Bedford Swan Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Bedford(Bedford)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$105
US$112
US$100
Travelodge Bedford(Bedford)(Great Value!)
US$60
Travelodge
The Knife & Cleaver(Houghton Conquest)
US$139
Priceline
  • Restaurant
US$80
PremierInn.com
Woodland Manor Hotel(Clapham)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$101
Agoda.com
1,729 results
All reviewsafternoon teaterrace barlotus spaoverlooking the riverpool and jacuzzilovely hotelwedding receptiontown centrecar parkingsunday lunchembankmentmeganousetreatmentvenue
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Back to Bedford after a long time away. A great riverside town centre venue. A lot of money had been spent on refurbishment since my last visit, but I didn't notice so much difference. Room comfortable, clean and functional but no style. Free wifi appreciated but frustrating to access and slow. Breakfast good. Overall not quite worth the £97 room rate.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My sister and I went for afternoon tea with her 2 children (aged 1 and 2). lovely surroundings and we were made to feel very comfortable by all. Our waitress, Sue, was particularly helpful and she even made up a hot chocolate for the 2 year old that was just the right temperature for him. Very accommodating and we were surprised at the amount of scones, biscuits, teacakes and 3 drinks we got for only £10!! Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Wife and myself have stopped at this hotel twice now and both times it has been more than we had expected. We both love the rustic look, feel and lay out of the hotel but with all the modern approach and service you would expect from any top hotel. The staff are warm friendly and approachable which in my mind is what make's a hotel what it is! We were stopping on the taste of Bedford deal which is an amazing offer including a truly gorgeous seven course evening dinner with a bottle of wine thrown in as well. The spa is great very cosy and quaint almost like an old wine cellar has been filled with water and really is a nice place to unwind and relax.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We chose the Swan Hotel for a family gathering (lunch plus afternoon tea) between Christmas and New Year, on the basis of recommendations from a colleague and good reports on tripadvisor. On booking we were told the "festive menu" plus the regular River Room menu would be available. Some of our group avoided having turkey prior to this event with the intention of ordering it from their festive menu. On the day, we were offered a very much reduced menu - that didn't include turkey. When we asked about the festive menu and regular River Room menus a member of staff went away, we thought to find out, but we never saw him again.

While the majority of the food was fine, the vegetables were dramatically undercooked and half the vegetables were very late arriving at our table. There were no napkins on the table until we asked if any were to be provided.

We had afternoon tea before we left and the sandwiches were dry and the bar area where we sat was decidedly chilly.

One positive point, the bar staff could not have been more helpful in assisting us as we chose our wines for the day.

We emailed the hotel to point out these issues, asking them to explain these failings and what would be done in the future to ensure they do not happen again. We were told:
"Naturally we will take the opportunity to investigate the issues you have raised with us. The Festive Menu should indeed have been available on the day........ Should you wish to rebook with us for a future date please allow me to reassure you that you will be well looked after and receive the levels of service for which we are well know."

Given the plethora of failings in quality and service, we are totally unimpressed by their lack of explanation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Swan based on the recommendation of a colleague who rated it highly. I was in room 148. I was woken at 1.30 am by a loud motorised noise just outside the window. This was made worse by the aircon unit heating the room uncomfortably while set to 17 degrees. I was moved to another room by the night manager when I asked. However with the disturbance I did not get a decent night's sleep. In fact I lost 4 hours sleep and was not a happy camper. I got different explanations for the noise. It was variously a generator or the extractor fans from the kitchen which somebody forgot to switch off.
The duty manager offered a discount on the room and a complimentary upgrade on my next visit. I won't be taking them up on a future visit.
We had a meal there. The staff were obliging but very slow as they were clearly understaffed.
Overall the staff were helpful but I won't be returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business