“Busy Carlisle cafe bar (family friendly)”
Review of Thirsty One - CLOSED

Thirsty One
Price range: US$6 - US$7
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Located in Carlisle's historic core, Thirsty One is a Licensed Cafe Bar serving fresh homemade food daily. We also have a selection of drinks to quench your thirst from a hot coffee or a cold beer to a fruit juice served in a frosted glass. Opposite the Cathedral, on the same street as Tullie House Museum and with a view of the Castle from our outdoor seating, Thirsty One is ideally located for tourists and locals enjoying the most tranquil area of our Great Border City. Expect: Value for money, Local Produce, Great Coffee, Homemade Fresh Food, Tasty Cocktails, Relaxed Atmosphere, Excellent Customer Service, Food & Drink Deals, Outdoor Seating, Child Friendly, Local Tourism Knowledge & Good Music!!! But don't take our word for it, come and check out Thirsty One for yourself!!!
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“Busy Carlisle cafe bar (family friendly)”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We really like it here and it is invariably full or fairly busy on a weekend lunch time (when we would most likely visit if in Carlisle). The food is reasonably priced, the menu varied and it is family/child friendly. The menu caters perfectly for both our fussy child and our more adventurous one. The sign of a good place to us is if the staff are willing to do their best and where possible adapt things on the menu to suit individuals. They do things like panninis, nachos and various ever changing specials.

I can't understand some of the negative reviews on here particularly about the staff. On a negative note I agree with one reviewer that the coffee here is nothing to write home about unlike 'Whytes' and this definitely could be improved upon so we avoid this. But overall we have never had a problem here, all the staff have always been lovely to us but then we are polite, friendly and our children are usually well mannered and well behaved in public (most of the time).

• Visited March 2014

Penrith, United Kingdom
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've visited here on number of occasions now and couldn't fault it in anyway. Every time I visit Carlisle I visit this gem of a café.
The menu is 'right up my street' and generous portion sizes. And the fact they serve Vimto, tops it off for me!
I recently visited here with my other half, who can be a fussy eater but we both chose to have Panini's and ordered a side order of nachos, which came with sour cream, guacamole, salsa and beans, highly recommended!! My other half loved it and will definitely be back!
Oh and not to forget, very reasonably priced.

• Visited April 2014
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Average lunch, terrible service and cold atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I visited this cafe last week with my partner and our young son. I enjoyed my baguette yet the menu was rather average. I could have looked past this and enjoyed our family lunch had the staff not been so rude. The waitress who served us had an awful attitude and even rolled her eyes when my partner queried some ingredients due to his nut allergy. Furthermore, once our food was delivered, we recieved no extra service, and could hear the waitresses gossiping behind the glass panel into the bar for our entire visit instead. Shame they couldn't have been respectful and attentive- manners don't cost!

• Visited April 2014
“Excellent lunch!”
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice lunch here. Ciabatta and paninis are fantastic home made chips and home made coleslaw both very tasty too plus the value is exceptional. Service quick and curtious will definitely come back for lunch again

“A gem of a place.”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I recently gave a review speaking very highly of Thirsty One but for some reason it has not posted.
The reason for this review is to make sure that this is rectified.
Great food. Try the chips. Great service with smiles. A unique menu that is very pleasing. I can't fault this place & look forward to many more visits alone & with my family.

• Visited November 2013