“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Visited over the bank holiday weekend for 2 nights. Check in was busy 1 of our rooms wasn't ready but only had to wait an hour so no big deal. I suppose it depends what kind of outlook you have on life as to how positive/ negative you review this hotel, so yes there was flaky wallpaper and dirty grout and the rooms were tired and in need of decorating but to me this just added to the charm of the place and for £65 what do you expect. The pool area was fine, the bar area clean and the food looked great although we didn't eat there. The hotels location is the main positive, bang in the city centre but didn't have any issues with noise even though there was 2 weddings that weekend. Would I visit again--definitely.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Yorksboy127,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and would return to the hotel in the future. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment as you may have noticed during your stay, we are currently working on improving our bedrooms so hopefully we will have more newly refurbished rooms the next time you visit. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Crown and Mitre Hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night. The hotel is in the centre of Carlyle, but the parking is a fair walk from the hotel, as when we arrived the hotel car park was full. We then couldn't find the hotel as it was enveloped in scaffolding with no sign that under it all was indeed a hotel!
Reception wasn't very welcoming, and the whole hotel even from that first look at it in reception looks like it needs a full overhaul inside.
Our room confirmed my fears, looking really depressing and drab. The floor was very uneven under the carpet, and for a hotel in the centre of a city, this was not at all what I was expecting. Drab, depressing, and it didn't look very clean either.......
The beds though weren't bad and as we were exhausted, we did in fact have a not too bad a sleep.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mickigirl1310
Dear Mickigirl1310,

Thank you for your review, please let me apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us. You mentioned in your review that the hotel seemed drab and dreary, we are undergoing a refurbishment to improve the hotel we are trying to complete this as quickly as possible and with minimal disruption to our guests. As you can see from many of our reviews it has not been a problem for most guests, it is just unfortunate that you were one of the few that were disturbed.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will stay with us again in the future to see the improvements that we are making.
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

This is a run down hotel with poor management and grim rooms. It is very noisy at night with dance music booming until one a.m. You will need to dodge pools of vomit and drunks on your way to the restaurants. There is no lift access to many of the rooms requiring you to carry bags to your room with the stairs. The swimming pool is small and dirty. The water is almost opaque it was so filthy. The car park is small and do not expect parking when you arrive. The hotel is covered with scaffolding, as it is under construction, so you do risk workers peeking in your windows in the morning. Avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank DrDSaintPaul
Dear DrDSaintPaul,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that the management was poor, as you can see from other reviews that we are often commended on our staff members including the management. It seems that maybe we did not reach your expectations and I cannot apologise enough for this. Regarding there being no lift access, as the hotel is quite old some of the rooms were built on floors that are in between levels to make sure that the hotel can hold as many people as possible. Unfortunately this means that there are a few stairs to get to some rooms. However, reception always makes sure to ask each guest if they need any help with their luggage and we do take requests from guests prior to arrival if they have specific room requirements.

During your stay there was a wedding on in the hotel. Unfortunately we cannot be accountable for customers at a wedding however we do try to be as vigilant as possible.

I cannot understand how the pool could have been that dirty as it is cleaned on a regular basis to a high standard. However, since your review I have made sure that I personally checked the pool after it was cleaned this week and I found it to be done to the same standard that I expect.

As we are a city centre hotel our car park can be limited, we do try to fit in as many cars as possible and we do have an overflow car park that is close to the hotel and free of charge to our guests. I am sorry that this was not explained to you on your arrival and I hope that you did not have too much trouble with finding a place to park. The scaffolding at the front will hopefully be down by the end of September, it is currently in place while we do some renovations to the hotel frontage. We have letters that we hand out to guests on their arrival regarding the scaffolding and that men will be working on it from 9am till 5pm so they are aware that people may be able to see into their rooms during this time.

Thank you again for your review I hope that you will give the Crown and Mitre Hotel a second chance as I am sure you will not be disappointed again.
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here whilst traveling on business. I booked it through a website and was expecting "cheap digs" the room was basic but I had booked a budget single room,however the service I received from reception staff and through every member of staff I saw, I was over whelmed it's great to see that genuine happy staff and great customer service is highly regarded at this hotel.

I most certainly will be staying here again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Allan J,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of the hotel, I really appreciate all the feedback that we get. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be more than helpful. I will be sure to pass this on to the rest of the team who will all be pleased with your review.

Thank you again and I will look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Crown and Mitre hotel.
Prenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

we stayed here again in july for our 4th wedding anniversary, once again had a wonderful stay in room we book every year :-) the room as been renovated to a very high standard and looks even more amazing than it did before, so there was scaffolding outside but this was no big deal, it is there for the purpose of improving an already beautiful building, we had our anniversary meal in the peace and plenty restaurant and buffet breakfast the following morning , food is lovely, ( as was our wedding reception meal 4 years earlier) can not rate this beautiful place highly enough and thank all the staff for another special weekend

Room Tip: the bridal suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Diane,

Thank you so much for writing this review, I am happy to hear that you and your husband had another great stay with us to celebrate your 4th anniversary. It is always a pleasure to have you both stay with us and I will look forward to seeing you again next year.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have to agree with other reviews, first impressions were not good but despite it's tired and in need of updating decor, I did quite enjoy my stay. The food in the bar was very good, ate there for two of the three nights. Breakfast was very nice, and the staff were attentive and helpful. Had a problem with the loo in my room but a phone call to reception and one of their staff were there almost immediately and dealt with it efficiently. Also on one morning the housekeeping staff had failed to refill the tea and coffee tray with milk and again this was rectified immediately. The room itself was very dismal with awful wallpaper and worn carpets but the bed was comfortable and it was clean. So basically the staff were great, the facilities were ok and I would probably go back in the hope that the scaffolding was gone and some decorating had been done!

Room Tip: Make sure you aren't at the front of the hotel at the moment!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sheena S
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Sheena S,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff work very hard to ensure that every guest is satisfied and happy during their stay, I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team who will also be pleased to hear your review. We are currently working on refurbishing the hotel in particular the bedrooms and corridors, we are trying to complete this as soon as possible but unfortunately some of our rooms are yet to be completed. Hopefully you will visit us again in the future to see the improvements that are being made.
Leighton Buzzard, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife, 11-year-old son and I stayed here for two nights on the way from Bedfordshire to Scotland, and then for another night on the way back home. I think we all enjoyed it. We liked its city-centre location and appreciated being able to park our car on-site. The bar food was good. We had fun each day swimming in the small pool. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a lot of old-world charm (including marble columns, stained glass, vaulted ceilings), but that does mean some of the carpets are a bit frayed and the interior decoration looks rather tired in places - particularly in the bedrooms (although these were large, comfortable and clean). The sound-proofing between bedrooms rooms could be improved - during our final night we spent too long listening to our neighbours chatting into the small hours. That said, I would go back there because of the city centre location, helpful staff and glimpse of the world before anonymous hotel chains took over - hence the four stars.

I would add that Carlisle is a great city, well worth a visit if you have smallish children.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Garry L
Dear Garry L,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed their stay and would return to the hotel. The hotel is going through a refurbishment at the moment and we are working on improving the areas that you have mentioned. Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to see some of these changes.

Thank you again for your review, I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.