“Not great for locals”
Review of Cumbria Park Hotel

Cumbria Park Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I attempted to get a bar meal there recently. It was 8pm on a Saturday night. We stood for around five minutes at an unattended bar waiting for assistance. I went to reception and a lady there a said someone would serve us shortly. I asked if we could have a bar meal and the lady said we could. The bar staff seemed to be too busy with a coach party, so we shouted across could we have a drink. They said they would be with us shortly but we carried on waiting. As one raced passed with plates I asked if we could have a bar meal. They said no it was a set menu only. We left and ate somewhere else. We only live a short walk away and it's disappointing that the hotel only seems to feel the need to cater for large coach parties and not the local residents especially on a Saturday night. I've never found the food to be great there anyway but the location is good and for us it was handy to be able to have a drink and not drive

• Stayed: May 2014
Jessey B, Operations Director at Cumbria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

CumbriaLiz,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your most recent experience to our attn. As you mentioned we do get rather busy on the weekends. However, this is no excuse for the service levels experienced.

As a local business we really hope to strengthen local relationships and grow our non-resident business. Therefore it is very disappointing to receive your feedback. I shall be taking the matter up with the food and beverage manager.

With the new gym opening within the next few weeks and local offers being placed on the bar i would love to be able to invite you back for a meal and would ask that you get in touch we me directly to discuss this further.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Checked in on the Saturday mid afternoon, receptionist was very polite and extremely friendly.

The hotel building looks like it's part of a row of terraced houses and so you go along corridors up and down stairs as you progress through the building to your room.

The public areas of the hotel have obviously recently been refurbished and it has been done well and in a style that is sympathetic to the fabric of the building. Everywhere was very clean and polished.

I'd booked a single room and it had obvioulsy been refurbished recently as well, the bathroom was light and airy with what looked like new tiling and the bedroom itself extremely functional, well lit and exactly as you'd expect.

Opened one of the cupboards in the room and found a previous guest had left 2 cans of beer. Some places you don't even get plain biscuits so was pretty pleased.

When I mentioned it to reception, the receptionist was extremely apologetic and kept saying how sorry she was, as I pointed out I was delighted, that it had made my day and an ideal thing to find.

Breakfast was hot, well cooked and plenty of it. As a result of a large coach party also having breakfast at that time the chef was continually out making sure the cooked items were replenished which meant nothing was lying too long and you could taste the food was freshly cooked.

All in all, well worth the cost and would recommend/use again if in that area.

Only thing I would maybe suggest is that they have small maps showing where the car park is located as if you are using the public car park at the end while checking in, and end up having to go round behind the hotel and te epub it's not the easiest place to find.

Room Tip: Room at the back was certainly very quiet
1  Thank Colin M

Colin M,

I'm really pleased you took the time to write a review on your most recent stay. Your words are very encouraging and have been passed onto the relevant teams.

Whilst i know you view the beer cans in a very positive light and i don't blame you. I have had to take the matter up with housekeeping as it is evident the wardrobe was not checked when the room was serviced. But don't worry i wont be too hard on the girls as you have been very complimentary in all other areas.

Also, thank you for your suggestion. As a result i have asked reception to alter the welcome email to include details about our rear carpark.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had a comfortable stopover at the Cumbria Park on my way to the lakes. The hotel is a short drive from the M6 whether you approach it from the north or the south. I arrived one way and left the other. The car park to the rear is handy. I'd advise you to reverse park if you park to the side on the right as you enter, once the spaces in the middle fill up reversing out is tight.

My room rate was very good and I was allocated a small room with a double bed and good wardrobe space. The room looks partially refurbished with a modern carpet and bedding as well as fresh tiling in the bathroom. It looked out into a small courtyard with a water fountain which was nice, on the ground floor you often get a car park view.

The receptionist was friendly and offered me the chance to add breakfast when I checked in without any pressure to accept it. I had planned an early start so did not have time for breakfast. I did eat in the restaurant in the evening and found the service pleasant and relaxed. The tables were nicely set and there was a good choice of dishes on the menu. My scotch broth (soup of the day), followed by lamb and vegetable (mainly mushrooms) pie from the specials board were very tasty dishes.

In the morning when I checked out the receptionist was just as friendly as she had been on my arrival. At check in she had made a point about nothing being taken from my card in the pre-authorisation and again confirmed this when I was leaving. Having seen some of the comments on here I now understand why.

I had a couple of minor points for improvement that I emailed to the hotel upon my return. They were not the kind of thing to stress out about at the time and were best followed up later. I have already had a response acknowledging my feedback and telling me how my points will be addressed. That is what I had hoped for and is why the hotel gets a very good rating from me.

Overall I can recommend this hotel and would stay here again. If room size is important to you then make sure you check size of room offered on the tariff you are booking. In my case a small room was perfect and matched the price point.

2  Thank LothiansJack
Jessey B, Operations Director at Cumbria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

LothiansJack,

It was great to have accommodated your lodging requirements and as mentioned in private correspondence the constructive comments offered have been welcomed by the team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel whilst on a coach party trip. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a good choice at the buffet breakfast and the choice of evening meals was different every evening and were cooked excellently. All in all a good hotel to stay at and just a 15 minute walk from the centre of Carlisle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda D
Jessey B, Operations Director at Cumbria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Linda D,

I'm really pleased you took the time to write about your most recent stay with us here at the Cumbria Park Hotel. We really enjoyed having your group in over the week and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel has a an excellent restaurant and value for money as well as a very convenient location to the major sites (Cathedral and Castle) in Carlisle. Helpful, friendly staff and top quality service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank pthomas306

pthomas306,

Great to hear from you. Value, Location, Food! sounds like an advertising slogan. We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and have taken to time to post a review on tripadvisor.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was our second time staying in this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful and it is conveniently located for the centre of Carlisle. The price is reasonable and both rooms we have stayed in have been comfortable and clean. The WI-FI is not very good sadly and I feel at the cost of £7.50 per person the breakfast is a bit steep but overall a great hotel :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Jessey B, Operations Director at Cumbria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Sarah f,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for a second time. I do repeat myself a few times when i say that the best type of business is repeat business.

I will have to get maintenance to look at the wifi situation. We did experience some issues when switching provider earlier this year but hoped that this had been fully addressed. If, an hopefully you do again, you stay again and experience any issues, please let the reception team know and we'll do our best to rectify the situation.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The night prior to leaving I tried to settle our account as we were catching a cab at 4.30am the following morning. I was assured that it could wait until morning as the night staff could complete the transaction.

When I tried to settle the account at 4.15am I was at first presented with the wrong bill which was for a much greater amount than what I owed. After explaining that this wasn't the right bill I was then charged three times too much. The staff member explained that she didn't know what she was doing and couldn't reverse the charges. This would have to be done by one of her co-workers at 7.30am. As we almost missed the cab we had to leave.

I was then called at 7.00 and informed that the charges had been reversed.

It has now been 2.5 days since we left and we still have not been refunded.

I will now need to follow-up despite having left the country.

Un-acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2014

BN19,

Thank you for taking to time to post your review. I have investigated the matter and understand that our night porter had miss-charged your account. I can assure you that as soon as the receptionist was in at 7:30am the account was rectified.

I am conscious you had spoken with our operations manager and discussed this in length the same day, agreeing the wait a few days to see the refund come back onto your account. I hope this has happened and would ask that you contact me directly at the hotel should there be any further issues.

We are as a matter of procedure re-training our night staff regarding payment procedures to ensure this incident is not repeated.

Kindest regards