“A nice friendly hotel!”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Leighton Buzzard, England, United Kingdom
“A nice friendly hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife, 11-year-old son and I stayed here for two nights on the way from Bedfordshire to Scotland, and then for another night on the way back home. I think we all enjoyed it. We liked its city-centre location and appreciated being able to park our car on-site. The bar food was good. We had fun each day swimming in the small pool. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a lot of old-world charm (including marble columns, stained glass, vaulted ceilings), but that does mean some of the carpets are a bit frayed and the interior decoration looks rather tired in places - particularly in the bedrooms (although these were large, comfortable and clean). The sound-proofing between bedrooms rooms could be improved - during our final night we spent too long listening to our neighbours chatting into the small hours. That said, I would go back there because of the city centre location, helpful staff and glimpse of the world before anonymous hotel chains took over - hence the four stars.

I would add that Carlisle is a great city, well worth a visit if you have smallish children.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Garry L
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Garry L,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed their stay and would return to the hotel. The hotel is going through a refurbishment at the moment and we are working on improving the areas that you have mentioned. Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to see some of these changes.

Thank you again for your review, I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on two separate nights and the public areas are absolutely lovely and very art deco in style however the rooms themselves are grim. It's not that their unclean it's just that they are a bit shabby and could be cleaner. Everything in the rooms really needs updating. Food was excellent in the restaurant and as room service. The car park is far too small for the building though however you can double park and leave your car keys with reception. This hotel would have been amazing in it's Hey day in the 1920s and 1930s. It's a shame it's been neglected. The staff could not be friendlier and more helpful if they tried. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on in the room next Door. The windows really could do with a good wash!!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Alexandra P
Dear Alexandra P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I take all feedback on board to ensure that we can provide the best service possible. As you probably noticed on your visit that the hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment, at the moment we are currently working on the front of the hotel and also the bedrooms and corridors. We are trying to complete all the bedrooms as quickly as possible, it was just unfortunate that you were not able to experience one of our refurbished rooms during your stay. I am glad that you found the public areas to be better as we have recently finished refurbishing some of those.

Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will come and visit the hotel in the future and stay in one of our refurbished rooms.
alloa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed recently on a visit to Carlisle for the racing. Had read reviews so knew "roughly" what to expect.what we were unaware of was the frontage being covered by scaffolding and netting and whistling workmen passing our window like a scene from Spiderman !. Only negative from this was our inability to open our curtains at any time to enjoy the glorious weather and the pleasant view of the pedestrian area.Minor inconvenience more than made up by the friendly welcome from the receptionist on our arrival and the complimentary glass of wine offered while we waited for our room to be serviced.All the staff we encountered were pleasant and courteous and although we did not spend too much time at our hotel (,we did not have dinner).,what we experienced, swim in the pool,breakfast,location, were all very good .. Car park was a bit tight and just as well we had directions,but it is a big asset for a hotel in the centre of town. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to our friends. when next in the area we will certainly go back. So much more value and character than the Purple inn chain that have three hotels in the area,.

Room Tip: Ask about facade work prior to arrival
1 Thank happytravellerAlloa
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear HappytravellerAlloa,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you would return to the Crown and Mitre Hotel. I am sorry that the scaffolding was a bit of an inconvenience but I am glad that the staff and everything else made up for this. I will make sure that I pass on your comments to the rest of the team regarding the hotel and its staff.

Thank you again for your review, I will look forward to your next visit.
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Having previously stayed at the Hallmark Hotel by the train station when we've stayed in Carlisle, hubby and I decided to try the Crown & Mitre as a 'special' treat for our birthdays. Unfortunately when we approached, we saw all the front of the hotel covered by scaffolding. Not a good sign, but it didn't interfere with our stay at all. The receptionist on check in was lovely and told us our room wasn't quite ready but that it would only be in five minutes or so. We therefore decided to go for a leisurely drink in the hotel bar till it was ready. After half an hour or so we went to our room only to find it not completely made up which was rather strange. However this was no major problem, we left our bags and went shopping in Carlisle. On our return our room was fine. It was spacious, quiet with pleasant décor. There was also complimentary tea ,coffee & toiletries. The bed was very comfy, but the room was a little too warm. Again this was no big problem and opening the window did the trick! We had booked an evening meal in the hotel restaurant but cancelled it as there was only one other couple in there. It just seemed to be lacking a bit of 'atmosphere' but this is hardly surprising as it was a Thursday night. It's a pity really, because the menu looked really good! However the bar area was nice and we did enjoy a couple of reasonably priced drinks in there before retiring to bed. Check out in the morning was prompt. All the staff had been lovely. But would I stay again? Sadly probably not! For me,it wasn't that 'special'.

