“A series of accidents”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A series of accidents”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a stopover on the way home, giving us a day of Carlisle sightseeing, which we enjoyed. However, everything seemed to go wrong - but please read the positives below as well as the negatives. A glitch in the booking website meant I had to finish the booking by phone - but received no confirmation, which I was told later would have given us directions to find the carpark through the labyrinthine back streets. After an hour and a half rush-hour searching, two very generous individuals drove us to the front door, which we discovered covered in scaffolding without a visible name board. Needle in a haystack. When we checked out, we discovered we had been booked for dinner B&B which we didn't know about and were to be charged for 4 dinners we had not had. The manager eventually intervened and struck this off. We had been upgraded to a suite, but unfortunately the near 100 decibel pneumatic drills 9-5 meant we could not enjoy it during the day. Nevertheless, the hotel was nice, and will be good when refurbished. Our issues, though unfortunate, were sorted out. My advice to check-in staff is to check with the visitor on arrival what they think they have booked for.

Room Tip: Check the state of the building works to get a room as far away from the noise as possible.
2 Thank Stephen B
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and for putting the positives of your experience on this review too.

The reception staff should check the rate and what the guests have booked upon check in and I am sorry that it was not spotted on your arrival by the receptionist or yourself. I am glad, however, that we managed to sort this confusion out for you and refunded you the price of your meals that you did not eat.

Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will come back to the hotel again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here with 3 friends for one night.
The staff at check in were friendly and efficient, as were all the staff we met, including the night porter.
The hotel has an air of faded grandeur but is currently undergoing a make over.
The rooms were spotlessly clean and perfectly adequate if rather dated but as previously mentioned the hotel is being refurbished.
Breakfast was plentiful with a decent selection of both hot and cold food available. However one of our group ordered a Spanish omelette which was so overcooked that it was almost in edible.
It is located in the middle of town so is handy for everything.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Romc25
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Romc25,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback that we get and take it all on board. I am pleased that you found the staff to be helpful and pleasant, I will make sure I pass that comment on. Regarding the food at breakfast, I am glad that you found the selection and amount to be plentiful. I am sorry, however, that the Spanish omelette wasn’t enjoyable. I have spoken to the chef and breakfast staff who should have spotted that the omelette wasn’t up to our usual standards and taken it back to the kitchen before serving you it. I just wish that you had mentioned this to someone at breakfast as I am positive they would have made you a better one straight away.

Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will come visit us again soon to see how well we getting on with our refurbishment.
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stopped off on our way to the Commonwealth Games , a great hotel in the centre of Carlise . Excellent quiet room in the Annexe at the rear as requested, good parking facilities . Had evening meal in the Hotel , great atmosphere , good service and high quality food .Breakfast equal high standard. Highly recommended .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin T
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Kevin T,

Thank you very much for your review, I am pleased that you had a nice stay with us. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team who will be delighted to hear more great feedback. I hope that you enjoyed your time at the Commonwealth Games. Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation, I hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Very central located hotel with a nice swimming pool very close to lots of places to eat and drink and the sites.
The room was comfortable and quiet although very hot.
There is limited parking.
Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dale H
Dear Dale H,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We do have fans that are available from reception which you could have had in your room during your stay to keep it cooler, I hope this did not disrupt your stay too much. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen regarding your breakfast as they will appreciate the feedback. Thank you again for your review, I will look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

stayed one night as we went the sand center to see joules holland nice pleasent stay bit dated but nice and clean all the staff lovely breakfast nice great for anyone travelling to carlisle smack bang in middle of town center 5mins walk to train station would recommend

Room Tip: 118 nice and quite nice comfy bed
Dear Wadjap,

Thank you for review of your recent stay at the hotel, I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team who will also be happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, I hope to see you in the hotel again soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We also stayed here for the graduation and it was perfect. It is right in the centre of Carlisle with a large car park and a nice pub at the back, where we drank our pims !! The weather was great which helped no end. The staff are very friendly and helpful, including the reservation staff, when I had to amend my booking. The hotel is in the middle of a refurb, but our family room was a great size. I would recommend this hotel and stay again if in Carlisle

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the front of the hotel are ok. A friend had a room overlooking the church on...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Caroline12349,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel. I am glad that you had such a wonderful time with us. I am also glad to hear that you weren’t affected by the refurbishment which is going on throughout the hotel and that you found your room suitable to your needs. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will visit the hotel again.
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our first visit to the Crown & mitre Hotel. The sad part is we could not stay longer due to work. Very quick check in and out dispite leaving at silly o'clock. Fantastic location.Fantastic staff food in the restraurant was first class. The Hotel is a listed building with loads of history so it would be a nice idea to have a brief history of the hotel in leaflet form in the bedroom for guests to take away and share.

Room Tip: over looking cathedral.
Dear Keith,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the hotel I am pleased that you had a great stay with us. I take all comments on board so that to improve the hotel so I will definitely look into getting an information leaflet in each of our bedrooms as this is a good idea. Thank you again for your review, I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.