“Hidden Gem”
Review of Dalston Hall Hotel

Dalston Hall Hotel
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed at this hotel/castle during April for 1 night and was treated like a King. Fantastic service by all concerned and the owner himself was there to assist with any issues. The room was huge and furnished to a very high standard. Although I did not eat the evening meal at the hotel I did take breakfast and it was one of the best I've had in any hotel in the UK.

This is certainily a hotel that I will be using again in my trips to the Carlisle area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank iron0710

Reviewed 28 April 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in Dalston Hall last week while working in Carlisle for 5 days.

I booked 4 nights from Monday through to Friday. Although situated a couple of miles outside the city, the location is excellent and only took 10 mins to get to work every day.

The hotel is set off road and is easy to find, the grounds of the hotel are beautiful with fantastic lawns which are extremely well kept.

Inside, the decor is superb with a real old fashioned feel to it, a must for any visitor who wants to sample the atmosphere of a country hotel.

The room I was in was massive with large modern tv, couch and 4 poster bed. The room was cleaned every day to an excellent standard.

Anyone who stays here MUST try the food, I ate breakfast and dinner every day I was there and could not find fault in one single meal.The evening meals were absolutely outstanding, with a great choice to suit all.

The steak was one of the best I have ever eaten and would thououghly recommend it. I dont think I can praise the food enough.... try it you wont be dissapointed.

The staff in the hotel are extremely friendly, keen to make conversation and nothing is to much of an issue. You can order food from the bar and once ready they carry your drinks through to the restaurant for you, a nice touch I thought.

The owner is a lovely guy and takes time out to join you for a chat and spend time with his customers.

All in a fantastic hotel and well worth a visit if your in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paulbhoy
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review because I feel this hotel doesn't get the recognition it deserves , the hotel only has 13 rooms as space hasn't been sacrificed in order to make more profit . A big plus to me :) the owners are very pleasant and approachable and can not do enough for you . The steak I was served was one of the best I have ever had ! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dalston hall to anyone. I will be booking another stay there myself, so thanks again to all at dalston hall for making us feel so welcome . All the best. Ian

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ian r
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed here for a short Easter trip. The staff were lovely and very friendly, the room was extremely clean and the views of the grounds were beautiful. We had a meal at the hotel and really enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we felt comfortable wondering around and exploring! We had a small problem with the water tank in the toilet keep refilling, we told them at breakfast and by the time we had eaten and got back to our room it was sorted out! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from a 2 night stay at Dalston Hall and we won't be returning and would not recommend, highly overpriced and customer service is appauling, rooms tired and neglected.

We travel around quite alot and have wrote reviews on other hotels and we are by no means a picky couple and don't rate or review hotels based on the weather or the car park like some people do. We're not fussy and generally dont go with a view of perfectionism however this place was a joke.

From our point of view this hotel is not worth the money they charge, we paid £290 for 2 nights in a suppose to be Deluxe room and it was far from deluxe, we would have had better quality in a Travelodge of Premier Inn for half the price. Reasons below.

On check in we were not offered any help with our bags or if we would like showing to our room, we weren't told any information on breakfast times or dinner times, not asked if we would like further information on anything, basically just given our key and told where our room was.

There is NEVER anyone on reception, my partner had to ring the bell several times before getting anyone to appear and took 20 minutes each time.

Breakfast is tried to be charged at £15 per person per morning, thats £60 for 2 breakfasts??

We were asked if we would like dinner, we said that we would think about it and let them know later in the day, we were told we better hurry and make a decision as it would be very busy and we may not get a table, on both nights the restaurant was empty so they had no prior bookings so could have just let us take our time to decide rather than trying to force us to make a decision and grab more money off us.

Room service is charge at £5.00 PER PERSON, thats £10.00 to deliver food to your door, it is litterally a 1 minute walk to our room from the kitchen.

The grounds arent really grounds, just grass with some walls, although it is well kept its hardly as its described on their website espeically with the Nestle factory and crane within every view point.

The room itself was dark and tired, (pictures have been uploaded). With the rates they are charging it would be very easy to update the room with a lick of paint and new furniture. The bed creaked every time we turned over in the night constantly waking each other up, the plug in the bath was broke, the furniture itself was marked and warn and the carpet stained and tired. Lampshades dusty and tired looking and the wardrobe is just a joke, 2 white doors with hangers that dont even fit in straight with a manky old ironing board thrown in it.

In all the hotel felt very unloved and deserted and you're just left feeling like you're on your own in the place, I think we saw 3 peple there throughout our stay and that included staff. No one was ever on the bar or reception and upon trying to ring via our room phone no one ever answered.

The lounge area and dining area for events is lovely and well kept in terms of decor so I dare say for a wedding or function it would be good, however as a hotel it just doesnt tick any boxes at all and they need to start spending all this money they are charging people to update the £150 p/night rooms they are charging for and get some staff training to start giving value for money.

As said at the start we are no means picky people and we except that no where is perfect and you can't please everyone however I had to write this review to pre-warn anyone just booking Dalston Hall as a hotel to think twice and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank ChrisnJess12
Reviewed 1 April 2013

What a truely magical place! Our daughter's wedding was here last December and what a fantastic day it was. From first booking the wedding to the actual day, everything was so well organised and nothing too much trouble for management and staff. The Great Hall was beautiful for the ceremony, with candles and fire lit and Chrismas decorations looking superb. The Hall was then turned around for the wedding breaking and it looked absolutely stunning and the food and service was second to none.

We had a day to remember, partying into the early hours. Stayed overnight and again the quality of the bedrooms could not be faulted.

What a day, what a venue and what an experience.

Thank you all so very much.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We booked Dalston hall for our wedding anniversary and had a really pleasant stay.
We arrived rather early and were not so well greeted as there seemed to be no staff around.
However, our room was ready and we were able to check in straight away.
We stayed in room 3 which is well appointed with a super king sized bed.
The bathroom is modern and the rooms are nice and clean.
We had a great nights sleep.
The hotel is quite historic and the grounds are very scenic. Everywhere is well maintained and the staff are polite.
There is a nice choice of breakfast and it tasted good!

We would definitely return again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple