to improve your stay. The room that you stayed in was an Executive Double room, you were possibly upgraded to one of our King rooms when you first stayed here which might have been why you noticed a difference. The TV remote may have needed batteries which the reception could have provided you or they could have given you a new remote if the batteries did not work. Regarding the car park, as we are a city centre hotel we have limited space to use. We do try to fit everyone into the car park and on the very rare occasions that we have no space at all in the car park we do have an overflow car park that we are able to use which is close to the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the problems again, I hope that you will visit us again soon so we can have a chance to prove ourselves to you.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Large group for linedance weekend. Most staff very friendly , especially the staff who served food,with a smile, and a great sense of humour . For "tour food " ,it was fine, ok selection, all served hot , plenty of it ,and served with a smile . Decent breakfast . Pool small but adequate, changing rooms could have been cleaner. Have had nicer reception staff to be honest .Room was clean , comfy beds and pillows . Location superb as right in the centre of town. Hotel a bit tired, especially the threadbare tartan carpet,however I would stay again

Room Tip: Avoid the Annexe with rooms facing the lane . Noisy from people using it very late on,also , avoid a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Crocusgrove,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Line dancing weekends are very popular at the hotel and as a hotel, we enjoy having them. I will pass on your comments regarding the swimming room changing rooms and I will ensure that the standards improve here. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back for another Line Dancing tour in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a lovely lunch in the bar today, pulled pork wrap & special turkey club sandwich were both delicious! Really nice homemade chips! Staff friendly & attentive, food arrived quickly. Such a beautiful building inside. I love the original features of this hotel. I would definitely recommend for a nice meal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SMH-AT337,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent lunch in the Tavern Bar. It is always good to hear positive comments about the hotel and its services as it lets me know that the hotel is maintaining its high standards. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to seeing you in the hotel soon.