“Excellent steak!”

Ranked #48 of 364 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: View, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Carlisle's only dedicated Steakhouse all sourced from local farms. We serve our steaks on a volcanic stone ensuring every guest experiences steak cooked to their own standard of perfection. We have also Lakeland lamb, Duck, Fish and even 3 Veggie options all on the hot stones, no cold food here!
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We don't often go out for steak as more often than not it's never as good as you can cook at home, however we were pleasantly surprised with our experience at Pompeii Steak House this weekend!

Three of us ate, two choosing steak and one going for a fish course. It was great to see local produce served for all courses, from scallops to potatoes, steak to ice cream, all was source from local suppliers and it really showed in the quality of the food.

Given I went for a medium-rare bistro fillet and my friend a well-done sirloin, both were cooked perfectly when served and the hot slab certainly kept the food hot all the way through the meal!

Starters, main courses and deserts were all fantastic, and the cheese board was really nice, again the local cheeses, biscuits and chutneys were great!

We'll certainly be back again in the future, we really enjoyed it!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We finally decided to go to Pompeii Steakhouse, after driving past it for about 2 years saying "we should go there sometime". We weren't disappointed.
We ordered the platter so we could try various cuts of meat. We weren't sure whether there would be enough meat for 2, but thought whatever we lacked in main course we could make up for in dessert! When the meat was brought over, the lady serving us explained what each cut was which was interesting to know. There was more than enough meat for the 2 of us and the side portion of chips and veg were very generous too. Being able to cook the steaks ourselves was a fun experience, although the slabs do get cold fairly quickly so it's a good idea to do a batch of the beef at once (or you could ask for another warm slab).
We will definitely return to Pompeii. The staff were attentive without being overbearing, the wine was delicious and the food out of this world.

Thank you for a lovely night.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Recommended by our host and we found it to be an excellent place for a meal. The steak was one of the best we have had. The food and the service were first class and the staff very friendly.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Enjoyed a meal there last night however while I enjoyed the experience of the hot slabs - on this occasion I'm not sure I'd want to have to do that every time I went. I'd like to think when I go to a steak restaurant a lot of what I'm paying for is a chefs ability to cook my steak how I've asked for it and not to be simply presented with a steak to cook myself!!

Don't get me wrong, it was a very different experience and I'd recommend, however not having the option would perhaps make me think twice about rushing back.

The meat was good for sure (after all I cooked it myself) but I tended to find myself eating my veg out of the bowl provided, as opposed to eating the meat, veg and chips off my plate (there was no plate as its a red hot slage slab) so it was a bit of a faff.

I'd certainly say to the owners, have the slabs on the menu as a choice to the customer, because it certainly was a very different experience, but I think a steak restaurant should be backing itself to cook a good steak, as ordered and present it to the customer to enjoy as a showcase as to how good they can cook it - not exclusively a 'cook your own steak' restaurant.......

1  Thank EReedy123
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

What an experience at the Pompeii Steakhouse (Carlisle) last night... DO NOT GO THERE!! We've been before, and the quality has gone very down hill. The picana steak is no longer on the menu. The wine wasn't very good either. We were aware of the hot stones "experience" but asked for our steaks this time to be cooked like normal WITHOUT the hot stones. The waitress said that would be fine and they would cook our steak however we wanted. The Steaks came overdone and ON the hot stones so continued to cook and were well over the medium rare and rare steaks we asked for. Ate a couple of mouthfuls, no good. Asked them to re-do new steaks, they weren't too happy. Not normal customer service, but the waitress did admit she got our orders wrong and thought it was medium and medium rare.

They brought new steaks on plates, without the hot stones but they weren't browned, or properly seared, just an unhealthy looking grey colour. I'd asked for medium rare and it was more like medium well, which was just not right considering we'd sent them back once already. When asked if it was ok I said no and explained but there was initially a load of excuses and no apology (and we were told it was our fault for not accounting for the hot stones even though these were without hot stones!) There was no offer of appeasement.

When we got our bill (with another table's drinks added to it at first) and asked if we could have our wine knocked off the bill as the meal had been disappointing and poor. We were told by the waitresses that they couldn't make that decision as their manager (who wasn't there) would decide. She rang her manager and my fiance and I both spoke to her separately on the phone and tried to explain.

The manager, Julie (and owner) didn't give us a chance to speak, sighed a lot, spoke over us, and accused us of eating 4 steaks and told us we were already getting a "free steak" (having sent it back straight away, it is normal practice for a restaurant to replace a rubbish meal for you without expecting for you to pay!!!!)

We both said if she'd have charged us for 4 steaks we would have walked out in disgust, to which she said she would get the police involved and told us that if we didn't pay the full bill she would call the police anyway and accused us of being thieves and liars!!!!!

Not once did she demonstrate any "good" customer service, patience or even listen to what we had to say. I tried to explain how restaurants work to her, normally, even if she doesn't agree, the customer is always right (and losing a little money on a bill is far better for her than losing a good customer or good reputation). Halfway through my sentence she hung up on me!!!!! The poor waitress was embarrassed and said she is usually unreasonable. (A great way to manage a restaurant! )

We had originally proposed to knock off the £15 bottle of wine (which would have cost her maximum half of that) but as a result of being accused of theft and being liars after an already rubbish meal (after 2 attempts of them cooking it) we elected to pay £40 of a £70 bill, which I regret, and wish we had just walked out!

Any restaurant has a verbal contract with their customers to provide food as it has been asked for. If that food does not arrive as it is supposed to, that contract has been breached and therefore as customers you shouldn't have to pay for it. Just like buying a faulty product in a shop, you shouldn't be expected to pay for it. That manager needs to "gen" up on citizen's rights and learn how to speak to customers! !

AVOID THE POMPEII STEAKHOUSE LIKE THE PLAGUE.... SHOCKING SHOCKING SERVICE! This place has most definitely gone down hill. We have brought a lot of custom here in the past. Will never go again and will cancel future group bookings.

6  Thank Kat9Lives
Julie S, Owner at Pompeii Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

This is the first instance since we opened in which I felt as though the guest was deliberately trying to escape paying properly. I was not present that evening but my staff were so upset they wrote down everything that had happened.
This guest had been before so knew how we cook the steaks, if she did not like this why return?
The printed order clearly shows that both steaks were ordered correctly, the kitchen sent out both steaks accordingly. Half of the steaks were eaten before they were returned.
The Chef very carefully cooked the second set of steaks, These meals were eaten fully along with a full bottle of wine.

I may have sighed when listening to you on the phone, sometimes it is my way of releasing tension. However I tried to be as reasonable as possible. It was difficult.

The contract between a restaurant and guest is for mutual support. As a restaurant it is our duty to give the meal ordered, if wrong it is our duty to rectify it as much as possible. As stated above this was done. You did eat the whole of your second meal.

As a guest we expect you to respect the staff and other guests. Also to pay properly for your meal and wine.