“Fantastic Spa retreat!”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Northamptonshire, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Spa retreat!”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Wife and myself have stopped at this hotel twice now and both times it has been more than we had expected. We both love the rustic look, feel and lay out of the hotel but with all the modern approach and service you would expect from any top hotel. The staff are warm friendly and approachable which in my mind is what make's a hotel what it is! We were stopping on the taste of Bedford deal which is an amazing offer including a truly gorgeous seven course evening dinner with a bottle of wine thrown in as well. The spa is great very cosy and quaint almost like an old wine cellar has been filled with water and really is a nice place to unwind and relax.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We chose the Swan Hotel for a family gathering (lunch plus afternoon tea) between Christmas and New Year, on the basis of recommendations from a colleague and good reports on tripadvisor. On booking we were told the "festive menu" plus the regular River Room menu would be available. Some of our group avoided having turkey prior to this event with the intention of ordering it from their festive menu. On the day, we were offered a very much reduced menu - that didn't include turkey. When we asked about the festive menu and regular River Room menus a member of staff went away, we thought to find out, but we never saw him again.

While the majority of the food was fine, the vegetables were dramatically undercooked and half the vegetables were very late arriving at our table. There were no napkins on the table until we asked if any were to be provided.

We had afternoon tea before we left and the sandwiches were dry and the bar area where we sat was decidedly chilly.

One positive point, the bar staff could not have been more helpful in assisting us as we chose our wines for the day.

We emailed the hotel to point out these issues, asking them to explain these failings and what would be done in the future to ensure they do not happen again. We were told:
"Naturally we will take the opportunity to investigate the issues you have raised with us. The Festive Menu should indeed have been available on the day........ Should you wish to rebook with us for a future date please allow me to reassure you that you will be well looked after and receive the levels of service for which we are well know."

Given the plethora of failings in quality and service, we are totally unimpressed by their lack of explanation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Bedford hotels

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Swan based on the recommendation of a colleague who rated it highly. I was in room 148. I was woken at 1.30 am by a loud motorised noise just outside the window. This was made worse by the aircon unit heating the room uncomfortably while set to 17 degrees. I was moved to another room by the night manager when I asked. However with the disturbance I did not get a decent night's sleep. In fact I lost 4 hours sleep and was not a happy camper. I got different explanations for the noise. It was variously a generator or the extractor fans from the kitchen which somebody forgot to switch off.
The duty manager offered a discount on the room and a complimentary upgrade on my next visit. I won't be taking them up on a future visit.
We had a meal there. The staff were obliging but very slow as they were clearly understaffed.
Overall the staff were helpful but I won't be returning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I've been to the Lotus Spa twice now in the last few months for some much needed time out and both times it has been absolutely fantastic. Both times I had treatments with Rachel who was brilliant... very professional and delivered fabulous treatments (often massages can be disappointing but not the case here!) I love that you can use the amazing spa facilities before or after treatments for free as it extends the relaxation perfectly... Rachel and the spa are such a find I will be coming back lots more... I just hope that not too many people suss out this lovely haven!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Me and my husband stayed here as a little gift to ourselves. The reception staff were extremely polite and welcoming. The room was very spacious and spotless....my husband took a dip in the pool and said how relaxing it was. During the evening we spent time in the bar area where the staff had A1 customer service. The meal in the restaurant was superb and the staff were lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable and after a wonderful nights sleep we indulged in a delightful breakfast. Overall a wonderful stay which i would definitely recommend

• Stayed February 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Family group of 6 had a really lovely Sunday lunch. Everything from initial service and help for my disabled mum, to the great freshly cooked food was just as we hoped. We will be back as soon as possible. All the staff we encountered were friendly, helpful and cheerful. A great thank you

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
devon
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed ten days in the Swan this month. Every day was as good as the first. The welcome was friendly and efficient it made you feel at home as soon as you arrived. The breakfast is totally amazing. There is so much choice. It's the best I have ever been served. The dining staff are very attentive. The temperature of the food is constantly checked. Jugs are refilled. Our room was spotless our whole stay. Chocolate and water left for us in the fridge. The lounge is a beautiful place for relaxing. I cannot praise the hotel and it's dedicated staff highly enough. I can't wait to return

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!