“Lovely hotel”
Review of Bedford Swan Hotel

Bedford Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I booked the Swan hotel for myself and 9 colleagues. We had spent a day at the bodyflight centre and dinner at the horse and jockey and this seemed like the perfect place to stay after a great days out. Location was great, only a 15-minute walk from the station. Bar area was nice (albeit ran out of Baileys!). I wish I had asked for a non smoking room, as the room I was allocated really did smell of stale smoke, I didn't realise hotels still had smoking rooms/floors. Despite me making the booking for 10 of us, I was given the worst room, a junior colleague was allocated a suite! Overall not a bad stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Many thanks for posting your review. We are delighted your day was such a success. All public areas are non smoking, however we do have a few smoking rooms as there is a demand for them. We hope to see you again in future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Me and my partner married at the Bedford Swan Hotel on 24th August 2012 and the day couldn't have gone better.

Rachel, the wedding planner, did a fantastic job in the build up prior to the day giving us the information and details we needed making sure everything was going well. Then on the day Rachel set the room up following requests I had given her perfectly, the room looked absolutely beautiful, Rachel had done a wonderful job.

The day itself came and we couldn't have asked for any more from the staff, the day ran smoothly without a hitch. Erkel, our toastmaster, was brilliant all day long, anything we wanted he made sure we had it, his team on the day were equally brilliant. The food that was served was some of the best we've had in a long time and everyone was impressed at the quality.

All our guests have commented on what a wonderful day it was, with particular comments towards Erkel and the team.

We really did have the most perfect day, thank you so much to everyone at the Swan who made this day even more special for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Congratulations on your recent wedding. Many thanks for your delightful feedback. Your comments have been circulated to the team who I know will be delighted to read them. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

After reading some reviews on trip advisor I was a little anxious on what to expect from this hotel, however all expectations were exceeded. On arrival the reception team made us very welcome in a truly genuine manner, Sian being extremely helpful. The bedroom was comfortable with gorgeous views over the embankment. Bathroom was clean, the decor is a little dated however I was expecting this due to a previous tripadvisor complaint. I really don’t think its a big deal, not every hotel has the cashflow to sustain a modern look. The rest of the hotel looked fabulous!! & certainly over compensated for the very few areas that were lacking.

The pinnacle of my stay was my trip to the Lotus Spa. The spa rooms are cosy but relaxing. I was so very fortunate to have Sam as my spa therapist, who is also a reiki master. I enjoyed a facial, then back & foot massage. I have been to many fantastic hotel spas, but the treatment I received from Sam surpasses them all. She is passionate about her job & has a beautiful personality, the customer service she exhibited is an asset to the hotel.

Cocktail bar is very relaxing with a very helpful barmaid who really looked after us. I enjoyed afternoon tea in the lobby, subdued atmosphere & I loved the classic decor. Washrooms in the lobby area should definitely be next on the refurb list, but they gave us a good laugh. Breakfast offers an extensive selection, could be warmer. The pool area boasts more gorgeous decor & a Jacuzzi. The addition of sauna, steam room & separate changing rooms would make this area of the hotel complete. In general most staff were great but this was not consistent among all, more professional & enthusiastic service from staff would really give this hotel the edge.

In summary The Bedford Swan offers fabulous surroundings, perfect atmosphere, outstanding spa therapists, good food & staff. Perfect place to hideaway & relax for a few days. Look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bean M

Many thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted we managed to exceed your expectations and hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Thank you so much to The Swan Hotel for all their help in ensuring our wedding day went without a hitch! everything ran so smoothly on the day and the room looked fantastic The food was lovely, all our guests said the same!, the canapes, main meal and evening buffet were all fabulous. Thanks also for accommodating all the special dietary requirements without it being a problem at all.

Our wedding planner Rachel, all the service staff, bar staff and also our Toast Master, Erkul, were really friendly, helpful and very professional. This is such a lovely venue, beautiful inside and such a pretty location - overlooking the embankment and river. If you are planning a wedding, we would definitely recommend you consider The Swan Hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Firstly congratulations on your recent marriage. We are delighted your wedding was such a success. Your comments have been circulated to the team who I know will be pleased to read them. We look forward to seeing you again in future.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone involved at the Swan Hotel for making my sister's wedding day such a wonderful and memorable occasion. Special thanks to Erkul (a witty character) our toast master and his team, for ensuring that the days events ran like clockwork and who all made it seem so effortless. The Hotel itself is a stunning 18th century building, with superb views overlooking the river Ouse. I have never before stayed at a Hotel with so much charm or character and where the staff are so willing and eager to help out. Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2012
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Thank you so much for your review of your sister's wedding at The Bedford Swan. I am delighted this was so successful and have passed your kind feedback on to Erkul. We hope to see you again in future.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel is beautiful. I'd never been before, and was surprised as to why not when entering! My family and I went for afternoon tea for a birthday which was lovely - good food, nice waitress. The only thing lacking was not being acknowledged by staff very well. We entered from the door nearest the car park, and wandered through somewhat at a loss. When we went to reception and asked where we should sit, we were told we could sit anywhere, but then had to go and find a waitress. We must have chosen a bad spot as she only wandered past us again once and didn't appear to notice we wanted to pay up, so again had to go up to reception. This wasn't a huge problem however, and the food and decor made up for it - very antique, mix and match with a lovely exclusive quality feel. I plan to return to try out the dinner in future, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Many thanks for posting your review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent afternoon tea experience. I sincerely apologise my team failed to acknowledge you promptly and will pick this up with them. I am delighted you enjoyed the Hotel and food and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Just wanted to say thank you to Sarah and the entire team at The Bedford Swan. I am an Events Manager who was looking after a large international delegation staying at the hotel over several days. We work with a lot of hotels on group bookings and it can frequently be a nightmare. This was the friendliest and most accommodating hotel I have worked with and I really appreciate all of the support. As far as feedback indicates, everyone had a great stay and I really recommend it to individuals and Event Managers dealing with the complex logistics of a large group.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and kind comments regarding Sarah and the team at The Bedford Swan. We look forward to working with you on future events.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Embankment Hotel
#13 of 18 in Bedford
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!