“Simply the best”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Buffet-style contemporary curry-house
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Looking around Carlisle for an eating place, we were not inspired by the external appearance of 'Indiagate' but were attracted by the early evening menu which offered four courses (actually three) and a small glass of wine (or a soft drink) for under a tenner.

Neither was the inside of the place inspirational; the best was definitely yet to come!

I have eaten a few hundred Indian meals during my 69 years, but this was quite simply and unequivocally THE BEST EVER.

Friendly service too; my wife and I were very pleased with our choice and despite it's lacklustre appearance have no reservations about giving 'Indiagate' five stars, just for the food. After all, good food is what it's all about!

This is definitely the place to try in Carlisle!

There are newer reviews for IndiaGate

Reviewed 29 March 2013

me and a few friends went to eat here. saw a poster outside with a 4 course meal sign which made us check it out. we had papadoms and got to choose any starter and any main meal from the menu and a rice or a nan and got a drink all for £9.95. thought the food was excellent and tasted amazing. i had a curry from another restaurant which was £7.95 just for the main meal and the food from indiagate tasted a lot better. the service was good and the staff were friendly. We all had a good night. i would recommend this place to others.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Cavernous place, few customers when we visited, Saturday night.
Helpful service, food very good standard. Nan a bit over cooked, should be fluffy not hard. Very generous balti chicken, god flavour, not served in original pot (as in Birnmingham) but in bowl. Draught Kingfisher £3.45 pint.
Not to be missed.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I always seem to end up in Carlisle on a Monday night. Carlisle doesn't seem to really do eating out on Monday nights, and the sleet probably didn't help. Almost all of the restaurants near to my hotel (the Hallmark, near to the station) were either closed or empty.
The Indiagate was open and empty which was obviously a step in the right direction. I have to say that I don't really recognise the restaurant from the other reviews here; the biggest difference is that on Mondays, or the Monday I visited at least, it's not a buffet. Presumably all is cooked to order. I would have steered well clear if it had been a buffet... buffets in empty restaurants are unlikely to be good news - one of the reasons why I avoided the Chinese across the road. But I digress.
The food was OK: started with prawn puri, which was reasonable although the puri was a bit stodgy and the whole thing was a bit dry. My main was lamb tikka jalfrezi, which was quite a bit hotter than I expected, which was welcome. The lamb itself wasn't great quality, think it was mutton in reality, some gristle but it had a good flavour all the same. The rice was fine, as was the pint of Kingfisher.
Through all of this I was the only customer, so service was fast. I found the staff to be friendly enough.
Total price was about £16. Not bad for what I had, I would just avoid going anywhere in Carlisle on a Monday night...

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Really good Indian buffet restaurant in a fab location. Great selection, authentic dishes, would go back time and time again!