“INVISIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!”
Review of Cumbria Park Hotel

Cumbria Park Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a complete joke, booked two double rooms over 5 weeks ago over the telephone direct to the hotels reception and was told a certain price for the rooms, the receptionist took my debit card details over the phone and I asked could I pay cash on arrival and was told that was absolutely fine. So arrived yesterday 19/07/2014 at 2pm and was told the room wasn't ready and to come back in an hour, so walked around in the pouring rain! So went back to check in and pay cash for the rooms and was told by the very rude receptionist who made her mind up about me & my 3 friends in seconds looked down her nose at us. Firstly the rooms were a different price to what I was quoted and then said she we needed a credit or debit card to stay, even though I had previously been told we could pay cash. None of us had our bank cards on us. So she said we couldn't stay. So I asked to speak to the manager, who was not there so I was told the same by the restaurant manager who was also very rude, so I demanded that I speak with the manager. so eventually they got him on the phone to me, straight away he was very rude and said let me tell you if you haven't got a card or £150 bond you can't stay, so I said what ever happened to the customer is right and his reply was the customer isn't always right and starting arguing with me on the phone, I would most certainly NOT recommend this hotel to anyone! Thanks for totally ruining our trip!

Room Tip: Don't stay here EVER!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank nixiechick1
Jessey B, Operations Director at Cumbria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

nixiechick1,

Thank you for taking the time to put your concerns on this Forum. I cannot say it was unexpected as the following was recieved by your mother over the weekend:

Extremely disappointed with your treatment of my daughter and her friends, a group of four females on a 'hen party'. Booked your hotel over two weeks ago, receptionist stated 'cash payment acceptable', no other specifications. Yet on arrival, they were told to 'return in an hour to check in' then refused accommodation due to not having a debit/credit card. DO YOU MAKE UP YOUR OWN RULES AS YOU GO ALONG??????? I SHALL GIVE YOU A VERY NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!!

I would spend more time in refuting what has been said but on hearing the level of abusive languge that was used on both my staff and the company director (not Manager) i do not wish to 'get into it'.

Our policy, which is detailed on our website, all booking forums and advised by staff is that we require a pre-authoirsation.

Regards

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Cheap, clean and friendly, this should definitely be more than 3 stars. The decor is slightly dated (think grandma), but other than that we couldn't fault it.

The breakfast was cooked well, the room was large and the standard of cleanliness was very high. From the first moment we felt welcome - the receptionist was professional and friendly and we had a lovely evening.

Will stay here when next in Carlisle.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jessey B, Operations Director at Cumbria Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Rhod_Wilson

Thanks for the great review.

We're very flattered regarding the upgrade in star rating. However, our ethos is to provide a great service at reasonable prices and therefore quite happy within our current market.

I’m pleased to announce that our public areas are under going an extensive refurbishment, which should help pull them forward. This includes changing light fittings and upholstery, which is planned to give the property a traditional feel with a modern edge.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

hotel rooms small no bedroom light switch or lights by bed food on evinging poor bread rolls rock hard could not get menue right same soup three nights following staff did there best bar staff okay no entainment

Room Tip: ask for superier room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Littlejohn424,

I believe from looking at this review you stayed with us on a tour group.

Unfortunately, as our trade is predominately commercial and Leisure business we do not sell tours with entertainment etc and are not geared in that fashion. This is relayed to the coach companies; however, on occasion they omit to advise their ‘tourists’.

Regarding the Soup, I shall investigate with the kitchen. However, with four individual menus written up I would be surprised if the same soup was on for more than one night.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great location for our 2 night stay at the start of a 5 day Hadrians Wall walk. I had stayed here on business a few years back and the redecoration has really lifted the reception, bar and main dining areas.The hotel is very good value, food was good and the staff delightfully helpful, pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to avoid top floor in hot weather - we really needed the pedestal fans which are of course noisy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JACKIE V

Jackie V,

It was fantastic to get your recent review. I'm really pleased, having stayed with us previously; you were able to really take in the changes we've made.

I hope the rest of your tour went well and thought you might be interested In knowing the following:

‘During organized excavation work undertaken by the Carlisle archeological unit in June 1984 a section of the outer wall of the Roman fort was found. It was established that the Northern wall ran right through the hotels rear car park. Whilst the business was unable to leave the excavation open, markers can be found in the car park along side further information. Many photos of the original dig can also be viewed in the hotel.’

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a well located hotel, with decent parking and very pleasant staff. The room was well kitted out, but it was a hot night, and the room had no aircon and faced a very busy road, so I didn't get much sleep. We ate in the restaurant in the evening, and that was disappointing, the food was in abundance, but it wasn't great quality. Breakfast the next morning was ok. I would stay there again, because its location is so good for my business, but am unlikely to choose to eat in the restaurant again. Also the wifi was pretty poor, kept dropping out.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room at the rear of the hote, because the road is very busy and very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Denise M,

Thank you for your most recent review. I’m pleased that you would look to stay with us again. However, your comments regarding the evening meal do concern me.

We have recently had a change of team in the kitchen and this disruption may have unfortunately been the cause of the poor quality you experienced during your stay. The changes have now been completed with a New Head chef appointed.

We are launching a new restaurant menu this Friday and I would urge you to try it on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed two nights at the Cumbria. Bed was comfortable and the room was clean and tidy. Breakfast on the first day was a but hectic due to a Coach tour crowd being there and the toaster had problems. On the second day all was smooth and efficient with a more personalised service. Staff were really helpful and allowed me to make a call from their office when there seemed to be problems with making a call from my room. All in all a pleasant stay

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Peter A,

Thank you for your positive review.

As a point to note, following your constructive feedback regarding the toaster we will be looking to purchase another dualit conveyor toaster in order to reduce any waiting times.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Gilsland Spa Hotel, Cumbria, Gilsand, Brampton, Cumbria CA8 7AR. Stayed here July 2013, lovely old-style hotel, fab food, staff and rooms, plenty lounges, huge conservatory, outside seating areas, no AC, bring fans if hot weather! beautiful ballroom, dancing, entertainment, beautiful grounds, 140 acres woodland and views! Countryside setting, went on coach trips everyday to Lake District, Yorkshire, Carlisle, Hexham, Northumbria, etc., this is a relaxing holiday, plenty to see, do, and fun outings, fun, enjoyable evenings....N.B. Would suit over 30's?

Room Tip: Front/East wings have views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo