“Dirty and messy”

Houghton Hall Garden Centre
Ranked #1 of 9 Shopping in Carlisle
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a nice place to wander around the gifts. We often buy plants from here and they always do well. What they don't do well is the restaurant. I have visited at many different times and on different days and it is always looking filthy around the seating area. The tables are usually littered and if they are cleared don't seem to have been wiped. If that's how they look after the front of house what on earth is the kitchen area like?

2  Thank debsy42_10

Reviewed 16 April 2014

They had sent out half price tea offers between 2.30 - 4.00 p.m. By the time we arrived at 3.00 p.m. the teas had all sold out; there was just a blackboard sign outside the tearooms to this effect. There were a lot of people reading this sign who were equally disappointed. Bad mis-management Houghton Hall.

4  Thank Pauline S
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Forget the service stations. This is a fantastic stop at Junction 44 of the M6. Only 1 1/2 miles from the junction. We use this on regular basis now when travelling. Huge garden centre with beautiful eatery and toilets. Staff could not do more for us £6.15 for breakfast including tea/coffee and large slices of toasted bloomer bread.

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Nice garden centre with a great range of plants and gardening equipment. Pet area and 2 eating areas. Food is as good as any other garden centre and there is a play area outside for children.

1  Thank Animalmad1311
Reviewed 10 March 2014

From a man’s perspective I often wonder why so many people flock to garden centres. Are so called ‘Garden Centres’ actually garden centres or are they department stores which happen to sell plants and supply meals?
My excuse for visiting Houghton Hall was that it had a restaurant and supplied food in what I hoped would be a more pleasant environment than a motorway service area and without the ‘rip off’ prices for substandard food that many of the service areas charge. I saw from the map that it is located only a couple of minutes from the M6 at Carlisle; hardly further than the length of a motorway service approach road.
We weren’t disappointed, the food was much better than most service areas with a choice of full meals, snacks, both hot and cold, and at prices well below motorway prices.
After out meal we had a look around. They stock a good variety of plants and garden sundries at what I thought were very reasonable prices when compared to the national garden centre chains.
They also sold outdoor clothing, a large range of food, home wares, pet and wild bird supplies and a variety of gifts.
When we paid for our goods the checkout operator actually smiled and spoke to us. Now that doesn’t happen very often!
If I lived in the area then Houghton hall would be my garden centre of choice. As things stand I’ll have to settle for having a lunch break and a browse before returning to the motorway to continue my journey.

2  Thank seenitdunit