“Full of character and very friendly staff”
Review of Dalston Hall Hotel

Dalston Hall Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here for one night in May 2013. It was quite late in the evening until we arrived.
We were checked in by the owner, who didn't give us the most friendly welcome but was very efficient. When he served us drinks in the bar later he had lightened up a bit and was quite cordial.

Our room (7, I think) was lovely. It had a four-poster bed with a comfortable mattress. The building itself is very interesting and it has been sympathetically converted into a hotel - you certainly feel like you are in a very old building and not a modern hotel room. The room had a nice layout with the room sort of divided into two areas - one with the bed and one with a small sofa, dressing table, TV, etc. The windows are beautiful - no modern double glazing in sight. Very heavy curtains would keep out any draft. My only complaint about the room was that the bathroom was a little dated and not very well laid out - there was a shelf right above the sink which got in the way when trying to wash my face. Everything was very clean, however.

Our meal in the restaurant was very good. I had scallops (ever so slightly over-done) with black pudding and cauliflower puree and my husband had pate. The fillet steaks were excellent. Perfectly cooked and there was a good selection of sauces and side orders. The two members of staff who served our food and drinks were excellent. Very attentive and friendly. I overheard them giving plenty of advice to foreign guests who were looking for tips on the area. The staff could not be faulted.

Breakfast was also excellent.

I would recommend Dalston Hall, and would certainly stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TownheadHaze

Reviewed 13 May 2013

stayed here for one night on a saturday and first impressions are good when you approach you see and old building with a tower and stone mullion windows - the entrance door is big and old then inside there is an iron yett (metal gate) as part of the original old tower.

the main hall is lovely with wood paneling and a balcony and was set out for a wedding

reception was quick and efficient and we were given our key to room 13

the room is not what you expect - sort of modern with some eclectic pieces of furniture - all good quality but not what we wanted or expected

we changed to room 11 which was more in keeping with a historic building with a 4 poster bed and dark furniture (except for the unusual leather chair)

everything was very clean and mostly in good condition but there are no curtains - just blinds
the view looks out onto the roof and if anyone is working on the roof outside they can see in - even the bathroom!

the staff are all pleasant and polite

the restaurant looks nice apart from an unusual large chair at the side - seemed completely out of place

lots of black - tablecloths , napkins and staff attire

the food was very nice - tasty , cooked well and presented well

one problem - we ordered the house champagne as it was my birthday and we were served sparkling wine ???

we only realised this after it had been opened and we tasted it

when we ordered the champagne the staff member said the name of drink which we assumed was the name of the champagne as there are so many and when we asked about it afterwards we were told that we were offered this drink and we said yes - yes we did we thought it was the name of a champagne as that is what we asked for - NOT sparkiling wine (i know it is made in the same way but it is not the same drink)

the grounds outside are nice to walk around but it would be nicer if they were maintained better as this is classed as a 4 star hotel

overall we mostly enjoyed our stay but at £135 per room for one night there are better hotels and cheaper even old hotels with character

Room Tip: room 13 is more modern and contempary in design so if you like "ode worlde" appeal chose a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed at this hotel/castle during April for 1 night and was treated like a King. Fantastic service by all concerned and the owner himself was there to assist with any issues. The room was huge and furnished to a very high standard. Although I did not eat the evening meal at the hotel I did take breakfast and it was one of the best I've had in any hotel in the UK.

This is certainily a hotel that I will be using again in my trips to the Carlisle area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank iron0710
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in Dalston Hall last week while working in Carlisle for 5 days.

I booked 4 nights from Monday through to Friday. Although situated a couple of miles outside the city, the location is excellent and only took 10 mins to get to work every day.

The hotel is set off road and is easy to find, the grounds of the hotel are beautiful with fantastic lawns which are extremely well kept.

Inside, the decor is superb with a real old fashioned feel to it, a must for any visitor who wants to sample the atmosphere of a country hotel.

The room I was in was massive with large modern tv, couch and 4 poster bed. The room was cleaned every day to an excellent standard.

