String of Horses Inn
US$87
US$85
US$52
Travelodge
Cumbria Park Hotel(Carlisle)(Great Value!)
US$55
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
Arkale Lodge(Carlisle)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
All reviewsjacuzzi bathquiet villagethe pubboth nightslarge portionshadrian's wallhuge bathroomlanercost prioryshort breaknight breaktalkin tarnlake districtfull englishfour postersuperior roomlovely atmospherelamb
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were a party of 6 - when booked it was my husband and I, our daughter and son in law and our son and daughter in law. We had booked for Carlisle races and were originally looking for something close to the race course. Although we didn't realise at the time it was fortunate for us we could not find availability anywhere close by and found this gem of an hotel a little further out that had (according to booking.com) 3 rooms available and we booked them. Colin called the next day to say there had been an error and he only had 2 rooms but he had found a double room at another hotel a couple of miles away if that would do for us. We agreed to this and were grateful to him for his efforts. However nearer the time he found he had a cancellation and got in touch with me immediately to let me know so we were all able to stay in the String of Horses together. Thank you Colin for remembering our original booking - this was really appreciated.

Onto our stay - it was for only one night but this is a lovely, lovely property with an immense amount of charm. The bedrooms are beautifully furnished with big bathrooms and Colin cannot do enough for you. The breakfast was superb too. We did not eat dinner at the hotel because we were at the races at that time but I'm sure we missed a treat.

We will never even attempt to look for a different hotel in the Carlisle / Brampton area in future, no matter how near to the racecourse. This will be our first choice always. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I visited here for 2 nights and had a lovely stay. The hotel is very authentic outside and in but the upstairs has been modernised to. Suit today's traveller. Clean light, with good sized bathrooms and modern furniture, flat screen tv and very reliable wifi throughout free. Colin and his staff are very welcoming and available for anything you may need. Food very good with a wide choice with large portions. We stayed in room 1. I have no idea where the critics stayed but it certainly wasn't here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had my second visit to this little gem of a hideaway.
Top marks to Colin , his wfe and staff who made my stay very enjoyable.
Colins wfe is also the Chef and I must say the meals were outstanding.
My wife and I visited various places including Hexham, Bampton, Solway Aviation Museum, Lanercost Abby,Vindolanda Roman Fort Ruins and Hadrians wall in our 2 day break.
I Recommend anyone to pay a visit here if if you fancy exploring around Cumbria.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a Jaccuzi in the room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

First of all, I find it quite sad to see such bad reviews, and so recent. I booked this through a deal site so got it cheaper but this did not impede our treatment.
I stayed here for three nights on 10th, 11th and 12th June for mine and my partners anniversary. We travelled from Bournemouth and were knackered after the six/seven hour drive but were welcomed with a warm smile and were given our key straight away and went to our room which was cosy and clean.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was good and we were given our free Pimm's which was included in our deal. The owners were friendly and gave us advice as to local attractions and how to find them.
Breakfast was fab, three slices of toast each, full English or fruit, yoghurt and cereal with tea, coffee and juices.
My only advice is that you must be willing to travel a while to do much, unless you're up for a hike (which we were). Hadrian's wall, the lake district, and other lovely attractions are less than an hour away by car, probably a lot less but we were enjoying the scenery and took long ways around.
Overall, I rate this place highly. It's tucked out of the way, is quaint and pretty. Our shower had a blip one night but this was looked at straight away and we had no more problems after that.
Thank you for a lovely stay and making our 5 year anniversary special :)

Room Tip: We had the room tucked at the end of the right hand corridor so had the least amount of neighbours which was lovely and peaceful :)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WorldFoodie32
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The warm and friendly greeting we received on arrival from Colin set the tone of our visit to the String of Horses. Our room, No5 was to the rear of the Hotel was light , bright, large and well equipped, with an equally large en-suite. In particular, the bed was very comfortable with pillows that suited or needs. At breakfast there was a good selection of both hot and cold food. The full English being superb. The dinner menu gave plenty of choice and we both enjoyed different meals. The bar staff were bright and cheerful, and we look forward to a return visit when we are next in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple