“scott and jeanette”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 5 July 2014

we have stayed in this hotel twice and both times it has been fantastic the staff are very helpful and very friendly. the food is fantastic the pool and jacuzzi are superb .the location of the hotel is fantastic for the shops and pubs and the next time we go to Carlisle we will be going back to the Crown and Mitre Hotel.

Room Tip: chose the luxury rooms they are superb.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott C
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review of the hotel, I really appreciate it and I am glad that you have enjoyed both your stays here. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team. Thank you again and I hope that you will visit us again soon in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Great stay, amazing jacuzzi and pool, though the pool could do with being heated (that's why I've only scored 4/5). Nice tidy, cosy room. Beautiful meal in the restaurant, the steak was cooked perfect. Appie was a great bar man, good banter and really friendly. All in all we would recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jenni B
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Jenni G,

Thank you for your great Trip Advisor review, I am delighted to hear that you both enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team especially Appie who you mentioned above.

Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Crown and Mitre Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is in a fantastic location and walking distance from the railway station and bus stops. It is right in the middle of the city and while the hotel is a little rough around the edges in places it has a lot of character and charm, and I would certainly choose to stay here again rather than go to a more modern or luxurious chain hotel.

The room and hotel in general were clean and the rooms are of a good size. My room had recently been refurbished and was relatively basic and traditional but comfortable. There was a large selection of food available at breakfast and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The only problem that we had was with parking. The hotel car park became full during our stay and the receptionist directed us to a nearby car park that was closed, and so it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with an alternative before you arrive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne-Louise_26
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Anne-Louise_26,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us. As we are a city centre hotel our car park is quite small and spaces are limited. We do try to fit as many cars in to the car park as possible and I am terribly sorry that we could not fit your car in. It is unusual that we have to ask guests to park in another car park and I cannot apologise enough that you were directed to one which was closed. I will investigate this further and make sure that the receptionist staff are aware of what car parks are nearby and what hours they operate. I am sure that next time you stay with us we will not have this problem. Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in room 321 there was no tea & coffee making facilities the free wifi never worked the hallway carpets had curled up all over and made it a trip hazard the window would not close properly so woken up at 4am to the sound of seagulls making a noise would not stay here again for £65 a night it's a rip off :(

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank upayforwhatyouget
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Upayforwhatyouget,

Thank you for your review and for bringing these points to my attention. I have since been to the room that you stayed in to see for myself the issues that you had with the room. The room does have tea and coffee making facilities in the room which are situated in the desk cupboard which is usually left open for when guests on arrival. I can only think that either this was not left open for you or that you accidentally closed the cupboard door without realising what was inside.
Regarding your internet issues, BT are currently working in the Carlisle area at the moment and sometimes it does affect the connection of our Wi-Fi. If you had reported this to a member of staff, I’m sure that this issue would have sorted.
We are currently going through a refurbishment on our corridors throughout the hotel. This is why some of the carpets were curled up as the maintenance team are preparing to move them and new carpet will be laid.
Upon inspecting the window in your room, it seems as though the latch had fallen down which is why you were unable to close your window.
If you had let a member of staff know that you were experiencing problems with your room I am certain that these issues would have been rectified. Thank you again for bringing these points to my attention, I hope that you choose to stay in the Crown and Mitre again in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

First and foremost, the location of this hotel is superb. In the hub of the city yet in a pocket that doesn't get much night traffic, it's the best of both worlds - A short stroll to many great areas of Carlisle with the neighborhood quietness of a country club. Brilliant.

Entering the lobby of this hotel one is immediately greeted by friendly reception staff and given their room keys. This where the challenge commences. The hotel is a little 'all over the place' and signage for rooms can be a little vague (something that I see is being addressed and rectified with current refurbishments) and proved to be a little tricky, particularly later on that night after a beverage or seven at one of the local bars!! After a bit of wandering and lugging suitcases up a narrow flight of stairs - the lift is painfully slow - we found our room, which was very comfortable and provided a good night's sleep; as mentioned earlier the surrounds are very quiet so there were no disturbances from traffic.

Overall staff were friendly, the hotel was clean, breakfast the next morning was nice, all in all it was a very good stay. I only stayed here overnight and when I return to explore more of what Carlisle has to offer, I can confidently say that I'd stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BradFraser
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear BradFraser,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review, I am pleased that you had a great trip with us and I will be definitely sharing your review with the rest of the team.
As you mentioned, the hotel is going through a refurbishment and part of that is getting new signs around the hotel to help guests navigate their rooms easier. I appreciate your understanding and I hope you didn’t have too much trouble finding your room.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that you do come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is as central as you could wish for if you want easy access to shops, pubs and city centre activities. It is situated opposite the Town Hall.
Many celebrities, including Royalty have stayed at this hotel over the years, so it must have something going for it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TruthfulReviewInfo
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Mister D,

Thank you very much for your review, I’m glad you had a nice stay with us. The hotels location is fantastic for our guests as we are so close to many of Carlisle’s attractions and amenities which is why many guests choose to stay at our hotel. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed here for one night, we were on a bus trip. The staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly, I enjoyed being in the swimming pool, and the food at both dinner and breakfast was lovely. Our room had everything you would expect, and was very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Muriel504038,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am glad that you had a great visit. I am also happy to hear that you had a positive experience with the staff and our facilities which we try hard to keep to a high standard. Thank you again and I hope that you will visit us again soon.