Anyone who stays here MUST try the food, I ate breakfast and dinner every day I was there and could not find fault in one single meal.The evening meals were absolutely outstanding, with a great choice to suit all.

The steak was one of the best I have ever eaten and would thououghly recommend it. I dont think I can praise the food enough.... try it you wont be dissapointed.

The staff in the hotel are extremely friendly, keen to make conversation and nothing is to much of an issue. You can order food from the bar and once ready they carry your drinks through to the restaurant for you, a nice touch I thought.

The owner is a lovely guy and takes time out to join you for a chat and spend time with his customers.

All in a fantastic hotel and well worth a visit if your in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paulbhoy
Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review because I feel this hotel doesn't get the recognition it deserves , the hotel only has 13 rooms as space hasn't been sacrificed in order to make more profit . A big plus to me :) the owners are very pleasant and approachable and can not do enough for you . The steak I was served was one of the best I have ever had ! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dalston hall to anyone. I will be booking another stay there myself, so thanks again to all at dalston hall for making us feel so welcome . All the best. Ian

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank ian r
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed here for a short Easter trip. The staff were lovely and very friendly, the room was extremely clean and the views of the grounds were beautiful. We had a meal at the hotel and really enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we felt comfortable wondering around and exploring! We had a small problem with the water tank in the toilet keep refilling, we told them at breakfast and by the time we had eaten and got back to our room it was sorted out! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from a 2 night stay at Dalston Hall and we won't be returning and would not recommend, highly overpriced and customer service is appauling, rooms tired and neglected.

We travel around quite alot and have wrote reviews on other hotels and we are by no means a picky couple and don't rate or review hotels based on the weather or the car park like some people do. We're not fussy and generally dont go with a view of perfectionism however this place was a joke.

From our point of view this hotel is not worth the money they charge, we paid £290 for 2 nights in a suppose to be Deluxe room and it was far from deluxe, we would have had better quality in a Travelodge of Premier Inn for half the price. Reasons below.

On check in we were not offered any help with our bags or if we would like showing to our room, we weren't told any information on breakfast times or dinner times, not asked if we would like further information on anything, basically just given our key and told where our room was.

There is NEVER anyone on reception, my partner had to ring the bell several times before getting anyone to appear and took 20 minutes each time.

Breakfast is tried to be charged at £15 per person per morning, thats £60 for 2 breakfasts??

We were asked if we would like dinner, we said that we would think about it and let them know later in the day, we were told we better hurry and make a decision as it would be very busy and we may not get a table, on both nights the restaurant was empty so they had no prior bookings so could have just let us take our time to decide rather than trying to force us to make a decision and grab more money off us.

Room service is charge at £5.00 PER PERSON, thats £10.00 to deliver food to your door, it is litterally a 1 minute walk to our room from the kitchen.

The grounds arent really grounds, just grass with some walls, although it is well kept its hardly as its described on their website espeically with the Nestle factory and crane within every view point.

The room itself was dark and tired, (pictures have been uploaded). With the rates they are charging it would be very easy to update the room with a lick of paint and new furniture. The bed creaked every time we turned over in the night constantly waking each other up, the plug in the bath was broke, the furniture itself was marked and warn and the carpet stained and tired. Lampshades dusty and tired looking and the wardrobe is just a joke, 2 white doors with hangers that dont even fit in straight with a manky old ironing board thrown in it.

In all the hotel felt very unloved and deserted and you're just left feeling like you're on your own in the place, I think we saw 3 peple there throughout our stay and that included staff. No one was ever on the bar or reception and upon trying to ring via our room phone no one ever answered.

The lounge area and dining area for events is lovely and well kept in terms of decor so I dare say for a wedding or function it would be good, however as a hotel it just doesnt tick any boxes at all and they need to start spending all this money they are charging people to update the £150 p/night rooms they are charging for and get some staff training to start giving value for money.

As said at the start we are no means picky people and we except that no where is perfect and you can't please everyone however I had to write this review to pre-warn anyone just booking Dalston Hall as a hotel to think twice and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple