“Excellent once again”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Towards the end of June we once again stayed in The Crown & Mitre. This must have been our 10th visit. We were dealt with very quickly and efficiently at reception and were handed the key to our requested room at the front of the hotel on the first floor. As usual the room was very spacious. The bathroom was very clean and had an included bathmat which I had requested last year.. WiFi was working well in the room with the password from reception and the tea & coffee tray was well stocked This year we had opted for bed, breakfast and evening meal. As usual the breakfast was plentiful, and the service was quick and efficient. There was a good choice on the evening meal menu which could be eaten formally in the restaurant or less formally in the bar. all restaurant/bar staff were very competent and friendly.
A major factor for us staying at the Crown & Mitre is the secure hotel car park and it's location in the city centre. Having stayed there for several years, we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Mary E,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review of the hotel, I am glad that you had a lovely stay with us in June and on your previous visits. We take all of our reviews on board and we are always looking for ways of improving the hotel. Reviews like yours let me know that the hotel is keeping up with the high standards that we set, I will make sure to pass your comments on to the rest of the team. Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will be back soon for your 11th visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Very surprised, following reading comments arrived there with loads of apprehension today. Pepped into bedroom ---- yes newly refurbished!!!
Never go by general disillusionment !! Staff so friendly and helpful, breakfast suited us - buffet. The evening meal - what a winner. Never strayed so far away, so centralised. No need to be concerned re car park, locked obviously for security. Had a few days enjoying retail therapy, backwards and forwards to shops and hotel!!
Understandingly for scaffolding - it's a listed building - even Exeter Cathedral cannot get away without it - well that's what it was like last time I visited!!
Will keep my eyes open for offer again, which I saw in national newspaper.

Migmog

Room Tip: Please, please do not believe all that you read on Trip Advisor until you have been there first!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Migmog,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am very glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the hotel. I will make sure that I pass on your comments to the rest of the team who I am sure will be pleased with your review.
I am also happy to hear that the scaffolding did not bother you during your visit. We are trying to keep the noise down to a minimum and with little disruption as possible to our guests. Your review lets me know that we are achieving this.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will come visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Been 3 times. The larger rooms are better. Breakfast is good. Pool tiny but nice.
Only complaints are some rooms very small and having to wait ages at check in.
Been with my 6 year ond nice who loves it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kaz7600,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review of the hotel, feedback is always appreciated and we take it all on board so we can improve the facilities and services of the hotel. Check in is from 2pm onwards and we try to get all of our guests checked in as quickly as possible but I will look into how we can try and speed this process up even more. I am glad that you and your niece have enjoyed your multiple stays at the hotel, I hope to see you on your next visit. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have driven past Carlisle on many occasions but never been. This hotel proved to be the perfect choice. The hotel has character as it is about 100 years old with large rooms used for wedding receptions. The hotel front is smack in the middle of the pedestrianised City Centre. The Cathedral is practically next door and the Castle and museums are 5 to 10 minutes walk away.
The shopping centre is a few minutes walk and the lively area for night life about ten to fifteen minutes away. We had a large quiet, clean executive room with a king size bed and a bed settee .The staff were friendly and the food good. Most rooms were standard sized. Rooms were being refurbished while we were there but there was no disruption for us. Some worn carpets in corridors I expect will be replaced soon. There was plenty of choice for breakfast which was served in a very pleasant dining room. There is a very small pool, ask reception for a key.The car park at the rear was difficult to find. Ask reception for directions. You go down a "no through"lane behind M and S to the car park,watch out as the last few yards is mainly for pedestrians. We stayed the weekend,once parked we could explore on foot. If coming by train you could walk to the hotel if you are travelling light.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Tynetraveller51,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you found the location of the hotel to be ideal for your visit. The hotel is going through a refurbishment and you are correct in that some of the carpets are due to be replaced soon. We do always try to remind our guests that there is a separate postcode to the car park (CA3 8HB) which will take them directly to our car park which is situated on Blackfriars Street at the rear of the hotel. Thank you again for your review and I do hope that you will choose to stay at the hotel again on your next visit to Carlisle.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

we have stayed in this hotel twice and both times it has been fantastic the staff are very helpful and very friendly. the food is fantastic the pool and jacuzzi are superb .the location of the hotel is fantastic for the shops and pubs and the next time we go to Carlisle we will be going back to the Crown and Mitre Hotel.

Room Tip: chose the luxury rooms they are superb.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott C
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review of the hotel, I really appreciate it and I am glad that you have enjoyed both your stays here. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team. Thank you again and I hope that you will visit us again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Great stay, amazing jacuzzi and pool, though the pool could do with being heated (that's why I've only scored 4/5). Nice tidy, cosy room. Beautiful meal in the restaurant, the steak was cooked perfect. Appie was a great bar man, good banter and really friendly. All in all we would recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jenni B
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Jenni G,

Thank you for your great Trip Advisor review, I am delighted to hear that you both enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team especially Appie who you mentioned above.

Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Crown and Mitre Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is in a fantastic location and walking distance from the railway station and bus stops. It is right in the middle of the city and while the hotel is a little rough around the edges in places it has a lot of character and charm, and I would certainly choose to stay here again rather than go to a more modern or luxurious chain hotel.

The room and hotel in general were clean and the rooms are of a good size. My room had recently been refurbished and was relatively basic and traditional but comfortable. There was a large selection of food available at breakfast and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful.

The only problem that we had was with parking. The hotel car park became full during our stay and the receptionist directed us to a nearby car park that was closed, and so it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with an alternative before you arrive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne-Louise_26
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Anne-Louise_26,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel, I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us. As we are a city centre hotel our car park is quite small and spaces are limited. We do try to fit as many cars in to the car park as possible and I am terribly sorry that we could not fit your car in. It is unusual that we have to ask guests to park in another car park and I cannot apologise enough that you were directed to one which was closed. I will investigate this further and make sure that the receptionist staff are aware of what car parks are nearby and what hours they operate. I am sure that next time you stay with us we will not have this problem. Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you in the hotel in the near future.