“Dont trust Ibis and watch the small print”
Review of Ibis Carlisle

Ibis Carlisle
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Dont trust Ibis and watch the small print”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Really disgusted at Ibis…… booked 3 rooms for 4 nights with breakfast online…. Within the hours guys staying said they did not want breakfast, couldn’t find how to modify booking so cancelled booking and rebooked straight away without the breakfasts…. Now find that they took the payment twice and will not refund… small print says that cancellations will not be refunded…. Really underhand IMO… so beware of the small print and forget fair play at the Ibis brand… my error cost me £530…. Dodgy ethics IMO… Oh and the 3rd floor room smelt of drains, they haven’t replied to my email on that.

Room Tip: Watch the small print...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex M
Rahul P, General Manager at Ibis Carlisle, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
We have responded to you directly via email. Hope the response was to your satisfactory.

Thanking

Rahul Parikh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Thai first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I must admit that I do tend to find Ibis a good budget change. Carlisle is no exception.

VALUE: The value is excellent and the new breakfast range (unlimited hot & cold buffet) is good although, like a good many other hotels, the scrambled egg tends to be a little rubbery.

BEDROOMS: The beds are very comfortable and clean although the bathroom (Tardis) takes a little getting used to and any noise is amplified...

STAFF: They are very thoughtful. We were travelling to the Commonwealth Games and so they gave us quiet rooms since they knew we'd have long days (without us having to ask). When we looked for something at breakfast they would ask what we wanted (again without us having to ask) and would deal with our request straight away.

NIGGLES: We didn't have any shampoo dispenser in our bathroom (others did), the maid removed all of our used soaps on Day 2 but didn't replace them with new ones and the bedroom carpets look very stained, although I think that this has more to do with the pattern (or maybe it attracts stains).

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:
CAR PARK: Parking can be a little difficult to locate. It is free (as long as you log on to a screen on a daily basis) but you have to pay if you stay there after 11:00 am although, of course, you don't have to check out until noon.
BREAKFAST AREA: People walk through this area, to reach the car park, whilst you are eating. The layout is very efficient for staffing but takes a little getting used to.
LITTLE THINGS: There are no milk jugs so you need to use a cup to obtain milk for tea at breakfast.
BINS: There's only 1 bin in the bedroom (in the bathroom).
TOWELS: Only 1 towel supplied per person i.e. no hand towels.

SUMMARY: Yes I'd use this hotel again and I'd certainly use the chain again but maybe I'd ask for shampoo and replacement soap next time if I wasn't so tired.

1 Thank Philip_Marsh
Dear Valued Customer, thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the the Hotel Ibis in Carlsle. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed five nights, recently, in order to get to The Commonwealth Games (with tickets for Fri and Mon) and to do some sight-seeing in the North/Scotland, in between. The front of house staff were so friendly, helpful and deserve a huge thank-you (and yet they also maintain a professional stance) - nothing was too much trouble and great advice re where to go, etc. The prices were very good, too - rooms cheap, parking free and breakfast at only £7.95 pp (half this price for child, or for an early breakfast, ie continental style) and there was lots to select from - all at a good standard. The drinks cost less than in most restaurants and there was a sufficient menu (with food available 24hrs) - and we absolutely loved the Thai curry (served on a banana leaf)! The beds were comfy - hard, but with thick feather toppers, squidgy duvets and pillows. The air-con worked well and was easy to control for an optimum temperature. Bathroom worked well, a pod-style, kind of unusual! Full length mirror and adequate sockets (although one closer to the mirror, to use the provided hairdryer, would have been easier for me!). A wardrobe space with shelves and hanging. All great! The carpets maybe could do with a deep clean sometime in the near future, I would agree with someone else on this minor fact.There was some noise from the outside drinking/club/bingo venues - just turn on the air-con and it drowns it out, however! Housekeeping need to add an extra towel when there are three to a room, when they service the bedrooms (two adults and one child for us), but front of house were happy oblige to another towel any time they were asked (in fact they were quick to address any question or query - they were really nice people - Jo, Sheila and also a young fair-haired guy, whose name I didn't get, should be commended for their ability to 'welcome with a smile' every time we spoke to them. The hotel is walking distance to lots of eateries, the town centre (shops galore!), railway station, etc. We went for a drive to Keswick (in The Lakes) on Saturday and to Gretna (Outlet/Blacksmiths) Sunday - so a good location to start from. Well done Ibis, we would stay again if we had reason to travel so far again in that direction!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Valued Customer, thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Gnosall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had booked in for just one night. We had stopped before in an Ibis hotel and hadn't liked the hard beds at all, but thought maybe it was just that one hotel and we should give it another go. First impressions were good, really friendly staff let us leave our bags while we went for a wander around the town, then came back to book in. The room was really clean and the tardis type bathroom was really cool. At about 6pm we noticed a bit of noise from the street outside, there seemed to be a bar /club at the back of us, but didn't pay much attention, at 9pm it started getting louder and at midnight it was a positive roar...... at 3 am I couldn't take much more and rang reception. There was nothing they could do, the hotel was full and we couldn't change rooms and even if we had....I still don't think I would have slept, the beds are awful, I felt like an old woman, my back and hips were in agony. At 5.30 am the noise disappeared !!! I did say to the receptionist in the morning who was apologetic but I understood, there was nothing she could do about either of my complaints. So... sorry Ibis Carlise, your staff are lovely but your hotel position and choice of beds are not good at all, back to Premier Inn for us.

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank CarolMartin444
Dear Valued Customer, I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact the hotel if you do decide to stay with us agan, and ask for a room facing the car park, as we do find these can be quieter.

Dublin
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel rooms and facilities are kept clean and tidy. Room was of good enough size and although the rooms appear a little old they are well maintained (although the carpets could be doing with some work).

Bathrooms were well maintained and clean. Shower was hot and powerful.

Real down side is that due to location the rooms could be noisy due to pubs/bingo/nightclubs closing.
I guess some rooms may be quieter (those at the rear/right of the building) but those at front left/rear left were loud at times.

Staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Rear right rooms may be quieter. Keep the air con on as the constant hum of the air con is better t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank km991148
Dear Valued Customer, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

stoke on trent
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here overnight for our daughters graduation ceremony at Carlisle University. The room was fine, clean and spacious and good value for money. There is a free car park at the rear of the hotel and the hotel is located near the centre of carlisle within easy walking distance of the cathedral and train station. The plastic bathroom was unique, the first time I have seen one, but a good size. in particular the shower was large. All the staff were friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: Avoid room 241 / 242 as it overlooks the night club next door and the public can be noisy when drink...
1 Thank star_watcher_12
Dear Valued Customer, thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.