“An enjoyable visit”

Solway Aviation Museum
Ranked #3 of 48 things to do in Carlisle
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum is open from Easter until the last weekend in October on a Friday & Saturday. We are also open on the Bank Holiday Mondays. We have some exciting new exhibits demonstrating the close ties that existed between the RAF and the City of Carlisle. We're also home to a collection of aircraft, aviation artifact's and displays some reflecting Britain's position as a world leader in aircraft design and innovation and the main developer and manufacturer of a reliable jet engine. The museum's primary objective is the preservation of our Aviation heritage, its display and interpretation. Take a nostalgic journey back to Wartime Cumberland or climb aboard a Vulcan Bomber and experience the conditions the crew faced that would have had to deliver Britain's nuclear deterrent in the 60's. The museum is a Registered Charity and is run by a dedicated team of friendly and enthusiastic volunteers who give up their free time to painstakingly restore many of the exhibits. Through their love and knowledge they are preserving aviation history for generations to come.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I visited the aviation museum and I must say we both enjoyed the experience.
We had a good look at all the exibits which were very good.
The staff were very polite and the guide who took us into the cockpit of the huge Vulcan Bomber was great at answering any questions anyone had.
Entry is reasonable at £5 each.
You can have some refreshments at the museum, tea , coffee but not a lot else.
Could do a little bit better there.
There is a cafe not far from the Vulcan bomber not attatched to the museum where you can get something to eat though we didn't venture over.
If you are in the area it is worthy of visit.

Keiran F, Manager at Solway Aviation Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us and on behalf of the volunteers, we would like to thank you for taking the time to visit our museum. We have taken your comments on board about refreshments and we do make as many improvements as possible every year. I will bring this up at our next management meeting and we will hopefully be able to offer more soon. Please tell your friends and family about us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Small, somewhat shabby, but with a great vulcan bomber and very enthusiastic staff.
Supported by visitor admission and donations, so don't expect the fleet air arm museum.
Any and all questions answered knowledgeably.

1  Thank JumboSlim
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I spent a couple of hours here and it has a fascinating collection of aircraft and the technology that goes with them. The staff, all volunteers, were very friendly. It has parking space and refreshments. The collection of aircraft outside were great to walk around and I never thought for one minute I'd ever sit in the pilot's seat of a Vulcan bomber! Made even more enjoyable by a very knowledgeable guide who gave a great explanation of the bomber's role in it's service. A very enjoyable visit and certainly the best five pounds I've spent in years of visiting museums. I don't get up that way often but if I do I'll visit again. Well done!

1  Thank Ross W
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great staff very friendly and welcoming lots too see and learn about our past aviation history and Rocket testing at Spadeadam was something I've never come across before very interesting...

The high light for me was access to the Avro Vulcan seen lots of static examples at other Air museums but this is the first to allow unrestricted access to the aircrafts cockpit fantastic....

The Royal Navy Sea Prince was also of interest because this particular aircraft was in service when I was working in Air Traffic Control at RNAS Lossiemouth 1968/69...

2  Thank Frank S
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Excellent little museum. Best thing about it is the friendly volunteers, who are welcoming, informative and make it a great place to go. The fact you get to sit in the cockpit of a Vulcan is worth the admission fee alone! Stopped off on the way back from the lakes and spent an hour and a half there but you could spend longer. Definitely worth a visit

2  Thank Pc197