“Good hotel, central location”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, central location”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very good hotel. Receptionists were excellent, both courteous and efficient.
The rooms were clean, bed comfortable and quiet even though we were facing the main street.
Breakfast was a little disappointing in that the quality of the food could have been better. The waitresses were great and very quick to bring the tea and toast etc.
All in all would definitely recommend this hotel. Will stay again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Knockchree,

Thank you very much, I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please let me apologise, however, for you disappointment with breakfast. As you can see from our other reviews we usually get positive feedback regarding our breakfasts but I will mention in to the kitchen and see what we can do about improving their quality.
Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation, I hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Cumbria UK
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Revisited this hotel as a couple just before Christmas 2013 and were bitterly disappointed. We had planned Christmas shopping, a night at the theatre and a cosy week-end stay at The Crown and Mitre. Unfortunately, the University of Cumbria had taken over the hotel for graduations and the whole place was crowded, noisy and there was no hiding place for ordinary mortals. I am not criticising the students and parents who were very well behaved - there were just too many people there for the poor overworked staff to deal with. We were given a room at the back of the hotel that was bitterly cold and felt damp, the décor was dingy. the bedding thin and there was a huge rip in a dirty net curtain that covered a window looking on to a yard with a broken down deep freeze in it The bar was full and the log fire in reception not in use because the University was holding an advertising exhibition there. It was impossible to find anywhere to sit in comfort and have a drink We decided to return to the comfort of our nice cosy home and did not get to the theatre. I wrote and complained to the manager who replied swiftly and offered us a new deal if we revisited. I replied by mail that I would prefer it if he refunded the £60 we'd lost on the concert tickets and donate it to a local charity. I received no reply. As I broke my leg the following week I did not follow my complaint through, hence this late review. The Crown and Mitre is a good place to stay under normal circumstances so do check before you book that no large function is taking place during your visit and make sure you are given a decent warm room . I felt like a second rate citizen trying to get warm in that dingy dump of a room. It was an insult to put a paying guest in there.

Room Tip: Check before you book that you are in an upgraded room not at the back of the hotel. No large functi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ascribbler
Dear Ascribbler,

Thank you for your review, I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not get my second letter as I sent to you shortly after receiving your reply. We did refund the £60 and donated it to a charity. I hope that this satisfies you that action was taken but if you would like to speak to me directly regarding this please do not hesitate to call me on 01228 525491 and I would be happy to discuss it with you.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely hotel great location, rooms immaculate, once again a very busy visit for our daughters graduation so not a lot of time to waste trying to get service, do wish we brits didn't have to demand good service this was a busy event with tight schedules put some bar staff on pleeeeese it would make such a difference to your customers and staff, we waited far to long there was not even a que, just a very unhappy staff member who looked like he'd rather be anywhere but behind that bar also we arrived in plenty of time for breakfast but already being cleared away, although the staff were brilliant at putting it right and the food was delicious. Our visit to Carlisle was by no means spoilt but could have been perfect.

Room Tip: Ask on booking fora larger room , my daughters room was my h buff Ask for larger room on bookin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank needabreak493
Dear Needabreak493,

Thank you for taking the time to write this Trip Advisor review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but I am sorry that is was not perfect. As it was graduation week the hotel was very busy and we do try to get as many staff in as possible to make sure that we do provide great customer service. I can only apologise that you did not receive this at the bar during your visit. I will look into why breakfast was being cleared away when you arrived, it may have been that the staff were putting out fresh items for the later guests. I am glad that you found the food delicious when it did arrive and I will pass this feedback on to our kitchen team.