1 Thank elainematty
Dear Welltraveled200,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay but I am also disappointed to read that you did not find your stay to be anything special. We have scaffolding up on the front of the building as we are restoring its front elevation, I am pleased that this did not disturb you during your stay. I am sorry that when you entered your room it was not ready, I am sure if you had called down to reception they would have sent someone up to your room straight away to finish the room. I am going to look into how we can improve communication between the housekeeping and reception staff so this issue doesn’t arise again. I am also surprised that we were not busy in the restaurant as we are usually quite popular and get a lot of compliments regarding the food that we serve.

Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will choose the crown and mitre again on your next visit.
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Enjoyed a night here. Excellent service, food and position. Room could have been a bit bigger, but was clean and comfortable. Would recommend this to friends and will certainly stay here again. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear McKelvie,

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that you had an excellent stay with us. At the Crown and Mitre we try very hard to satisfy each guest and provide the best service that we can and reviews like yours let me know that we are succeeding at this. Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation, I will look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Carlisle.
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We returned to this hotel in July at the invitation of Mr Crossley the manager after a disappointing stay October 2013. Our October visit had seen us changing rooms for various reasons of which some have been listed by other Tripadvisors.
Our most recent visit was the experience we expected from a Peel Hotel. The room was spacious and offered the 'plus' element of an Executive Room. Bed was comfy,,pillows plentiful,towels of a good size and everything clean - well done the housekeeping team. Those who need wi-fi may find it difficult to connect to in some of the rooms

Breakfast , served in the first floor dining room,was a delight and the staff very helpful and obliging. The buffet provided catered for every need with pastries,jams,yogurt,fresh fruit,cereals,juices, and the cooked section providing a full English. Other items are available and can be ordered from the menu. Excellent

One item missing was bread - when we asked for a slice of bread it was brought toasted whereas we required just a plain slice

Evening meals are served on the ground floor dining areas which can be a little dark. After mid morning, weather permitting, you can eat outside - brilliant - by 12 noon all the tables were taken by coffee/beer drinkers/light lunch eaters, a success story here

Try not to go into the annex,and if your room is not what you expect then say so then and there, dont complain after your visit, give the management a chance to put things right.

At the moment there is some building work and the front of the hotel is covered by scaffolding and sheeting which intrudes a little into the privacy (especially when workers may pass by your window) so check this out. As it was the weekend when we stayed it was not a problem for us, but obviously if you want to stay in bed after 8am during the week it might be.

As previously mentioned by others choice of room may be influenced by if there is a large function booked into the hotel so best to check this.

I would stay here again (on proviso I had checked bookings already made by others)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Diboo2317,

Thank you very much for writing this review of your second stay at the hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that it reached your expectations. We do take all comments and feedback on board to try and improve the hotel and its services. I am glad that you chose to give the Crown and Mitre hotel a second chance and we were able to prove this to you.

Thank you once again for your review I will make sure I pass on your comments to the rest of the hotel and we hope to see you again soon.
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a stopover on the way home, giving us a day of Carlisle sightseeing, which we enjoyed. However, everything seemed to go wrong - but please read the positives below as well as the negatives. A glitch in the booking website meant I had to finish the booking by phone - but received no confirmation, which I was told later would have given us directions to find the carpark through the labyrinthine back streets. After an hour and a half rush-hour searching, two very generous individuals drove us to the front door, which we discovered covered in scaffolding without a visible name board. Needle in a haystack. When we checked out, we discovered we had been booked for dinner B&B which we didn't know about and were to be charged for 4 dinners we had not had. The manager eventually intervened and struck this off. We had been upgraded to a suite, but unfortunately the near 100 decibel pneumatic drills 9-5 meant we could not enjoy it during the day. Nevertheless, the hotel was nice, and will be good when refurbished. Our issues, though unfortunate, were sorted out. My advice to check-in staff is to check with the visitor on arrival what they think they have booked for.

Room Tip: Check the state of the building works to get a room as far away from the noise as possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen B
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and for putting the positives of your experience on this review too.

The reception staff should check the rate and what the guests have booked upon check in and I am sorry that it was not spotted on your arrival by the receptionist or yourself. I am glad, however, that we managed to sort this confusion out for you and refunded you the price of your meals that you did not eat.

Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will come back to the hotel again in the near future.