“Pretty much OK... though didn't try the buffet”
Review of IndiaGate - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Buffet-style contemporary curry-house
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I always seem to end up in Carlisle on a Monday night. Carlisle doesn't seem to really do eating out on Monday nights, and the sleet probably didn't help. Almost all of the restaurants near to my hotel (the Hallmark, near to the station) were either closed or empty.
The Indiagate was open and empty which was obviously a step in the right direction. I have to say that I don't really recognise the restaurant from the other reviews here; the biggest difference is that on Mondays, or the Monday I visited at least, it's not a buffet. Presumably all is cooked to order. I would have steered well clear if it had been a buffet... buffets in empty restaurants are unlikely to be good news - one of the reasons why I avoided the Chinese across the road. But I digress.
The food was OK: started with prawn puri, which was reasonable although the puri was a bit stodgy and the whole thing was a bit dry. My main was lamb tikka jalfrezi, which was quite a bit hotter than I expected, which was welcome. The lamb itself wasn't great quality, think it was mutton in reality, some gristle but it had a good flavour all the same. The rice was fine, as was the pint of Kingfisher.
Through all of this I was the only customer, so service was fast. I found the staff to be friendly enough.
Total price was about £16. Not bad for what I had, I would just avoid going anywhere in Carlisle on a Monday night...

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Really good Indian buffet restaurant in a fab location. Great selection, authentic dishes, would go back time and time again!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I went to the Indiagate more out of desparation than anything. My stay on a Monday night, and the 200 seater restaurant was almost deserted. I was seated by the window, no doubt to try to create the illusion the place was busy. There were 6 other people in the restaurant at the time I ate. The cost was fine for what was offered, however I suspect that the low number of patrons was a reflection of the quality as well as the day of the week. The variety was disappointing, some of it was inedible, the chips were usual cheap offering served in such venues and looked like they had come from a school earlier in the day. The rice was dry and horrible. The meat was of poor quality. The whole affair was tired and much of it was cool if not cold. The thousand folded napkins for imaginary patrons was impressive though somewhat of a waste of manpower. I reluctantly ordered a Kingfisher beer which I normally find to be very good and found it to be flat and although I could have eaten whatever I wanted I ate one plateful only where I would usually have had several visits to try the whole range.I did not insult my stomach with the stale looking desserts. The music was excellent and proved to be the highlight of my visit, I would buy this on CD. I only drank a quarter of the beer, and feeling bloated and disappointed I paid and left. I am a weekly visitor to Carlisle and will not be returning. By the way the large crack in the front window needs attention as this is a health and safety issue. The greeter was doing his best but was the only person in the building with a smile.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Read other reviews but went with open mind. Shown to table, drinks order taken and lay out of buffet explained. Starters acceptable but no meat left in 2 of the main dishes and none of the food was hot. Deserts consisted of 1 scoop of ice cream, carrot cake or dried up fresh fruit salad, no cream or squirty cream left. The 2 people who had the lamb curries had upset stomachs which started during the night and lasted all next day. There was no ambience in the restaurant and it was not particularly warm.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

great service, friendly helpfull staff, goodselection of buffet food including vegetarian all tasty and morish the house Chardonay was very good so much so that we ordered a second bottle.

1  Thank allisonbutts