Our rooms sizes do vary and we are in the process of refurbishing all of our bedrooms which is why you may have noticed a difference between your room and your daughters. As the hotel was completely full we were unable to move you to a different room on this occasion. I hope that you will visit us again in the near future and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Towards the end of June we once again stayed in The Crown & Mitre. This must have been our 10th visit. We were dealt with very quickly and efficiently at reception and were handed the key to our requested room at the front of the hotel on the first floor. As usual the room was very spacious. The bathroom was very clean and had an included bathmat which I had requested last year.. WiFi was working well in the room with the password from reception and the tea & coffee tray was well stocked This year we had opted for bed, breakfast and evening meal. As usual the breakfast was plentiful, and the service was quick and efficient. There was a good choice on the evening meal menu which could be eaten formally in the restaurant or less formally in the bar. all restaurant/bar staff were very competent and friendly.
A major factor for us staying at the Crown & Mitre is the secure hotel car park and it's location in the city centre. Having stayed there for several years, we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Mary E,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review of the hotel, I am glad that you had a lovely stay with us in June and on your previous visits. We take all of our reviews on board and we are always looking for ways of improving the hotel. Reviews like yours let me know that the hotel is keeping up with the high standards that we set, I will make sure to pass your comments on to the rest of the team. Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will be back soon for your 11th visit.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Very surprised, following reading comments arrived there with loads of apprehension today. Pepped into bedroom ---- yes newly refurbished!!!
Never go by general disillusionment !! Staff so friendly and helpful, breakfast suited us - buffet. The evening meal - what a winner. Never strayed so far away, so centralised. No need to be concerned re car park, locked obviously for security. Had a few days enjoying retail therapy, backwards and forwards to shops and hotel!!
Understandingly for scaffolding - it's a listed building - even Exeter Cathedral cannot get away without it - well that's what it was like last time I visited!!
Will keep my eyes open for offer again, which I saw in national newspaper.

Migmog

Room Tip: Please, please do not believe all that you read on Trip Advisor until you have been there first!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Migmog,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am very glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the hotel. I will make sure that I pass on your comments to the rest of the team who I am sure will be pleased with your review.
I am also happy to hear that the scaffolding did not bother you during your visit. We are trying to keep the noise down to a minimum and with little disruption as possible to our guests. Your review lets me know that we are achieving this.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will come visit us again in the near future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Been 3 times. The larger rooms are better. Breakfast is good. Pool tiny but nice.
Only complaints are some rooms very small and having to wait ages at check in.
Been with my 6 year ond nice who loves it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Kaz7600,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review of the hotel, feedback is always appreciated and we take it all on board so we can improve the facilities and services of the hotel. Check in is from 2pm onwards and we try to get all of our guests checked in as quickly as possible but I will look into how we can try and speed this process up even more. I am glad that you and your niece have enjoyed your multiple stays at the hotel, I hope to see you on your next visit. Thank you again for your review.
Newcastle on Tyne ,UK
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have driven past Carlisle on many occasions but never been. This hotel proved to be the perfect choice. The hotel has character as it is about 100 years old with large rooms used for wedding receptions. The hotel front is smack in the middle of the pedestrianised City Centre. The Cathedral is practically next door and the Castle and museums are 5 to 10 minutes walk away.
The shopping centre is a few minutes walk and the lively area for night life about ten to fifteen minutes away. We had a large quiet, clean executive room with a king size bed and a bed settee .The staff were friendly and the food good. Most rooms were standard sized. Rooms were being refurbished while we were there but there was no disruption for us. Some worn carpets in corridors I expect will be replaced soon. There was plenty of choice for breakfast which was served in a very pleasant dining room. There is a very small pool, ask reception for a key.The car park at the rear was difficult to find. Ask reception for directions. You go down a "no through"lane behind M and S to the car park,watch out as the last few yards is mainly for pedestrians. We stayed the weekend,once parked we could explore on foot. If coming by train you could walk to the hotel if you are travelling light.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Tynetraveller51,

Thank you very much for your kind review of the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you found the location of the hotel to be ideal for your visit. The hotel is going through a refurbishment and you are correct in that some of the carpets are due to be replaced soon. We do always try to remind our guests that there is a separate postcode to the car park (CA3 8HB) which will take them directly to our car park which is situated on Blackfriars Street at the rear of the hotel. Thank you again for your review and I do hope that you will choose to stay at the hotel again on your next visit to Carlisle.