“One nigh stay - adequate but thats it”

Tennyson House Hotel
Tennyson House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Bedford B&B and Inns
Manchester
“One nigh stay - adequate but thats it”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Warmly greeted upon arrival and doors and area described to us. Shown to our room - room one on the ground floor at the front. Not ideal as noisy due to road and people coming and going but we werent in the room long. En Suite - adequete in what it provided but sliding door came away from runner and didnt fully shut!
Furntuire worn down - stains on dressing table and bedding had holes in it! no light bulb in bedside lamp which was a shame though a plus point was plenty of plug sockets
Breakfast ordered on arrival and came quick enough - bacon a bit like carboard and sausages of the cheapest variety but edible enough. Lady seving breakfast was very friendly.
When we got back to the room at approx 11pm, the occupants of room 2A (Opposite us) opened the door and brusquely asked if we had a charger for an iphone4!!! not sure if they were staff or other guests - either is inapproriate and di make me feel a bit uncomfortable knowing they were in the next room. Did explain this when checking out and although person looked annoyed no explanation or apology was provoided.
I appreciate this was a saturday night in bedford and did include breakfast and free wifi but i did feel it was overpriced due to the quality of the food and facilities etc and i would be reluctant to stay again. Its a shame as it has real potential but has the feel of a family home thats quickly been opened up (personal washing still on show out back) without that much thought or planning,

Room Tip: Do not go for room 1
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fizzypulp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had to be in Bedford for one night and stayed at the Tennyson House Hotel. The hotel is very clean although in need of some tlc in places which should not put you off staying here. I stayed in room 1 on the ground floor which is next to the front door so did have some noise from people coming and going although not late into the evening. The room is also on the ground floor at the front of the hotel and being female and travelling on my own I did not leave the windows open during the night.
The bed was very comfortable and the bed linnen very clean with a small en suite bathroom you have everything you need. The breakfast was good. If I have to be in Bedford overnight again I will certainly stay here. Good value, good and friendly service - what more do you need.

Room Tip: Not room 1 for reasons explained above.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank clutterbuck
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel whilst attending an athletics event at the near by stadium. Customer service here is excellent, so is the breakfast. We stayed in a family room. Beds were comfortable and nicely made, nice clean towels. The en suite was obviously an addition to a large room but was clean. Close to the town centre. Will definitely be back again when in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wolvogirl
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My sister booked the room for both of us so I wasn't sure what I was going to find but was pleasantly surprised. There was a secured car park, the room and bathroom were clean and well presented. The customer service was the best I've received in a long time. My sister and I stayed at various hotels in different parts of the world so we k now what we're measuring it to.
From the moment we stepped foot in we were treated very well until we left. We came over to attend a funeral so what we needed was a nice cosy hotel to make our stay pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Berni S
Liverpool
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is the ideal place if all you want is a roof over your head for the night, a good breakfast, and then be on your way.

My stay was entirely based around a day visit to London (Wembley Stadium specifically), and the impossibility of getting a late-night train back home to Liverpool. Having been brought up in Bedford I was familiar with the area and the ease of direct rail travel to London, so the answer was easy; drive to Bedford, park in the Tennyson car park and pick up a key (long before the official check-in time, but the proprietor was only too happy to accommodate this after being warned by phone), then a 10 minute walk to Bedford station to pick up a train to St. Pancras - they run about every 20 minutes or so. Trains back to Bedford ran well past 10 pm, and I was back at the Tennyson for about 11.30.

The room was basic but clean and comfortable, with tea/coffee facilities, T.V. and free WiFi. There was a washbasin, but the toilet was on the next landing and shared (no problem though). Breakfast was excellent (full English) and very pleasantly served by a charming lady who I took to be the proprietor's wife. In fact the service was delightful throughout, although I was hardly there long enough to experience much of it.

All in all, the perfect solution for my needs. Only tip...although the car parking is perfectly adequate, parking under the overhanging trees will result in your car being covered with bird droppings. Try to avoid (but difficult to see how).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I arrived from Strasbourg after an arduous journey to Bedford but found the Hotel easy to find, near the station and appreciated the friendly warm welcome on arrival. I was given places to grab something to eat, (it was quite late) close by facilities I could use and a street map which I found very useful. I liked the choice of a continental breakfast but went for 'The full english breakfast' which was excellent!

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room as I find traffic noise disturbing, it was perfect for my needs, very quiet...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ekrtraveller2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here mainly because it was close to where I needed to be the next day. The hotel was off a very busy main road but had a large sign at the front so was easy to find. Parked around the back with lots of parking spaces. On arrival I was warmly welcomed and told about a few things, how to open the front door and how to open from the outside, which was very helpful. Breakfast was between 7 and 8, which was convenient, but might not have been for everyone. Also had to decide the night before what I wanted to eat the next morning, which was fine but sometimes you don't always know what you want the night before. Was offered a map of Bedford which again was helpful. Shown to the room and was pleasantly surprised but there were a few issues with the carpet, with parts missing near the bathroom, but was clean. The bathroom had no toiletries, which was disappointing, only a soap dispenser on the hand basin. I thought the hotel was quite noisy especially the tv noise from adjoining bedroom, also very noisy first thing in the morning, lots of doors banging and footsteps down to the shared bathrooms. Breakfast okay and tea and coffee all good. Not sure whether I would stay here again but the people very hospitable

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family