“shocking”
Review of Metal Bridge Inn

Metal Bridge Inn
Ranked #94 of 365 Restaurants in Carlisle
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Recently reopened after many years out of service. Overlooks River Esk adjacent to the M74, but not likely to be too easily found by people who are unaware of the road parallel to the motorway, which can only be accessed from Gretna to the north or Carlisle to the south. Nevertheless, an excellent, sensibly-priced eatery, and the enterprise of those who've restored it to service deserves to be rewarded with success.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

called in for a lunch on my way home today .will definatly not be returning .we ordered from snack menu ,and our son ordered a kids meal .after nearly an hour the food came .our chicken cheese melts contained no cheese .?our sons pizza was infact half a baggete with cheese on top?our melts were taken away to add the cheese and returned after our son had eaten.we said just forget it.and left ...this is our second bad experience at the metal bridge after a very poor meal on the christmas menu .previous to this we had been many times and always enjoyed the food .not sure what has happened but its a recipie for disaster.there were other customers complaining thisafternoon also.felt sorry for the young lady behind the bar .hope they sort themselves out or they will not survive 2014

3  Thank Sara M

Reviewed 30 December 2013

When I walked into the restaurant I was greeted rather rudely. "You can't sit there, you can't sit there so you'll have to sit there" I felt like I was seated in third class the way she pointed this out. I received no polite welcome- very unprofessional! After being seated we were not asked what we wanted to drink until a few minutes later when we were given the menus. I would have preferred it if the prices were on the menu. I played it safe with a jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise; it wasn't too bad but I left the salad because it looked dirty. I had a hot chocolate fudge cake for desert- though hot it was not. The bowl was also cold. The waitress did not ask if our meals were okay at any point despite the fact that the place was not busy. All in all, there was not a nice ambiance in the restaurant- especially since the kitchen door would not close properly therefore we could hear the loud, distracting, music coming from the kitchen.

2  Thank Jack W
Reviewed 30 December 2013

After being recommended to the Metal Bridge by a member of family we decided to visit the Metal Bridge. We wish we never!! When we arrived we were greeted to what I presume was the 3rd class seating as the waitress listed all of the places we could not sit because we had 6 people and had not reserved. When we dealt with the waitress she was very unprofessional. I had the Chicken Curry, the curry was okay but the rice had been over cooked and they were small portions. The fudge cake was very disappointing, it was served with too much cream and was cold. There was very little chocolate sauce that was on it so it was very dry. We were sitting near to the kitchen door which would not close properly so we were subjected to listen to the music that was blaring from the kitchen.

4  Thank Adam W
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Just returned from yet another yummy meal at the Metal Bridge, today the chef's special was just that. The crispest, tastiest batter I have ever tasted, big pieces of chicken fabulous chips, and a dessert to die for! It amazes me how this establishment can serve such superb food, on a lunch time special. Bonus is nothing is too much trouble, the staff are superb .... keep it up, you are not only the best value eatery in the area but take pride in your food. Anybody travelling north this holiday season take a turn off the motorway, it is well worth it, you will not be disappointed. Oh, and for the non locals fantastic river views whilst you dine, it is hard to believe you are sitting next to a motorway!

2  Thank Tracey C
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Poor service,bit of a wait for service,had to get the Menus ourselves and go to the bar for drinks,order taker did not show any interest in drinks or asking if we wanted more.
Prawn Cocktail came with a brown bread crust,when asked that's all they had.
Main meal Pork fillets was good.Chips were superb.Husband had Salmon which was pleasant,gently flavoured.Rhubarb crumble was excellent.trifle also nice.